Uneven floors

Hi all:

I have just read in a blog that a member had problems with the uneven floor of his room and the use of trestles. I have my layout suspended from the garage ceiling and lower it on to trestles. The garage floor is very uneven, to the extent that if water gets in, it flows all around the central drain without reaching it. My solution was to insert threaded bushes into the legs of the trestles and then insert small bolts into the bushes. It is then possible to level the tops of the trestles.

I hope this information may be of use to other members.

There was a model engine,

On the front of a train,

Which ran into a station

And couldn't back out again.

This because the hall floor was so far off level that inbuilt adjustment on the layout supports could not fully compensate. We ended up cutting up a couple of scrounged scaffold boards to make packing pieces to crudely level up sufficiently to get within range of the fine adjustment available.

This is a good general point particularly if intending to build gradients on a layout: don't rely on floors to provide a true level datum.

At a certain exhibition (no names, no pack drill) the floor was so "uneven", I will not say why, that we had to use approx 5 to 6 inches of packing to get somewhere near level. You can use the superior "beer mat", that would be small squares of plywood . I too am a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. system!

Archived