Vale of Oxbury BR Western Region N Gauge

carlwooduk

The use of Klear for the Ballast has been a huge success, No gloss at all. I did a short section using neat Klear, but I am happier when it was tinted with the Ink washes from Gamesworkshops. BTW the Ballast was initially whetted using a mix of Water / Isopropanol 80:20; sprayed using a very fine pump mister.

Would that be Devlan Mud by any chance? ;) Did you mix the wash with the Klear or apply it aftwards?

'The Vale has been designed with the old phrase " less is more" approach.'

I think that approach requires some self-discipline - and you've exemplified this very well.

I really enjoy the relaxed, open, uncluttered feel of your layout.

And I don't think it's to do with how much space you have to model in - more concept and visual awareness.

Top marks from me :)

Chaps,

The Backscene of Oxfordshire/ Cotswold Countrside was from an Ebay trader who persoanlly produced them in N & OO. They have not been listed for over 12 months, Sorry I never kept their details.

Carl

Hi Carl.

I thought I reconised that backscene as I have the same one here (just in case!) If you look closely at one of the sheets you can see the old Blewbury Station building on the Didcot Newbury & Southampton Railway! It was taken just down the road from where I live.

Missy :)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks again for the comments of encouragement.

Missy, thats an really worthwile nugget from you that you recognised the area of the "Backscence" as near Blewbury. Its spooky as, although the track layour is based on South Brent, the layout in my mind is in the Oxford, Swindon, Didcot triangle . Although I now live in Norfolk, I have lived in the Swindon, Oxon & Berks area for many years.

I have some southern stock that I like alongside my passion for all things Western and Southern loco's ran around the Didcot Area in particular. Its funny how things work out!!.

The backscene was an ideal lenght for my layout. Nice colour printing but, I wish the paper was of higher quality. I find that it stretches when glued and pressed onto the backscene so, I have ended up with more joins than I would prefer.

Carl

• RMweb Premium

My first time on this one; have to say it looks wonderful - best use of N in my opinion; loads of space; realistic train lengths; small layout footprint...great stuff; I'll be watching this with interest :)

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Over the last few months work has slowly progressed on the Vale. A few tweaks made to the design, Cattle dock removed from a siding in the yard and a new " End loading bay" siding added by the station accessed off the Diary sidings.

Getting good foundations are an important factor for my layout and the Landscaping seems to be taking an age.

post-6860-0-15032800-1311377646_thumb.jpg

The presentation of the layout has been thought carefully about. It is framed by the Lighting Pelmet and side supports. A fire retardant curtain to hide the legs is being made and the framing colour scheme will be WR Brown & Cream. It is also designed for ease of assembly as well good lighting using 3 18†low energy fluorescent tubes.

The backscene has been finished and sealed to preserve the printed paper. A few more joins than I would have liked as, the paper when wet with the glue expanded!

To recap the land form has been built from Insulation Foam, cut and sanded to shape. Step 2; then followed a covering of Flexible Ceiling Paint. Step 3; a covering of finely sieved Garden soil on to a base of diluted PVA with Brown Acrylic paint.

The track ( Peco 55 ) has been spray painted with Phoenix Sleeper Grime, then Ballasted with a mix of Woodland Scenic and Greenscene light buff. It was secured using Johnsons Kleer tinted with Brown and Black ink. The Ballast shoulder has been edged with Fine Limestone to represent the Cinder mix that was line side in the 1960’s, again tinted with Black ink.

A start has been made on the rail edges and to finish off, I must get round to weathering with an Airbrush.

Hedges have grown up along the roadside on the hill. These are from a new Cottage Industry supplier “Hedgerow Scenic’s “They were cut down to a depth that I wanted. These are highly recommended and worth the investment.

post-6860-0-05285600-1311377741_thumb.jpg

The next jobs on the scenery front will be the “ Greenery “ on the tunnel baseboard. There will be a Woodland Copse and 2 Fields either side of the road. One will be arable crops the other pasture with grazing cows. Railway land around theTunnel will be de-marked with Fencing, the Ratio product will be the easy solution but I am tempted to make my own posts and wire with fine fishing line. A few more pics attached. Carl

post-6860-0-51965400-1311377802_thumb.jpg

post-6860-0-96055400-1311377861_thumb.jpg

post-6860-0-11744400-1311377920_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Hello Carl.

As Mikey said it is comming along really well, the feeling of space is fantastic.

Oh, and an interesting fact, the building on the backscene in the last picture is whats left of the Upton and Blewbury station on the old Didcot, Newbury and Southampton railway!

Missy :D

This is looking absolutely delightful.

Colours from backscene through to foreground are perfectly harmonised.

I must say I studied that last picture for some while appreciating the fine surface texture you've achieved with finely sieved garden soil. It's very effective.

I've heard of people using Johnsons Kleer in ballasting - out of interest, what sort of proportion ink/Kleer do you use?

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The steady progress of the scenics continues and "Grass & a few tress" have grown over the summer months. The first base layer of Woodland senics scatters has gone down OK. I used their senic cement and was happy with the way it worked. More textures and colours will be added but like every project, a good foundation is key.

post-6860-0-76348100-1318113449_thumb.jpg

I have used courser / darker scatters on the Embankments and Railway land around the tunnel utilisising a product from Sist trees mixed with Woodlands.

post-6860-0-59179100-1318113792_thumb.jpg

Having built a model of the Engine shed to GWR prototype, I have made the decision that all railway buildings will have GWR provenance. The Goods shed is based on the standard pattern found at Tetbury. Scale plans were found in the Paul Karau book. Slater 2mm Brick plasticard was laminated on Styrene sheet. Brick arches were cut out from on old Hejan Engine shed kit. I will need to paint the interior before the roof goes on. The glazing has worked out well but I have just spotted I took the photo with Masking tape on!

post-6860-0-49930900-1318114183_thumb.jpg

The photo above also shows the new loading dock bay added in off the diary sidings. The first diary building was a useful learning project but I am sorely tempted to follow a different prototype and build the Dairy that was at Wallingford. Again I have scale plans. Missy has pointed out the photo backscene is just up from Wallingford in South Oxon so, it seems a logical path.

The pressure is on to make better progress as, I will be offering to Exhibit the Vale at the 2012 N gauge Show , The plan over the next month is to finish scenics on the Tunnel board to showcase the standard to the organisers. What with a couple of N Gauge DCC Sound Hydraulics I hope it will be shortlisted to entertain the crowds.

Carl

Carl

• Like 10

Lovely stuff, it really emphasises the benefit of doing the space framed board (is that the right terminology). The landscape really looks like a landscape, rather than something based around a flat piece of wood.

Keep taking your time and getting the landscape right as so far its more than paid dividends. The one huge benefit of N, other than the now ever improving stock quality, was always the 'trains in the landscape' appeal and you've used it to its full benefit here. I think the danger though is that sometimes its tempting to cram as many additional sidings and branches etc and you end up cramming the space. Definitely not the case here.

Hi Carl,

More excellent progress going on here. Oxbury town was one of my favourite layouts and I am ejoying watch it's successor take shape.

I am particularly impressed with your scratchbuilt GWR buildings. Any chance of producing a few on commision?

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Its funny how certain Modelling jobs seem to take an age and the building of the Standard GWR Goods Shed is one of those.

Photo below shows finished structure and glazing bars finished a one end. Its got a rough paint base coat ready for deatiled painting and adding of Gutters and Drain pipes.

post-6860-0-84292800-1321195026_thumb.jpg

Couple of pics of locos having a run round. Firstly a Cardiff allocated 37 with weathered and rusty 16T mineral wagons from Dirty Boy, I belive based in Cardiff!

post-6860-0-98155700-1321195191_thumb.jpg

Next a Warship ( Sound Fitted ) visible between the Station Hotel and the station building.

post-6860-0-50987900-1321195371_thumb.jpg

Finally a Snap of the Layout Name Board finally erected on the Lighting pelmet, Regrettably the Family Friend ( Ex BR Swindon Works Sign Writer ) who painted it for me has now passed away.

Carl

post-6860-0-46394600-1321195825_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A week off taking it easy after a Hernia Op has given me the opportunity to take a few pics of progress on the layout.

Its a good job the first exhibition deadline is September 2013 ( The N Gauge Show ) as, working on the layout as an individual enterprise means progress is somewhat slower than desired. I am amazed at the progress others on the forum achieve in the time available.

Over the last week I have been painting some buildings and doing a bit on base scenery. Most importantly I have been taking it easy and playing trains to relax. Thankfully no running faults to get worked up about.

post-6860-0-48334400-1338398213_thumb.jpg

The Warship and Presflo Cement train was weathered by CF loco's. A favourite train of mine as I have a pic of a similar cement train at Exeter being haulled by a green Warship.

post-6860-0-14767400-1338398469_thumb.jpg

The Standard pattern good shed still needs glazing, gutters and downpipes plus a little more weathering / tidying. It will sit across a baseboard join so will be removable.

post-6860-0-94480600-1338398635_thumb.jpg

Loco Shed ( Based on kingham ) also needs glazing, gutters etc.

post-6860-0-41580400-1338399261_thumb.jpg

Dairy is the Mark 2 building with now just a single siding ( the first was too big ). Its based on Wallingford Creamery, in the paint shop the weekend.

post-6860-0-84277500-1338399490_thumb.jpg

The Dapol Hall has been renamed to Blakesley Hall and weathered. Another favourite as I have a trasured photo of my Grandfather driving this loco in 1962!

post-6860-0-93733900-1338399691_thumb.jpg

Last up a view of the scenery on the left end board, the ripe wheat field at the back was done using a mix of 2mm fibres and Greenscene fine ground scatter. I have been searching for the right colour tones for a few years and am finally happy with the outcome.

Regards

Carl.

• Like 13

Guest Moria

Awesome Carl, really impressed.

Hope the updates continue as I think this is a superb example of modelling.

Regards

Graham