High Level Kits

High Level Kits

Hello All,

This ongoing thread is an informal way of letting folk know what I’m up to. I won’t be going over the back catalogue so much as giving details, with pics, of new stuff as it nears completion – or anything else that may be of interest. You can get more specific info from the website at: www.highlevelkits.co.uk

In view of the fact that High Level produce gearboxes, chassis kits, bogies and chassis components, as well as complete etched kits, Kitbuilding and Scratchbuilding seems to be the most appropriate section in which to post details of current developments.

Chris Gibbon.

Latest chassis, ready in 2-3 months – LNER/BR J72, fully compensated, correct brakegear for this type, suitable for all Mainline/Bachmann bodyshells but offering infinitely better running. In due course we may will produce a separate kit for the short-bunker J72s (BR 68670-89) which had a totally different chassis.

Latest new full Loco Kit, ready in 2-3 months – North Staffordshire Railway battery engine BEL2, as preserved in the National Collection. Fully compensated, high reduction 4WD, lots of lost wax detail castings.

post-16143-0-90674800-1398699589.jpg

post-16143-0-91271500-1398699709.jpg

• Like 11

Latest new full Loco Kit, ready in 2-3 months – North Staffordshire Railway battery engine BEL2, as preserved in the National Collection. Fully compensated, high reduction 4WD, lots of lost wax detail castings.

Oh my; I'll definitely have to treat myself!

Oh my; I'll definitely have to treat myself!

There's a snap of it here sat alongside my old school playing fields after it was restored ( I wonder where?).

745-0.jpg

It can also be seen in this pic of Oakamoor from 1949 but not close enough to determine its livery at that time:

Oakamoor.jpg

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw024642

Does anyone know of any images of its livery in latter days before restoration?

• Like 4

There's a snap of it here sat alongside my old school playing fields after it was restored ( I wonder where?). 745-0.jpg It can also be seen in this pic of Oakamoor from 1949 but not close enough to determine its livery at that time:attachicon.gifOakamoor.jpghttp://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw024642 Does anyone know of any images of its livery in latter days before restoration?

I love quirky looking things and that is right up my street

Am I really seeing someone's face in the middle window?

I have this pic which someone sent me. It's Bel 1,but I would guess no 2 would be similar. I can't imagine BR lavishing much attention on painting and lining such a loco...

In due course we may will produce a separate kit for the short-bunker J72s (BR 68670-89) which had a totally different chassis.

Hi Chris,

When you do the short chassis would it be possible to include an etch for the short bunker?

Thanks in advance :-)

Steve

Canada

Hi Chris,

When you do the short chassis would it be possible to include an etch for the short bunker?

Thanks in advance :-)

Steve

Canada

That's the plan Steve, and etches for the bufferbeams and it's possible I may offer detail castings as an option. The present version, with the compensated brake rods, is compatible with the majority of the class, and the plastic body, as it comes

• Like 1

Here's a couple of better pictures of the J72 which give an idea of the valve gear and compensated brakerods. I've used 0.4mm wire for the rodding, so the brakegear is actually quite strong, considering it's to scale.

This type of chassis is applicable to all LNER/BR-built  locos, and the later NER (post 1914) ones too. This model is P4 and has 108:1 box with 1024 motor. It's been put together by Dave Franks (AKA davefrk) hence the neat exceptionally neat soldering and siderods that look like they've been milled out of solid steel!

I'm going to try and have these ready for Expo or Railex this year... 

post-16143-0-36419400-1398949040_thumb.jpg

post-16143-0-15930800-1398949053_thumb.jpg

Edited by High Level Kits
  • Like 9

Alan Gibson's the answer to both questions - the wheels are standard Gibson 03s and the plunger pick-ups are also Gibson. These are the new type with more delicate springing. I like to fit them because they provide a neat solution which avoids the pick-up wires having to negotiate their way around brake rods and springs.

Thanks Chris

I like to fit them because they provide a neat solution which avoids the pick-up wires having to negotiate their way around brake rods and springs.

They do indeed, fitting pick ups is definitely my least favourite kit building task.

• RMweb Premium

ISTR that I used the Alan Gibson plunger pickups on my High Level L&Y Pug chassis build of who-knows-how-many-years-ago-now, and felt they made life that bit easier. Well worth trying them out in my opinion.