Warley at the NEC 2014, 22nd and 23rd November

Robert Shrives

• RMweb Gold

Well it'll cost me £30 with friends tagging along for a lift and sharing the cost so I count it as a decent day out with mates ;) worth it for the social side too as there's a few mates with layouts to go and barrack plus some I want to see from here. Must check the tyres as it's a long trip ;)

• RMweb Premium

Back at hotel after a long and eventful day at the NEC. Tables sorted, most of demos in place..

News update:

Due to a serious family illness Simon Thompson will not be demoing 3D printing.

This means that Mick (Newbryford) has moved location and Mini Grantham has grown a bit.

Simon will be at the NEC next year.

Baz

Well it only took me about 5 minutes to pack up, loads of £20 notes in a plastic bag and a camera, job done!

Got the shopping list for my son who isnt going, Central trains 153, 156 and LM 350, doesnt want much for an 8 year old does he, bearing in mind he has only been through Birmingham twice and only saw them in passing!

Bringing the other son with me, that could be a bit more expensive, especially at the Bachmann stand, I want a blue nosed  Blue Pullman if they have one plus some other bits!

looking forward to getting the train at 0525!

• RMweb Premium

Here one for everyone every year I get a 2 bay tickets and get thier for half 8 in the morning to get what I want but I am think is it better to get thier around 11 and stay to they kick me out. What I want is not in short supply, what do people think.

Richard

Sunday is definitely layout viewing day for me.

The crowds are much less than Saturday

Saturday I buy the things I want (if I can find them!) and make a mental note of layouts worthy of a longer view on Sunday

Sunday I spend leisurely time at the layouts, followed up by a quick trawl later on Sunday for any bargains.

Keith

EDIT fortunately I can get there by public transport unlike some of you poor s*ds who have to travel miles!

From last years thread-:

6. The new 'Oak Kitchen' catering outlet was a shambles - if they had served breakfast (did they) it finished at 11.00 in a venue where people had been travelling from early in the morning so why not an 'all day breakfast'? And even at 11.20 there were no signs that hot food was likely to be available much before 12.00 while the filled rolls on display were being touched, and rejected, by all & sundry. Hardly a 'premier exhibition site' establishment in my view.

7. By contrast however the food area in the far corner of the hall wasn't bad and the cleaner was doing a good job.

Can't attend this year due to family commitments,

Let me know how the NEC (Watford Gap Services) Catering is. :no:

• RMweb Gold

Thouoighly enjoyed myself today, wasnt overly crowded in my opinion, nice to meet up with stationmaster, roundhouse, newbryford, dave searle, 250bob, briefly waved at redgate models too as well as seeing mr tilt, jason (rapido)

So very sorely tempted to order the apt but resisted!

Layout wise first time ive seen banbury and hinksey in the flesh, although i did see the real thing last night!!

Spend wise, hmmmm, where do i hide this lot......

537F8E88-8389-4722-9EAE-D7BF8BB6415C.jpg

Probably in the same place as the 2 Bachmann low relief office blocks i got from ian allan yesterday and the observation saloon i got at the crewe show last week!!

Bachmann's quality control must be improving, the bargain/return sales was virtually empty by 11:30 and not much (if any) restocking going on

I was tempted on their stand by the new, what id call, llandudno jn/colwyn bay type flat roof signal box in the scenecraft range, but again managed to resist

• RMweb Gold

Thouoighly enjoyed myself today, wasnt overly crowded in my opinion, nice to meet up with stationmaster, roundhouse, newbryford, dave searle, 250bob, briefly waved at redgate models too as well as seeing mr tilt, jason (rapido)

Layout wise first time ive seen banbury and hinksey in the flesh, although i did see the real thing last night!!

Spend wise, hmmmm, where do i hide this lot......537F8E88-8389-4722-9EAE-D7BF8BB6415C.jpg

Probably in the same place as the 2 Bachmann low relief office blocks i got from ian allan yesterday and the observation saloon i got at the crewe show last week!!

Bachmann's quality control must be improving, the bargain/return sales was virtually empty by 11:30 and not much (if any) restocking going on

I was tempted on their stand by the new, what id call, llandudno jn/colwyn bay type flat roof signal box in the scenecraft range, but again managed to resist

You certainly filled that bag up after we chatted!!!

• RMweb Premium

Spend wise, hmmmm, where do i hide this lot......

537F8E88-8389-4722-9EAE-D7BF8BB6415C.jpg

Pay must be good at Colas! :jester:

Keith

Today Hornby have shown samplers of their next plans and I have to ask, are going mad?

Not content with duplicate Halls and Kings we now have announcements of duplicate Adams Radial Tanks from Hornby and Oxford Rail.

I like to think that I am of a generous nature but when Oxford rail, new to the market announce that their first model is the Adams Radial and Hornby announce it also within a week it makes me wonder whether horny are trying to muzzle Oxford Rail before they get off the ground. Where is the sense in two manufacturers producing a loco of which, within living memory, there were only three in the class?

• RMweb Premium

Is there some sort of deal going on whereas manufacturers cannot talk to one another and find out what others are planning?

I think you will find that is against the law under competition rules.

Keith

Today Hornby have shown samplers of their next plans and I have to ask, are going mad?

Not content with duplicate Halls and Kings we now have announcements of duplicate Adams Radial Tanks from Hornby and Oxford Rail.

I like to think that I am of a generous nature but when Oxford rail, new to the market announce that their first model is the Adams Radial and Hornby announce it also within a week it makes me wonder whether horny are trying to muzzle Oxford Rail before they get off the ground. Where is the sense in two manufacturers producing a loco of which, within living memory, there were only three in the class?

The only way we are going to find out is when both models hit the market,then we can make a judgement all.

To me this is getting a little bit silly, with two different company's doing one.

Is there some sort of deal going on whereas manufacturers cannot talk to one another and find out what others are planning?

I'm surprised by the 71 and Adams Radial as you'd obviously need the owners permission to have access to scan it (preferably with the brakes off), and there is the marketing arrangements to be exploited with a limited edition model for the owners. So somewhere along the line various parties aren't playing fair or are withholding information. There is obviously some kind of old boys network or leaks from the manufacturing rescources as one agent has previously leaked news of potential models on here....

Archived