Deltic Class 55 Photos

A couple on the outskirts of Newcastle, now:

post-24907-0-13352300-1510519515_thumb.jpg

55011 heads north at Benton Quarry on 7th August 1975

post-24907-0-30563500-1510518374_thumb.jpg

Immediately after the last picture the main line passes under the Tyneside 'coastal loop' near Benton. This was electrified on the 3rd-rail system until 1967, but by the time this picture was taken the route was run by DMUs. Here 55007 is about to dive below the loop line with a northbound train on a misty 29th December 1975

Only two more to go - at Berwick

Trevor

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful pictures of Berwick. My Dad was born there so when I was younger we had lots of holidays there. I spent much of the time watching the Deltics at the station and going over the Bridge. We often went for a walk along the pier in the evening, if the wind was blowing in the right direction you could hear the deltics coming along the clifftops for several minutes, bliss.

Later I had a railrover, I was looking at a Deltic and chatting to the driver. He invited me into the cab for a run up the ECML. Amazing experience.

• RMweb Gold

Well spotted - I hadn't noticed that!

Here's another shot of the same train two days later where it appears the same arrangement could be operation:

attachicon.gif(129a) 55011 Tyne Tees Pullman Gateshead 08-08-75 (T Ermel) .jpg

Up 'Tees-Tyne Pullman' behind 55011 at Gateshead on 8th August 1975

Cheers

Trevor

Really nice photographs. I like this one especially - the retaining wall has been demolished in preparation for the A184 link off the A1 western bypass.

Really nice photographs. I like this one especially - the retaining wall has been demolished in preparation for the A184 link off the A1 western bypass.

Would be Interesting to see a photo taken from the same place today (If still possible of course ?).

Cheers, Bob.

Would be Interesting to see a photo taken from the same place today (If still possible of course ?).

Cheers, Bob.

I'll see what I can do next time I'm in Gateshead - won't be a 'Deltic' of course!

In the meantime here's a shot taken when more of the construction work for the new bridge had taken place.

post-24907-0-13395700-1510832299_thumb.jpg

47526 northbound at Gateshead on 29th November 1975

Trevor

• Like 6

I'll see what I can do next time I'm in Gateshead - won't be a 'Deltic' of course!

In the meantime here's a shot taken when more of the construction work for the new bridge had taken place.

attachicon.gif(034cS) 47526 Gateshead 29-11-75 (T Ermel).jpg

47526 northbound at Gateshead on 29th November 1975

Trevor

Thanks Trevor - Shame about no Deltic though :banghead:

Cheers, Bob.

Berwick-upon-Tweed, the most northerly station in England, was as far as my 'Northumbrian Ranger' ticket (£6.80 for 7 days) would take me:

attachicon.gif(574cS) 55020 Royal Border Bridge Berwick 7-8-75 (T Ermel) .jpg

55020 crosses the River Tweed on the Royal Border Bridge with a northbound train on 7th August 1975

Cheers

Trevor

Super pictures. Keep 'em coming. I find it hard to believe that viaduct is built on wooden piles sunk into the river bed.

• RMweb Gold

Leaving Newcastle, northbound trains crossed the impressive Ouseburn Viaduct, between Manors and Heaton:

attachicon.gif(106bS) 55005 Ouseburn Viaduct 3-7-76 (T Ermel).jpg

55005 crosses the viaduct heading for Edinburgh on 3rd July 1976

attachicon.gif(1438bS) 550xx Ouseburn Viaduct Byker Bridge Newcastle 23-5-75 (T Ermel) .jpg

A wider view as a 'Deltic' (possibly 55018 Ballymoss, ​by the length of the nameplate) heads in the opposite direction on 23rd May 1975.

Those who remember the 1970s TV programme 'Whatever happened to the Likely Lads' might recognise this scene from the end credits.

The view of the train would be obscured these days by the Metro viaduct which was built between the railway viaduct and Byker road bridge.

Trevor

Excellent pictures, its always intrigued me as to what the short chimney is seems like it comes from underground so a furnace ventilation shaft from a pit perhaps?

• RMweb Premium

Recognised the 'Likely Lads' one straight away! IIRC the title/end credits feature plain blue cl.101s formed of 2-car units.

The Durham viaduct one looks like a good model with a photo backscene - but with daylight shining on it, the colours look washed out :)

Wasn't it Bensham cutting where the s/bound Deltics were opened up? I remember reading that someone waiting to photograph them further south knew they were coming because of the grey clag as the engines 'cleared their throats'

• 3 weeks later...

Recognised the 'Likely Lads' one straight away! IIRC the title/end credits feature plain blue cl.101s formed of 2-car units.

The Durham viaduct one looks like a good model with a photo backscene - but with daylight shining on it, the colours look washed out :)

Wasn't it Bensham cutting where the s/bound Deltics were opened up? I remember reading that someone waiting to photograph them further south knew they were coming because of the grey clag as the engines 'cleared their throats'

Apologies for the late reply...

Yes, the ''Deltics' were opened up just after clearing King Edward Bridge Junction, and powered past the site of Bensham station. I used to live within earshot of there and it was always a comfort to hear them late at night with a southbound sleeper. ..and then one night they had gone  :cry: 

Not sure about your comment re Durham Viaduct. Royal Border Bridge, perhaps? - but I know the effect you mean.

Trevor

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not sure about your comment re Durham Viaduct. Royal Border Bridge, perhaps? - but I know the effect you mean.

Trevor

I'm not sure why I put 'viaduct' in, but the one I meant was in post #259 of 55004 :)

• RMweb Premium

Excellent pictures, its always intrigued me as to what the short chimney is seems like it comes from underground so a furnace ventilation shaft from a pit perhaps?

had a look on old-maps and it's there on the 1861 OS town plan (1:500) - however, it's just marked 'chimney' with no mention of what/where it serves

Leaving Newcastle, northbound trains crossed the impressive Ouseburn Viaduct, between Manors and Heaton:

attachicon.gif(106bS) 55005 Ouseburn Viaduct 3-7-76 (T Ermel).jpg

55005 crosses the viaduct heading for Edinburgh on 3rd July 1976

attachicon.gif(1438bS) 550xx Ouseburn Viaduct Byker Bridge Newcastle 23-5-75 (T Ermel) .jpg

A wider view as a 'Deltic' (possibly 55018 Ballymoss, ​by the length of the nameplate) heads in the opposite direction on 23rd May 1975.

Those who remember the 1970s TV programme 'Whatever happened to the Likely Lads' might recognise this scene from the end credits.

The view of the train would be obscured these days by the Metro viaduct which was built between the railway viaduct and Byker road bridge.

Trevor

Not 'arf Trev...!

post-7638-0-59793600-1512590023.jpg

Can't watch WHTTLL or Get Carter without thinking about Deltics...

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I think I'm right in saying that Deltics weren't regularly diagrammed to work to Hull until the 1970s.

If you look in the timetable section of Napier Chronicles you can see the booked turns, for example 1967.

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/wtt67summer.htm

Up until the early 1970s many of the Hull workings were portions joined/detached at Doncaster, with a Deltic more likely on the ECML section. I'm sure there were occasions when they did make it, though not so often.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for the info, I've been using the Chronicles of Napier to try and find as much info as possible.

As far as I can find, the first Deltic at Hull was D9006 which was in 1967, although I'm yet to find photographic evidence of this!!

Edited by Andy 53B

4 Kitchen or Buffet coaches in the first 6 coaches is rather extravagant.

Nothing odd about that, it is Pullman service, quite often a kitchen would be swapped with a parlour for maintenance purposes. The Mk1 RU would do the bulk of the cooking, and it's seating and some of the RMB would be laid up for dining for the normals in second class.

Edited by 45125

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A more recent view: https://goo.gl/maps/MkWzNC3w4nz

If you scroll along the street, you can see that the pub is still there, though whether its 70s and 80s regulars would recognise it is another matter. The area has clearly undergone a certain amount of regeneration:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.9753198,-1.5921386,20z/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en