Deltic Class 55 Photos

Found some more - York 1978

WARNING, Instamatic quality pictures!

(...and on a rubbish day, 'weather-wise' to really reduce the picture quality)

Ballymoss

ballymoss-york1.thumb.jpg.44460ecdefa3750dc139eaf641b42527.jpg

and it's nameplate

ballymoss-york2.thumb.jpg.8d1c0a1e6334150f669cc3fb66860b68.jpg

Nameplate - Fife and Forfar Yeomanry

584733804_fify-york.thumb.jpg.3bdc97df154c96eca119fe3df1513410.jpg

Pinza

pinza-york1.thumb.jpg.864b06bd609c06b4f5262e03da344217.jpg

pinza-york2.thumb.jpg.18f4b2c31ef0f9af856714371fb935dc.jpgpinza-york3.thumb.jpg.7ccf4daaffd04e553e9518d229b9725e.jpg

...and number 7 again (it seemed to follow me around!), York on a better day - in 1979 I think

Cheers!

Edited by billy_anorak59
  • Like 12

Many were painted blue before ETH was fitted, see below:

Not only do you have blue with no ETH, but it is picking up water for the boiler from the water troughs, which must make this a very rare shot! Looks like it might be D9019 if I am not mistaken.

Never seen a shot of a Deltic picking up from troughs, wonder if the crew did it to annoy the PW gang!

Im just finishing a model og 9020 in late 60s blue with no ETH. Its surprising how many were blue before ETH

Cheers

James

Shirley "Unknown with a northbound non stop" is D9000, Royal Scots Grey"?

The crest above the single line nameplate and the plate around the footstep on the lower nose where the early headlight was give it away to me.

Loving the photos in this and all the threads!

D9004 "Queens Own Highlander" had a similar crest, mounted above a single line nameplate.

Never seen a shot of a Deltic picking up from troughs, wonder if the crew did it to annoy the PW gang!

Im just finishing a model og 9020 in late 60s blue with no ETH. Its surprising how many were blue before ETH

Cheers

James

Possibly to annoy them, but I suspect that they may be steam enthusiasts waiting for one of the last steam workings on the ECML - the picture was probably taken in about 1967 - possibly Flying Scotsman? Some things don't change...

• RMweb Gold

As I understand it, the second man/fireman had to prepare, and be in position, well in advance of the troughs.

It simply wasn't possible to spot trackside workers/legitimate photographers/trespassers, decide to put on a show/soak them, and then do it!

Kev.

Thanks guys, they do look like steam enthusiasts, im sure the one on the left has a cover over a camera so is expecting a soaking.

Did Deltics regularly use the scoops? I know they had them from new but thought they were rarely used/dispensed with fairly quickly? I suppose the troughs went pretty quickly after steam dissapeared and ETH took over

Shirley "Unknown with a northbound non stop" is D9000, Royal Scots Grey"?

The crest above the single line nameplate and the plate around the footstep on the lower nose where the early headlight was give it away to me.

Loving the photos in this and all the threads!

Agreed, on both statements. RSG perhaps the easiest to identify if you can see the front nose step.

C6T.

Still unnamed, BR/English Electric Class 55 Deltic No. D9019 at the platform of Newcastle Central Station, on a down express 1A22 on Sunday 18th April 1965. It was named 'Royal Highland Fusilier' five months later on 9th September 1965. It was later renumbered to 55019 under the TOPS scheme.

attachicon.gifGH003_04_D9019_1200.jpg

I find this period fascinating (not just on the Eastern / North Eastern Regions), steam has all but gone and corporate blue won't start to take hold for about eighteen months at least, green diesels are everywhere, trailing mostly maroon stock made up of pre-nationalisation and Mk1 designs, the station architecture still betrays its early origins but has BR enamel signage.... lovely stuff!

Some great pics. I have a single shot of a Deltic in service!

55 017 'The Durham Light Infantry' at (I think) Peterborough?

image.jpg

Peterborough for sure James, no mistaking that. Liking shot also for the dude on the other platform (1?) taking a phot at the same moment in time.

C6T.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Cuaght this special last night heading to Grantham, passing Tallington Crossing Lincs.

I didn't! Turned out to see the southbound run, but once on the ECML it started demolishing the schedule, and hove into earshot just as I got out of my car.

Still, not looking through a viewfinder for once was a better recreation of earlier everydays. Pretty much the same number turned out as had for 60103 last time.

Tornado later in the day got a massive delay at Newark, but turned a deficit of 70 mins at Sandy into 44 minutes at The Cross.

The Nim.

• Like 1

'Nimbus' on the Scotsman leaving Edinburgh May 1975…a favourite slide of mine and one I use in my profile.

I took this shot myself and we were travelling on the 10.15 Peak hauled train to West of England heading for York as the 10.00am only stopped at Newcastle.

'Nimbus' was the only member I believe to retain the cab quarterlights to the end.

post-2371-0-48309200-1494373716_thumb.jpg

Dave.

• Like 9

Took surprisingly few photos of the Deltics over the years. This is probably my favourite, taken in September 1972 on a Canon Dial half frame camera on Agfa CT18 stock.

9008 The Green Howards at Newcastle.

post-4406-0-26387300-1494387536_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Cuaght this special last night heading to Grantham, passing Tallington Crossing Lincs.

Nice to see the photo, especially as I was on the train so didn't get any decent photos. 9009 was on form and reached 100mph several times.

• Like 1

A couple of questions, if I may.

We have seen lots of excellent shots from Dave F of ECML expresses from Leeds, Newcastle and other places in the hands of class 47s. What was a Deltic 'worth' in the schedules over a 47? How late would a 47 be to Leeds, for example, if put on a Deltic diagram?

What effect did fitting ETH have on the power at rail for a Deltic? Was this noticeable in the performance?

ROB

'Nimbus' was the only member I believe to retain the cab quarterlights to the end.

That was because 'the end', as far as active use goes, was tragically early for this loco - in earlier days it had been a depot favourite at 34G.

The Nim.