Vale of Oxbury BR Western Region N Gauge

carlwooduk

• RMweb Premium

Great to see this layout on Saturday at FEBEX.

Its been a while since I saw it in the flesh, so it was great to catch up with it, in all its beautiful splendour.

If you've never seen, get to a show where its appearing - you wont be disappointed!

Thanks chaps!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A great weekend at Alton and as always good to catch up with friends from the Forums. The layout performed well and only a few locos needing remedial work after 2 days intensive operation. In the back hall James, the exhibition Manager did us proud to be alongside Bevois & St Denys a very large finely modelled N Gauge layout in Network South East era, i had yet to see it in its extended form.

From conversations held with visitors it feels lots of people are contemplating change of scale to build N Gauge layouts, hopefully we were able to give them ideas from our experience.

Thanks to Steve D helping to operate on Saturday, you did just fine as a DCC newbie, also I hugely appreciate the support from the core operating crew Nick, Mike & Ray without them the "show does not go on the road".

Really appreciate the links to the Youtube vids, i never get round to taking any. I only managed a few photos as below. Next outing Nailsea, Bristol 23rd March.

post-6860-0-35693700-1517858328_thumb.jpg

post-6860-0-44567100-1517858414_thumb.jpg

my new MGB that needs a grill repaint !

post-6860-0-56698800-1517858583_thumb.jpg

Edited by carlwooduk
  • Like 14

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Next weekend ( 23rd & 24th March) VOO is appearing at Nailsea Model Railway show. It's a great one to attend for N Gauge followers, as 4 layouts appear showcasing N Gauge. Melton Mowbray North , Ludlow, Elmsfield and yours truly. Stop by and say hello.

New weathered stock ready to appear just back from Tom at CF Locos.

post-6860-0-06575500-1521323228_thumb.jpg

Green Peco Collett, late crest added and renumbered to 2221 an Oxford Loco.

post-6860-0-36736600-1521323301_thumb.jpg

Farish Nunney Castle now renamed as Pendis Castle ( a loco my grandfather drove when at `swindon before it was preserved )

Pair of Panniers - Farish Green 64xx and Dapol 57xx renumbered to 7760.

post-6860-0-04648300-1521323589_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Had a very enjoyable day at the Nailsea & District Model Railway Exhibition on Saturday, was great to see the layout in the flesh once again. Really is superb, and so natural. 

Here's my video from the day, starting at 29:33 (best till last) ;)

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9P2IDI8VOI

post-20663-0-71884600-1522001943_thumb.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hornby Magazine July edition features Vale of Oxbury ahead of its appearance at the Great Electric Train Show in October.

Trevor Jones has done a great job on Photography, an unusual angle to capture a Brush 4 bursting out of the Tunnel on an Oil train graces the front cover. Hard to tell its N gauge.

post-6860-0-86484700-1529238029_thumb.png

• Like 9

I've just picked up my copy and have made it about half way through the article (I'll read the rest over lunch). I've really enjoyed what I've read so far and the pictures have brought back some great memories of your layout, I look forward to seeing it (and you) again later this year!

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looking forward to getting ready for Great Electric Train Show at the Milton Keynes Arena. It’s been a while since last exhibition and hope I have removed all the cobwebs. Undertaken some light touching up on scenery and plenty of new stock to see on layout.

The first train to run will be carflats with new 1964 Minis being delivery from Cowley, for years I had a project box with donor chassis , plasticard ready to kit bash a rake thankfully NGS delivered on their promise.

New locos include a Castle converted to double chimney 4088 Dartmouth Castle, a loco driven by my Granfather in early 1960s as a Swindon man.

post-6860-0-66196600-1539292610_thumb.jpeg

A newly weathered sound fitted WD and a Railcar for the branch line ,appearing with modellers license as they all left Oxfordshire by mid 1950s.

post-6860-0-84236100-1539292845_thumb.jpeg

post-6860-0-14899400-1539292805_thumb.jpeg

Some other but no photos to hand, stop by and say hello to the Motley operating crew - Nick, Mike & Steve.

Edited by carlwooduk
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

A good first day at GETs. Opportunity to run new stock including test print County a super 3D print by Steve of ATSO-CAD.

It runs on a DCC fitted Black 5 chassis. This is a test model, detail to be added , a basic gloss paint finish for now to highlight detail. Steve aims to finish a Prototype of this model in November, I will be Steve’a first customer; it’s a stunning model- takes 3 D printed locos to a new benchmark.

post-6860-0-09192900-1539453735_thumb.jpeg

post-6860-0-44912500-1539453902_thumb.jpegpost-6860-0-64595400-1539453946_thumb.jpeg

• Like 14

Thank you Carl.

The County body is printed in Shapeways 'Finest Detail Plastic' in several parts to make cleaning up a little easier. The design makes use of the Farish slide bars which can be pulled out of the Black Five's cylinder block and glued into the replacement block. Out of the printed components, only the whistles and their guard remain to be added, everything else will be turned or etched items already available elsewhere. I've fitted the handrails as I find it easier to paint this at the same time as the bodies - although it makes lining a little more difficult.

The coal/tender weight is simply a piece of lead sheet, shaped to clear the DCC chip and covered in coal. It's a bit heavier than the original item in the Black Five and the County hauled ten coaches yesterday evening with ease.

Apologies for the gloss finish, I always paint in gloss paints where possible as it makes touching up paint and lining out much easier.

Seeing the pictures, I've noticed that I haven't fitted the brake handles in the tender yet. These will be simply a couple of handrail knobs and some wire bent up into the appropriate shape.

This prototype build has shown a couple of small areas that could have a modest redesign to make assembly easier which I'll do in the next couple of weeks - cosmetically, I'm very pleased with how this has turned out. :)

Looking forward to day two of the show!

Edited by Atso
  • Like 4

Hi Carl

Firstly a big thank you for inviting me to help crew Vale of Oxbury at the Great Electric Train Show yesterday. I have seen the layout many times, and for me it is one of the very best layouts in British N on the exhibition circuit so I was absolutely delighted! The great thing about the layout is that as well as being absolutely stunning to look at, it runs impeccably and is an absolute pleasure to operate. You and the crew were most welcoming and great fun to be around, all in all a really enjoyable day. I would have loved to join you for Day 2 as well, but my long suffering wife (bless her) already had other plans (which is fair enough).

On the subject of Steve's County, I know how hard he has worked on it, so seeing it take off around Vale of Oxbury at the end of the show with ten coaches in tow was, I think, a thoroughly deserved reward for those efforts. I can already visualise it lined and lettered, final detail added, nameplates, gloss paint flatted off with a satin or matt varnish. I think it will be indistinguishable from even the best of mainstream RTR.....really top work Steve..

Roy

Edited by Roy L S
  • Like 2

Hi Carl,

I hope that you, Nick and Mike got home safely yesterday.

Thank you for inviting me to be part of the operating team over the weekend. I had a fantastic time playing with helping to operate Vale of Oxbury and very much hope that I am lucky enough to be able to do so again in the future. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Been looking at the photos I took at GEC last week. I do struggle to get decent shots from my main Camera, oddly my IPhone 8 produces some decent ones.

First up Weathered Austerity on 16T coal train.

post-6860-0-66099200-1540037678_thumb.jpeg

You get to meet some interesting folk at Exhibitions, had the pleasure of meeting Drew, one of the Engineers working at Didcot on the Pendenis Castle restoration. He was delighted to see my version re-worked from the Farish Sound Castle.

post-6860-0-79050900-1540037947_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Been looking at the photos I took at GEC last week. I do struggle to get decent shots from my main Camera, oddly my IPhone 8 produces some decent ones.

First up Weathered Austerity on 16T coal train.

attachicon.gif92D5E035-6DF7-423E-9BE6-09C5DE454D55.jpeg

You get to meet some interesting folk at Exhibitions, had the pleasure of meeting Drew, one of the Engineers working at Didcot on the Pendenis Castle restoration. He was delighted to see my version re-worked from the Farish Sound Castle.

attachicon.gif4B6BB1A6-2582-4064-B7E0-0F9F2E6C1331.jpeg

Really nice photos there.

Was wondering if the layout was coming to any exhibitions in the Devon, Somerset, Dorset areas?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a good prompt to share the list of upcoming exhibitions. I aim for 4 to 5 a year max.

I am open to all invitations ; ( i prefer 2 day shows ) and interestingly, none from Wales, very little from South West - bar Minehead / Exmoor in Aug next year and Taunton back in 2017. As a van hire is needed in our expenses so  our costs  may be beyond the budget of smaller shows.

When I reflect on both past exhibitions and future invites we have been invited more in East of Country  than West, surprising for a BR W layout.

Spalding 3 / 4 Nov 18
Stafford MRE 2 / 3 Feb 19
Epsom 27 / 28 Apr 19
Kings Lynn  22 June 19
Exmoor Rail 3 Aug 19
Wigan 5/6 Oct 19
Leamington 5/6 Mar20 
Thornbury Bristol – 1/3 May 20 
GCR Model event 13/14 June 20 TBC
Lincoln Feb 21 TBC
Fareham RailEx  1/2 Oct 21. 
Edited by carlwooduk
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Getting ready for the trip to Far East ( Spalding ) this coming Friday. Operating crew, this time Nick, Mike and Neil with yours truly - do please stop by to say hello.

I have fitted a Tam Valley Dual Frog Juicer for the double slip to see if it cures the intermittent short that happens with the Panniers at slow speed operating the yard to branch run.

As always there will be plenty of proto-typical trains to enjoy from the 1960’s plus one that always goes down well with the kids ( big and small ).

post-6860-0-32777900-1541013745_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Layout has performed well at Spalding today and crowds were consistent all day.

Annoyed at myself for leaving stock boxes at home with all the Brake vans , but mike and Neil sorted from their stock suppliers thankfully .

Honoured to receive the Springfield Club - for best layout this year. It was announced on the tannoy but at time I was scoffing my lunch so had to be found to come for a photo call.

post-6860-0-55800800-1541267400_thumb.jpeg

post-6860-0-67397700-1541267456_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

First exhibition for 6 months  at Epsom coming up on 27th & 28th April.

Some new stock to show, including the Pullman with Sound in both power cars courtesy of John at Yoo Choos and fitting by Marks Trains. It’s great to hear.

The turntable has been upgraded with the all singing and dancing ADM digital indexed unit, what a stunning piece of engineering adjustable to 0.15 Degrees. No more hit & miss aligning tracks on exhibition!

Here is re-named Pendennis Castle being turned.

624D4A05-1904-4AB0-A592-679F6D2E75A8.jpeg.116e3aa8ea4b5e77b440a987f9413f76.jpeg0874863D-13F9-4C45-81E8-3F5FB4A21E50.jpeg.cf2a153fa2d96aa060e0e8f879d1a238.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

All set up for NESCOT at Epsom. Hope to meet a few RM Webbers, operating crew this weekend are Nick, Steve and myself with guests from the local club.  Looking forward to running the County, plenty of photos to come later of 1019 .

95D11D5F-4108-4218-8A94-502F4CE881DC.jpeg.5a0363c1df68faac3a7944d0b8d95709.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Saturday was very busy and great to catch up with so many people. The new County of Merioneth 1019 has performed superbly. Photos do not do justice to the quality of ATSO CADs 3 D printed body / tender capped off with a wonderful paint job. He will announce in due course how you can order the kit.

325EED6B-D952-488E-8DDB-83EE42A65BF4.jpeg.d3542a40b7d738846d5ac1f33f242d0b.jpeg

• Like 7