Computer control for DCC layout recommendation

JSpencer

I have given up on Hornby,s elink and railmaster system!

Here are my base requirements:

Capable of reading more (in fact all) CVs and not just 255

Option to run layout either from laptop or - when I go to shows - ideally just an iPad

Capable of linking in the smartphone via Bluetooth

The apps can be loaded and ran on tablets of phones without needing to link to a webserver

Power supply suitable for running 4 locos at once

Plus would be to upload sounds.

• RMweb Gold

I have been using the ESU ECoS for a number of years, it is not the cheapest option but it is a lot of kit for the money and works out cheaper in the long run as when you bring other systems up to the same spec they cost more.

With regards to your needs:-

It reads all CV's

With the new version 4 software you can connect to a PC, MAC, iPhone, Android via VNC and you get the complete ECoS display on the device to control the layout.

The best smartphone App is TouchCab only on iOS devices, it connects via Wifi and I use a small nano router which I attach to the ECoS for the wireless connection, This works really well in an exhibition environment, my layout is 40' long. I don't think there are any controllers using Bluetooth.

And there is no webserver needed.

The power supply is 4 Amps so is more than enough power for 4 locos at once.

If you can get to our MRX Exhibition at the Museum of Transport Manchester (see link below) on the 17/.18th May you will be see a number of devices in action and there will be a demo layout allowing you to see the various controllers in action.

Hi there, just a quick addition to the posts above, I've been using both the ECoS (for about three years) and Z21 a more recent purchase), both on exhibition layouts with a large number of locos, and I would add that the Z21 control interface is more intuitive and stable than touch cab, Touch cab occassionally drops contact and requres reopening, Z21 seems a slightly more resolved IOS app. Screenshot of Z21 app in use n my layout here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/widnes_road/13785872903/

The Z21 is also considerably cheaper and comes with the router included, ready to plug and play. The advantage of the ECoS is the more traditional interface is easier for some to get along with. With very large layouts, and runnng many sound fitted locos I found the ECoS occasionally needed resetting during a full weekend exhibition. What's in the Z21 box is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/widnes_road/13786029433/

Just my personal experience, others may have experienced differently.

• RMweb Gold

I have the Z21 and to be honest i haven't tried it in anger to comment, I must try it on my layout and give it a good test.

The advantage of the ECoS as you say is that you have two traditional interface with two dials on the controller for those who prefer. I have had the occasional drop out but it will be interesting to see if the new version 4 cures this.

A nano router is just a small router one of the best is one from TpLink (see link below) available from Maplins and PC World.

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=241&model=TL-WR702N

Any router will do but this nano router will fir neatly underneath the ECoS.

If anyone else is interested in buying one, the nano router Peter refers to comes with a mains power supply. The lead is a bit on the short side at around 1m but I'm sure I can get a longer one from Maplins.

Archived