Vale of Oxbury BR Western Region N Gauge

carlwooduk

superb work, the use (or rather lack of) of the space is so much more realistic than cramming as many buildings and features into your available space. Its an easy mistake to make but you've steered well clear of it and its to your benefit. The sight of trains moving through a realistic landscape makes all your planning worthwhile.

Now if this had been a Scottish borders layout I wouldn't have been able to control my excitement!!

• 7 months later...

This has just been pointed out to me by a mate of mine, not sure how I had not come across it by now. A lovely layout showing the use of N gauge at its best, a railway in a landscape. Most excellent modelling, what is the latest on its development?

best wishes and happy new year to all readers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Simon,

Thanks for stopping by the thread and asking on progress. Lots has been done but my discipline of posting updates on RM web has been woeful!

I have been ensuring the layout runs smoothly with the stock that will be used at the N Gauge show in September. On reflection I had built the fiddle yard with insufficient "roads", good news is that the 8 at present can be readily expanded to 10 to accommodate another 4 trains. The layout lives in my Garage and a downside of the winter is the cold and damp atmosphere that makes modelling out there less attractive. This however means focus on "scratch building" Buildings and making trees  from etch frets in the comfort of the  house.

Latest buildings completed are a row of 4 Railway workers cottages and a Standard Pattern GWR Station Masters House.

post-6860-0-04740100-1357598052_thumb.jpg
post-6860-0-99650000-1357598198_thumb.jpg

A couple of snaps  below of 1 section of the layout that has been slipped indoors and is sitting on the dining table for now. Domestic authorities have given a temporary permit!!

post-6860-0-45110500-1357597795_thumb.jpg
post-6860-0-92276100-1357597990_thumb.jpg

post-6860-0-45110500-1357597795_thumb.jpg

post-6860-0-92276100-1357597990_thumb.jpg

post-6860-0-04740100-1357598052_thumb.jpg

post-6860-0-99650000-1357598198_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

One of the things I love about this layout is the vast, rolling, uncluttered countryside - simply large areas of little more than just grass (or similar), maybe bounded by a few fences or copses.

For me it's quite magnificent in it's study of sweeping, rural 'minimalism'. I hope you are not tempted to crowd those areas with buildings / farms or whatever. This seems to be a great lesson in 'less is more'.

But then again this is not my layout ... :)

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Southernboy on the less is more comment.

The suggestion of space and open countryside is well captured as well as beautifully modelled.

I look forward to seeing more as I follow your progress.

Great work.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Carl

It was already good, but the details you are starting to add are really enhancing the scene.  As you say, the addition of a few more things that add "purpose" - eg cows in the pasture - will also help to bring the whole thing to life.

The photo of the mail train coming out of the tunnel is especially effective - the blend between the modelled scenery and the printed backscene is very well done.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Hiya, the 22 was a painted EP sample I lent Carl for the purpose of photography on his layout.

I was over hs house a few months back and believe me, it looks a proper treat 'in the flesh', and should attract some nice attention at the N gauge show in Leamington this year.

Looking good mate.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Starting to make progress on the “Middle board” with scenic detailing. Main work done to this board in recent weeks includes :-

1.       Station platforms tops using Acrylic paints and Geoscenic fine road product . Edges picked out in a muted white.

2.       Hedges and paths for Station Masters House

3.       Pavements and some kerbs added. More Kerbs to be painted though using masking tape.

4.       2nd layer of scenic greenery. Much more layering to go.

5.       Road surface has had a 2nd coat of paint, it’s now ready for airbrush weathering when it is warm enough outside.

The job I am most looking forward to is final painting of the Station buildings and then adding all the Station details;  Water Cranes,  GWR seats,  GWR platform fencing, Trolleys, Station signage and just a few  people. The only item not in the stock box are lamps. I am undecided what to go for. I am not a fan of working lights, the Ratio Station lamps could work but look a bit too early for my layout based in the 60’s any suggestions?

March 31 is my  “self imposed” deadline to  complete  middle board scenics as it has the most buildings to detail, leaving me 5 weeks for the final left side board before the Model Rail photographer visits the Vale.

Couple of pics showing the progress.

Carl

post-6860-0-43138800-1362237198_thumb.jpg

post-6860-0-76761300-1362237245_thumb.jpg

post-6860-0-33655300-1362237295_thumb.jpg

post-6860-0-21617300-1362237328_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

As always it's a delight to catch an update from you carlwooduk, I can never get enough of your layout.

I'm intrigued by your mention of 'Geoscenic fine road product' - any chance of closer pictures? Or a link to the product itself? (Google didn't seem to know about it, or at least not in the first five or so pages I looked through)

Edited by Southernboy

I know you say that the ratio lamps are a bit too old for your layout, Is it not possible that the lamps have survived without replacement when other parts of the station have been updated?

I'm lead to believe that this was the case in many areas.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have been concentrating on the Station and the detailing is coming along nicely.

The station surface was finished in Geoscenics road powder code RP X Fine ( 600g Bag ). In the end I settled for BH Enterprises lamps in white metal, they were a hoop pattern but easily "chopped" to give  the curved  neck look I was after.

Other details include

• Station timetables / Posters from "pre-cut"
  • GWR benches from Springside
  • Fire Buckets from Springside
  • Station Fencing Ratio
  • Water Crane Ratio
  • Station Name Boards, scratch built with names supplied to order from Ebay trader, not bad but colour is slightly off.
  • Phone box, new Peco version that has been glazed.

Island waiting room needs weathering and glazing. A few more lamps, platform barrows, sacks/ boxes and seats to add and to give the station purpose  - a few People !

Carl

post-6860-0-56098600-1364666075_thumb.jpg

post-6860-0-23648000-1364666131_thumb.jpg

post-6860-0-05153900-1364666215_thumb.jpg

• Like 6