Warley at the NEC 2014, 22nd and 23rd November

Robert Shrives

Beware...!

There have been issues in the past where anyone parking at the station had had to produce a valid rail ticket, in order to deter those only visiting the NEC.

Last time I parked  in Birmingham International (a month ago)there was a poster encouraging you to park there for NEC shows. I will be parking there - cheaper and closer to the show hall than the NEC carparks.

Hello All

I have been following the Hinksey Yard thread on RM web and it is one of the layouts I wanted to see at the NEC.

Turns out that we are next to the layout with Tanners Hill (which is to be featured in Railway Modeller due out next week) on stand C53

so I can view Hinsksey yard all weekend.

thanks Steve

• RMweb Gold

Hello All

I have been following the Hinksey Yard thread on RM web and it is one of the layouts I wanted to see at the NEC.

Turns out that we are next to the layout with Tanners Hill (which is to be featured in Railway Modeller due out next week) on stand C53

so I can view Hinsksey yard all weekend.

thanks Steve

You will have to put up with us on a Banbury aswell!!!

I can only make it on the Sunday. Whilst I enjoy the whole experience, I do quite like a bargain or to. Do most of the bargains tend to have shifted by the end of Saturday?

Depends what you mean by bargains!

Chris

• RMweb Premium

So this time next week a band of hardy souls will be either in the nec or en route to the club to load lorries

Me, I shall be 'doing' tablestables...and there are a lot of tables .before making sure the demo area and DCC theatre are set up

Call I and say hello to the demonstrators please. The area has been set out using your guidance.

Baz.

Stand A65

Last time I parked  in Birmingham International (a month ago)there was a poster encouraging you to park there for NEC shows. I will be parking there - cheaper and closer to the show hall than the NEC carparks.

I think most of the stories about needing a valid rail ticket in order to park date from before the new multi-storey car park was built, and hence the capacity was a lot lower. Rail travellers, quite rightly, have priority when the car park is close to being full, and that's when the need to have a ticket kicks in. It's unlikely to be an issue on a fairly quiet weekend when there isn't a lot on at the NEC.

Warley coincides with four other NEC events: a Festive Gift Fair, Comic Con, the Supreme Cat Show and Motorcycle Live. That's nowhere near capacity, so usage of the railway station car park is equally unlikely to be significantly affected by them. Which means there won't be any need to impose the "rail travellers only" rule.

Then again, I could be wrong and we'll all end up getting caught by it!

The ticket issue dates back to when you had to purchase a token to operate the barriers to exit the car park purchased from the ticket office, The system now is a ticket issued at the car-park entrance and validated at a pay point before leaving the station.

The ticket issue dates back to when you had to purchase a token to operate the barriers to exit the car park purchased from the ticket office, The system now is a ticket issued at the car-park entrance and validated at a pay point before leaving the station.

I know from first hand experience. I took a ticket from the gate. However when I returned to my car the pay machines were all out of order so to pay I had to go to the ticket desk who asked me for a rail ticket, which I didn't have which they replied well that's £25 to release your car! Do it at your own risk, if the machines fail you'll pay the price! And yes I was parked in the multi storey.

I know from first hand experience. I took a ticket from the gate. However when I returned to my car the pay machines were all out of order so to pay I had to go to the ticket desk who asked me for a rail ticket, which I didn't have which they replied well that's £25 to release your car! Do it at your own risk, if the machines fail you'll pay the price! And yes I was parked in the multi storey.

If you feel this is an issue then simply buy a return to Marston Green.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I don't know whether I've missed it or not, but will there be an RMweb meet up as with previous years?

Simon

Does this work for you?

Wetherspoons (upstairs from the entrance to NEC Hall 5)  -  1300 hrs  (1 pm).

To be honest, when I made my suggestion (post #20 in this thread), I was surprised that nobody had beaten me to it.

However, this time / place seems to have worked reasonably well in the past - I just hope I'm able to make it on Saturday (even though I suspect that some people might be quietly hoping otherwise).

Regards,

Huw.

Or simply drive to Hampton In Arden and park. The parking is FREE and it is only £2.50 any time return or £2.10 off peak return.

Does this work for you?

To be honest, when I made my suggestion (post #20 in this thread), I was surprised that nobody had beaten me to it.

However, this time / place seems to have worked reasonably well in the past - I just hope I'm able to make it on Saturday (even though I suspect that some people might be quietly hoping otherwise).

Regards,

Huw.

It would work for me on Sunday!

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Many of you will know Alex Carpenter..'Lochnagar' on this forum.He 'll be on Stand B54 (Rail Express Demo).,his usual perch.This year,there's a subtle difference.He's exhibiting his Meadow Lane TMD layout at Warley for the first time. It's a small but atmospheric scene which relies upon subtle lighting and sound.Please go along and look,listen and give him your support and encouragement. He represents the new generation of modellers.

Does this work for you?

Regards,

Huw.

Yep, thanks Huw, sorry if I missed it!

Simon

Or simply drive to Hampton In Arden and park. The parking is FREE and it is only £2.50 any time return or £2.10 off peak return.

Its a weekend so the off peak return will do.

A little warning - the travelators were in pieces yesterday so probably won't be working for the weekend. Might limit the amount of goodies you can lug back to the station.

Phil

Oh no it wont!

• RMweb Premium

Which manufactures will be announcing products at this years event, Heljan usually do but is there anyone else?

Cheers

Mark

Where's the NEC/Warley wishlist thread when you need one.....? :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

Archived