Warley at the NEC 2014, 22nd and 23rd November

Robert Shrives

funny that I was looking around the forum for a review on the layouts. I have done that many shows in the last few years, that there was not a lot there that I hadn't seen before, one that caught my eye was the N gauge “Kirkham Abbey” Peco track, RTR stock, just very well done. And looking like I am biased to 2mm “St Ruth” the DG couplers working well, other than that Aloa held up the 4mm end . There looks like there will be something to look forward too in 7mm, in the shape of “Lancaster Arye green”, a bit disappointed in “Dainton bank” the the DC control worked, did not see anything move with the new DCC system. There was just one thing missing this year, one of those continental dioramas.  

I think the 'diorama' slot was occupied by the Luton MRC guys with the Great Train Robbery Diorama...

I saw it a few timeswhilst passing round and they were certainly very busy each time I saw it.

It is sensitively done and presented plus quite a good use of 'theatre' type presentation.

Raising the modelling bar as well - the scenery is exceptional...

Also they told me that they have raised a good amonut for the RBF (Railay Benefit Fund) Charity.

We had a great time with Kirkham Abbey- although my fiddle yard REALLY needs sorting out. So many favourable comments, some saying that they thought it was 2mm finescale, some 3mm (!) and no negative comments about the eye-level presentation. I had two different heights of steps and a periscope for those in chairs etc.. Several wanted me to "lift the skirts (!)" so they could see the level crossing gate mechanism. Thanks to Paul Jones and the Warley MRC. I will be back next year in my usual slot helping Maggie Gravett with the "junior modeller" stand.post-16636-0-83926100-1417096874_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

If anyone took any photos of Lancaster Green Ayre I would be very grateful for copies, particularly of the cattle Dock area.  My camera has decided to play funny beggars and even though I initially viewed the photos on it, it now appears to have wiped the memory card and I seem to have lost them.  I particularly want4d to get the pictures of the cattle dock to Tony who built it.  He is housebound and confined to a wheelchair and would very much like a photo of the dock in situ as he workes to complete it.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

If anyone took any photos of Lancaster Green Ayre I would be very grateful for copies, particularly of the cattle Dock area.  My camera has decided to play funny beggars and even though I initially viewed the photos on it, it now appears to have wiped the memory card and I seem to have lost them.  I particularly want4d to get the pictures of the cattle dock to Tony who built it.  He is housebound and confined to a wheelchair and would very much like a photo of the dock in situ as he workes to complete it.

Jamie

Jamie

There is a programme called a Bad a Copy that I have used in the past to recover photos off corrupted memory cards for use on the PC.

http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/

Just don't do anything with the card such as format it or write more files to it till you have tried it

We had a great time with Kirkham Abbey- although my fiddle yard REALLY needs sorting out. So many favourable comments, some saying that they thought it was 2mm finescale, some 3mm (!) and no negative comments about the eye-level presentation. I had two different heights of steps and a periscope for those in chairs etc.. Several wanted me to "lift the skirts (!)" so they could see the level crossing gate mechanism. Thanks to Paul Jones and the Warley MRC. I will be back next year in my usual slot helping Maggie Gravett with the "junior modeller" stand.attachicon.gifwarley 2014.jpg

fine piece of imaginative modeling and is what N gauge should be about 

• RMweb Premium

Jamie

There is a programme called a Bad a Copy that I have used in the past to recover photos off corrupted memory cards for use on the PC.

http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/

Just don't do anything with the card such as format it or write more files to it till you have tried it

Thanks very much for that Ian.  It's reading files like a dream on the evaluation copy at the moment so hopefully I may be able to get the photos.  I really ought to clean my camera cards out more often there are several hundred on this one.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for that Ian.  It's reading files like a dream on the evaluation copy at the moment so hopefully I may be able to get the photos.  I really ought to clean my camera cards out more often there are several hundred on this one.

Jamie

That's OK Jsmie. glad to be of help.

I came across it whilst sitting in the railfan park at Rochelle when a card became corrupted. Installed that programme and recovered all my photos whilst waiting for the next train to roll by!!

• RMweb Premium

That's OK Jsmie. glad to be of help.

I came across it whilst sitting in the railfan park at Rochelle when a card became corrupted. Installed that programme and recovered all my photos whilst waiting for the next train to toll by!!

Thanks again Ian, Yes I've been to Rochelle.  I've got some nice video of a guy welding crossing noses between trains.  IUf I get chance I'll bring my laptop in over the weekend.

Jamie

First of all well done the Warley team for another excellent show.  As usual we have the normal complaints about transport, parking, price of food & the way layouts are operated.  My favourite layout was Halston Junction.  A large layout, four track mainline & station operated as most visitors want to see it – at least two trains (some with smoke) in view on the scenic section, shunting & excellent scenery.  A couple of comments have said they do not like a continuous procession of trains but would be quite happy to wait a realistic time between trains as per the real thing.  Perhaps they should realise that 75% of visitors are average modellers or families out for the day & expect to see lots of action & variety of stock on every layout as value for money for their entrance fee.  I was disappointed with some of the large layouts where only one train was in motion when there was a massive multi-track fiddle yard packed out with complete trains.  Visitors realise that in the real world there are/were long gaps (sometimes hours) between trains on the real railway but they have paid their entrance fee & want to be entertained.

A couple of complaints were about operator errors.  The old saying, ‘A man who never made a mistake has not made anything.’ springs to mind!  It is true as one comment said that operators for large club or individual layouts are normally hard to come by & are not 100% familiar with the layout due to only a limited time practicing on the actual layout.  These complaints about operator errors are probably from people who have only a small simple end to end layout at home, have only operated at small local exhibitions & never at somewhere like the NEC where the crowds are two or three deep & all eyes are on the operator to perform flawlessly!   

Another complaint at exhibitions in general is ‘lack of movement’; that’s what visitors pay their hard earned cash to see!  Last month I was exhibiting my DCC 00 gauge layout Crewlisle at Hornby Magazine’s Great Electric Train Show & I lost count of the number of visitors who said that it was nice to see something moving.  Crewlisle is on three interconnected levels representing the WCML from 1955 to 1985.  The high level comprises a terminus for 6 coach expresses, steam/diesel sheds & goods yard; mid section the WCML with OLE; low level is the reversing loop with a cartridge exchange system in lieu of a fiddle yard as part of it.  We always run a minimum of two & sometimes as many as four trains simultaneously.  Although it is only 2.6M x 2.3M, to run an intensive service like that takes a lot of concentration & as I have said before, my operators have also only had limited practice time.  Why, even I make operating errors & I designed & built it! 

Crewlisle will be at the NEC in 2015. 

A couple of complaints were about operator errors.  The old saying, ‘A man who never made a mistake has not made anything.’ springs to mind! 

"Nobody who never did nothing never made no mistakes" - F.W.Spencer.

As to movement, though - in full agreement. At a show the size of Warley, a one-day visit works out at about 5 minutes per layout, and that doesn't include trade stands, loo breaks, stopping for lunch etc. So if a train doesn't appear after three minutes or so, it's time to move on. Not so bad if there's a train actually out the front to look at, but if there's no real sign of activity, I go on to the next one and maybe look back later if time allows. 

"Nobody who never did nothing never made no mistakes" - F.W.Spencer.

As to movement, though - in full agreement. At a show the size of Warley, a one-day visit works out at about 5 minutes per layout, and that doesn't include trade stands, loo breaks, stopping for lunch etc. So if a train doesn't appear after three minutes or so, it's time to move on. Not so bad if there's a train actually out the front to look at, but if there's no real sign of activity, I go on to the next one and maybe look back later if time allows. 

Kinlochewe is operated using a card system which takes around 1hr 45mins to complete. There is only one occassion when there is nothing within the station precinct at this point I always look up - and at Warley they were still queuing up at the barrier. The fact that I frequently keep informing  people that it is run to a timetable and that a train will be along soon - might have something to do with it. The trains aren't exactly ' queuing up ' on the West Highland and I think the viewer appreciates that !

Bill.

Perhaps the tickets should be printed with a disclaimer

"The holder of this ticket is only guaranteed obnoxious odours, being hit with a rucksack, or run over with a mobility scooter. 100% reliable operation of layouts at all times should not be expected..."

• RMweb Gold

At a show last year, we had one character in his 40's start complaining that another train hadn't appeared a couple of seconds after one went off scene!!

Thats normally the reserve of the very young. At least he didnt start asking for there to be a crash which we have had before.

One day I will get round to that model of Clifford Sidings on the old S&MJR where in the early sixties, trains were run  by permissible block so you would get 2 or 3 freight trains queuing for the single line going east-bound. And west-bound iron-ore trains were held in the sidings whilst waiting for a path along the busy route to South Wales.  Then god-help any trying to complain about not seeing any trains at a show it attended. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

I have someone who would like to contact the the guys who hold the Gauge O clinic - does anyone have some contact details?

Thanks

Phil

Andy Duncan of Duncan Models was one of the team I think he has a email address

Kinlochewe is operated using a card system which takes around 1hr 45mins to complete. There is only one occassion when there is nothing within the station precinct at this point I always look up - and at Warley they were still queuing up at the barrier. The fact that I frequently keep informing  people that it is run to a timetable and that a train will be along soon - might have something to do with it. The trains aren't exactly ' queuing up ' on the West Highland and I think the viewer appreciates that !

Bill.

You don't do the thing, then, of one train departing along the single line and then another appears in the opposite direction as soon as the first one goes out of sight. ;)

• RMweb Premium

You don't do the thing, then, of one train departing along the single line and then another appears in the opposite direction as soon as the first one goes out of sight. ;)

But there might be a passing loop just out of sight! :jester:

Keith

Warley 2104 Thank you card web.jpg

ANOTHER GREAT WARLEY SHOW AT THE NEC

We are very pleased to report another great Warley National Model Railway Exhibition at the NEC recently.  Whilst attendance fell compared with last year (the highest attendance in recent years), it remains at a very healthy level!  We thank all our visitors and our exhibitors for their support of the event.

Many complimentary comments were received at the show, and subsequently, as to the quality and variety of the exhibits. There was certainly something for everyone at the show, and many have commented that this year’s event was one of the best yet. The prototype locos proved very popular, with Tallyllyn Number 1 even producing some theatrical smoke from its chimney!!

One of the features of our Exhibition is a number of annual trophies that are awarded during the course of the Exhibition.  The winners this year are as follow:

1.    The Bachmann Cup for the best layout in 4mm scale was won by Alloa by the Scottish Region Study Group. This layout also won the Signalling Record Society Award for the best signalled layout at the Show.

2.    The Continental Modeller Trophy for the best layout of an overseas prototype was won by Gare De Chalon sur Saone, exhibited by Jean Marc Monin and Friends.

3.    The Calvert Cup for the best 2mm/N Gauge layout was won by Ian Lampkin with his layout Banbury.

4.    The Virgin 7mm Trophy for the best 7mm layout was awarded to The End of The Line by Giles Favell.

5.    The Hornby Hobbies Modern Image Award for the best modern image layout in any scale was won by St. Ruth built by the 2mm Finescale Association, Midlands Area Group.

6.    The ALSRM/Michael Heaven Memorial Award for an exhibit in a scale larger than 7mm was won by St. Ives from the friends of the late Michael Heaven.

7.    The Glascott Narrow Gauge Trophy, for an exhibit modelled in a narrow gauge was won by The Clydach Railway from Richard Holder. 

8.    The LMS Society Trophy for the exhibit best portraying the LMS or its predecessors was won by Adrian Ford, for his model in 7mm scale of LMS Mainline Diesel No. 10000.

9.    The Gwyn Humphries Award, for innovation within the model railway hobby was awarded to MERG for the introduction of their Pocket Money Kits.

10.  The Mayor of Sandwell’s Trophy, awarded to the exhibit most enjoyed by the mayor during her visit to the exhibition was won by Fire Creek, by Bob Wright.

11.   The Michael Heaven Memorial Award, awarded to someone who has or is involved in the development of the hobby amongst younger modellers was awarded to Maggie Gravett.

12.  The LMS Society Award was made to Warley member Andy Beaton, for his 7mm pair of LMSR Royal Scott class locos, number 6126 in early condition with number 6143 in later LMS condition.

Without doubt this year’s UK’s Premier Model Railway Show, run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts, was a great success.  It again proved that the model railway hobby is very much alive and well in the 21st century!

Following the success of this year’s event, we will shortly be planning for our 2015 event, the 23rd Warley National Model Railway Exhibition, which will be held on 28th and 29th November 2015, the revised date as previously advised 

Yours sincerely,

P O H Jones                                                      

Exhibition Manager                                          

David Moorhouse

Media Manager

Archived