Deltic Class 55 Photos

Sorry about the quality of the pics' but back in the late '70's all i had camera wise was an old hand me down Kodak 126 which was soon followed by another cheap but better quality (the AK47 of the camera World) 'Zenit TTL' :sarcastichand:  I remember sending the films off to 'Trueprint' and getting a free film back. All these pics' were taken at York, i have more but for now i've taken pics of pics', one day i must get all my old negs' put onto a comp' Thanks for Bingley Hall posting the pic of the dented nose of '022 i knew i had taken one around the same time and place. ;)

post-31611-0-21903800-1503399490_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-02866500-1503399517_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-76643200-1503399549_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-44392900-1503399582_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-73666200-1503399614_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-39392900-1503399645_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-44374800-1503399684_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-43606500-1503399709_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

post-601-0-58754200-1509549833_thumb.jpg

Crossing Byker Viaduct, 55014 “The Duke of Wellingtons Regiment” heads north out of Newcastle with 1S12, the 05:50 Kings Cross to Aberdeen, which the mighty Deltic will work as far as Edinburgh.

Sadly, the external condition of the loco leaves a bit to be desired, which was fairly typical of the fleets final days in service. One for the model railway weathering experts perhaps?

3rd April 1981.

• Like 6

My earliest 'Deltic' photo dates back to 'Brownie 127' camera days:

attachicon.gif(993cS) D9000 Newcastle Central station 1964 (T Ermel) .jpg

D9000 at Newcastle in 1964

Trevor

I've just noticed that D9000 had a couple of footsteps in the top L & R corners of the buffer beam cutaway. I don't remember seeing them on any other Deltic. Was D9000 the only Deltic to have them?

This photo from John Turner also shows it with them.

https://flic.kr/p/6KNSFb

It seemed to have lost them on being air braked, unless it lost them before that?

Paul J.

Superb pictures of Deltics in their natural habitat. The one of 005 arriving in your first post has everything.

Very kind of you to say so.

I travelled on the ECML with 'rover' tickets of one sort or another in the mid 70s and took photos at places which took my fancy e.g. with semaphore signals or old signal boxes etc. I'll be putting these up in due course, from London to Berwick.

Regards

Trevor

Two more pictures of mine at Kings Cross:

attachicon.gif(160bS) 55017+55014 Kings Cross 1-8-75(T Ermel) .jpg

With the redundant station signal box prominent in the centre, 55017 and 55014 wait to move out to the stabling/refuelling point away to the left on 3rd August 1975

attachicon.gif(025dS) 55014 Kings X+stabling point 03-08-75 (T Ermel) .jpg

Photographed from the road over Gasworks Tunnel, 55017 sets off for the north on 1st August 1975

Trevor

Sunning photos at Kings X. My brother and I had a ride from the buffers to the platform end on RSG in about 1972! Noise of Napiers echoing around the train shed as you climbed steps from Underground to concourse was unforgettable! Thanks for posting. Andy

I've just noticed that D9000 had a couple of footsteps in the top L & R corners of the buffer beam cutaway. I don't remember seeing them on any other Deltic. Was D9000 the only Deltic to have them?

It seemed to have lost them on being air braked, unless it lost them before that?

Paul J.

Well, Paul, I've never noticed that before. Thanks for pointing it out!

This site is probably a good place to see if anyone can fill us in on the details.

Cheers

Trevor

Paul J.

When D9000 was built it had an experimental Xenon flashing headlamp installed and no central footstep. These must have been fitted in lieu of the footstep that the the other Deltics had as standard, otherwise there would have been no footstep at all. When the light was removed it was replaced with a smaller bespoke footstep in the light aperture, to bring the provision back in line with the other class members - and reduce the risk of someone not paying attention missing his footing. This made the extra ones redundant and they were removed at a later date.

Edited by Titan

Last two of mine from the London area:

attachicon.gif(262bS) 55021 'FS' Copenhagen Bank 01-08-75 (T Ermel).jpg

55021 with the 'Flying Scotsman' climbing between Gasworks and Copenhagen Tunnels, soon after leaving Kings Cross on 1st August 1975

attachicon.gif(263bS) 55017 Wood Green 01-08-75 (T Ermel) .jpg

Five miles out and 55017 is getting into its stride at Wood green later that same day, passing the rather nice wooden signal box which looks a bit out of place under the wires.

Next ones will be more 'out in the sticks'

Trevor 

Super pictures. A glimpse of where i was educated in one shot too. I used to skive off school and lurk around Hitchin Stockyard. No one batted an eyelid about the lad in school uniform watching trains from a convenient brakevan. In fact on occasion there wasn't a convenient brakevan so they'd shunt me one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Super pictures. A glimpse of where i was educated in one shot too. I used to skive off school and lurk around Hitchin Stockyard. No one batted an eyelid about the lad in school uniform watching trains from a convenient brakevan. In fact on occasion there wasn't a convenient brakevan so they'd shunt me one.

Was that the 08 driver with a flat cap and wellies* ? He took one off in the staffroom once. . . .I transfered to Royston because of that. . still getting counselling now. 

His lunch was bread and Guinness,  think that would be frowned upon now.

He was happy enough for me to sit in the cab with him all morning and sometime even go for a ride to the other yards but hardly said a word. He had a knack of finding a wide joint in the former up loco the 08 would roll into and stop. It always looked like it never moved as it was always parked in exactly the same place.

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif(155bS) 55021 Sandy 31-07-75 (T Ermel) .jpg

55021 heads north through Sandy on 31st July 1975 under clear semaphores. The disused trackbed on the left was the route of the old L&NWR line from Oxford to Cambridge which crossed over the main line behind me

Excellent ! You're on Cambridge road bridge, the footbridge you see is 'Alley Bridge' which was the most popular spotting location for us as kids. The Down main signal the Deltic has passed under is on a post in my back garden.

• Like 1

Excellent ! You're on Cambridge road bridge, the footbridge you see is 'Alley Bridge' which was the most popular spotting location for us as kids. The Down main signal the Deltic has passed under is on a post in my back garden.

Sounds interesting, Dave/Crispy!  Why not take a photo and upload it to the 'Souvenirs from the Good Old Days' currently running on this site?

Cheers

Trevor

• RMweb Gold

Some absolutely fab shots there Trev. Many thanks for sharing.

In fact, thanks to all contributors.

(I only managed one descent shot of a Deltic fully powered - and I can't find it!!)

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at your pictures Trevor has made me think about some of the first railway picture books I had in the late 70s. I particularly remember a couple called Diesels Nationwide (Volumes 1 and 2). I presumed the pictures contained within them would have been among the best available at the time but your pictures, from the same era, are streets ahead of many of them in terms of quality and composition. Did you ever try to get them published somewhere back then? The recent images you've posted on various threads of Deltics, Westerns and 50s have been quite brilliant. Thank you for sharing them.