Vale of Oxbury BR Western Region N Gauge

carlwooduk

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

This update has been long overdue, apols to those of you who have posted for recently without a reply from me. Following a move of house from Norfolk to Cotswolds I needed to build a proper workshop for VOO to live in and decided to take a year off exhibiting the layout.

The workshop is 16 by 10, fitted with electrics and lined with insulation and plaster board. A bit too warm on a hot day but very acceptable for most of year. Pic at end.

Work has continued remodelling the fiddle yard to make operation more straightforward, and this year I have cracked on with scenic detailing ahead of a return to exhibition circuit. Still much I want to get done including weathering of track and roads.

I few pics below from iPhone, sorry not of greatest quality

So look out for VOO at the following exhibitions in coming months-

1. TINGS 10 Sept ( I am in need of an additional operator so if you have experience of DCC and exhibiting and fancy helping seen me a PM )

2. Rail-Ex Tauton 22 Oct

3. Warley 25 Nov

Cheers

Carl

post-6860-0-79881500-1466352164_thumb.jpegpost-6860-0-12600300-1466352203_thumb.jpegpost-6860-0-98630400-1466352240_thumb.jpegpost-6860-0-69758700-1466352271_thumb.jpegpost-6860-0-39806900-1466352397_thumb.jpegpost-6860-0-35743400-1466352674_thumb.jpeg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Grabbing an hour  every other evening to make progress on landscape vegetation, slow progress but the layering is improving the look of the lineside areas. Materials used include rubberised horsehair, to represent brambles, Heki and Woodland scenic foliage. When these are glued in place, a fine sprinkle of woodland scenic fine / medium scatter using a mix of subtle colours is put over the top to blend it all in. Static grass for the more unkempt areas to be added in foreground to create a feel of a mid summers day.

A couple of photos to share 

post-6860-0-22853500-1467144169_thumb.jpg

Class 22 picking up milk empties from VOO creamery. Loco has been well weathered, where these ever clean?

post-6860-0-87930000-1467144803_thumb.jpg

post-6860-0-78831100-1467145007_thumb.jpg

1015 Champion on an inter-regional passenger from west country to midlands, 

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A running session with Hydraulics, today and a bit more work on scenics, layering the greenery.

Locos all weathered by CF loco's.

Western Sovereign on up parcels.

post-6860-0-22745100-1468182818_thumb.jpeg

post-6860-0-89989900-1468182871_thumb.jpeg

post-6860-0-65392200-1468182944_thumb.jpeg

95xx dropping goods in yard.

post-6860-0-01364500-1468182470_thumb.jpegpost-6860-0-14146100-1468182579_thumb.jpeg

• Like 14

• 2 months later...

I saw your fantastic layout at the 'TINGS' exhibition yesterday, the first time I have seen it in the flesh and I feel that how a properly authentic late steam age GW (BR) country junction station should be and it was one of my favourite layouts at the show.

Sam

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

These pictures don't do this layout any justice at all - it looks way better in real life and was without doubt (not wishing to upset anyone else exhibiting at TINGS) the best layout at TINGS closely followed by Hatch End.

The back scene is pure genius and makes the layout stand out and reminds me of another N Gauge layout with a similar kind of back scene for exactly the same reason.

Edited by scoobyra

• RMweb Premium

Thank you gents for the kind comments. It was a great to have so many people stop and watch the trains go past on the layout. What makes an exhibition is the conversations you have with people from across the range of modelling experience; its a positive experience to share my own knowledge and learning gained from building the layout and also get ideas and learn from others who have valuable expertise.

The scenery has had a lot more work since being last exhibited in 2014 and the track / road weathering has made a huge difference.

I am very grateful to my friends, Mike, Nick and Ged for again helping to operate the layout over the whole weekend; also to David and his Grandson, Harry (aged 4 1/2 !)  as guest operators on Sunday.

A  request; if any RM web members has  any good photos from TINGs of the layout  can they kindly PM me as I the ones I took late Sunday were rushed not great!

Hall on Parcels

post-6860-0-00876300-1473703490_thumb.jpg

An overall shot that's not too bad.

post-6860-0-75205500-1473702645_thumb.jpg

Next exhibition Taunton 22 Oct 16, a second request ;  if anyone with Exhibition operator experience is up for helping out sat / sun or both days  please PM me; we now need a 4th crew member!

carl

• Like 9

I thought this was the best layout at the show. I actually like the left hand end of the layout where there is very little trackwork. The tunnel mouth and surrounding area is superbly modelled. I could hear faint rumbling noises coming from  inside the tunnel for a little while before a sound fitted 37 emerged on a freight!

andy

Thank you gents for the kind comments. It was a great to have so many people stop and watch the trains go past on the layout. What makes an exhibition is the conversations you have with people from across the range of modelling experience; its a positive experience to share my own knowledge and learning gained from building the layout and also get ideas and learn from others who have valuable expertise.

The scenery has had a lot more work since being last exhibited in 2014 and the track / road weathering has made a huge difference.

I am very grateful to my friends, Mike, Nick and Ged for again helping to operate the layout over the whole weekend; also to David and his Grandson, Harry (aged 4 1/2 !)  as guest operators on Sunday.

A  request; if any RM web members has  any good photos from TINGs of the layout  can they kindly PM me as I the ones I took late Sunday were rushed not great!

Hall on Parcels

attachicon.gifDSC_0372.JPG

An overall shot that's not too bad.

attachicon.gifTINGs overall photo.jpg

Next exhibition Taunton 22 Oct 16, a second request ;  if anyone with Exhibition operator experience is up for helping out sat / sun or both days  please PM me; we now need a 4th crew member!

carl

As one of the regular operators on this layout, can I echo my friend Carl's sentiments, in that what makes exhibiting really enjoyable, is not just operating the layout and meeting other exhibitors, but talking to the public about their own ideas, aspirations, and plans for their own projects.  We met and talked to some really interesting people throughout the weekend, and I know many went off with a new seed planted in their mind, about how to change this or how to change that.  So if you see us at Taunton or Warley, please come and have a chat, we really enjoy talking to you, and finding out about your plans etc.  Nick M 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely one of the best N Gauge layouts around. I was standing in front of it on Sunday, discussing the bridge abutment work with a friend. Very neatly done, and I've picked up a very useful tip about constructing pavements.

I was very impressed with this layout when I saw it on Sunday. Quite a few of the N gauge layouts I see at exhibitions are basically glorified trainsets but this is N gauge as it should be done! Excellent work.

• RMweb Premium

Vale of Oxbury at Railex Taunton 22 & 23 October.

Thanks for comments following the show, it was a pleasure to speak to so many people; a large majority had not seen the layout  before as it was its first time on exhibit in the south west.

The operating team was down to 3  so quite an intense weekend, a big  call out to my friends, Mike and Nick who again were expert operators and probably know the layout operationally better than me.  The evening beverages were well deserved and the Pub called the Hankeridge near our Hotel was a great find serving very decent Badger ales.

The layout ran very well, some locos did not, but we had plenty to chose from.  Most comment again centred on the scenery and transition from fields to back-scene,  the new GWR footbridge from Maurice at Osbournes really compliments the station buildings and etch fencing too caught many peoples eye as well.

We were well looked after by Steve and the team  at the Somerset Railway Modellers club, the venue at a large independent school was impressive ( think Hogwarts with modern extensions ); catering for exhibitors superb ( TINGS take note ).   A big surprise late Sunday afternoon  as the show closing was an award from the Club for the "Best layout " as voted by the members; an unexpected honour. 

A few photos below, if any RM webbers have other decent  photos please PM me as I did not take many and would welcome a few more for my archive.

post-6860-0-64172200-1477341082_thumb.jpg

14xx on Shed.

post-6860-0-06258000-1477341110_thumb.jpg

Type 3 on stone train with Brake Tender; going on new GWR Footbridge

post-6860-0-60494300-1477341211_thumb.jpg

Type 4 on Bogie Bolsters

post-6860-0-83996600-1477341248_thumb.jpg

Western Champion On mail  train with Pullman now weathered and not shiny!

post-6860-0-72533000-1477341390_thumb.jpg

No trains but the Railway worker must have won the pools if he can afford a new Ford Anglia parked in front of his cottage!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Was lovely to meet you Carl over the weekend also to finally see Oxbury in the flesh. I said it at Taunton and I shall say it again, Oxbury is absolutely stunning my friend. I wish I could of spent more time viewing, but as you know I was also exhibiting. Looking forward to seeing it again sometime in the near future. Also congratulations on winning 'Best Layout' Well deserved indeed :sungum:   

Cheers, Anthony   

• Like 2