High Level Kits

High Level Kits

Like others, I really like the sound of the J72 chassis. I am also interested in having a go at a CSB chassis. Does the J72 support that as supplied, or will it need modifying?

Thanks.

Mike, for the first time I've actually built in the CSB facility - some of the crosswires that support the brakes can be used as pivots -  but have kept this  out of the main instructions to avoid confusion  (on top of x3 track gauges +  rigid +  2 compensation methods). I need to test one, then I'll probably put a page on the site showing how it works.

• Like 2

I think I may just change my shopping list for Expo and add another item from the High Level stand. Guess what!  :no:

Phil

That's the plan Steve, and etches for the bufferbeams and it's possible I may offer detail castings as an option. The present version, with the compensated brake rods, is compatible with the majority of the class, and the plastic body, as it comes

Hi Chris,

I improved a couple of my J72s with the Mainly Trains chassis which now look very basic compared to yours! Will it be possible to fit the inside valve gear in an OO gauge chassis?

The cab of the J72 is very empty once the Bachmann motor lump is removed so a backhead and other cab details would be a welcome addition.

The improvement your Pug kit made to my ex-Dapol model is amazing, so I am eagerly anticipating this one.

Best regards,

Steve

Canada

Hi Chris,

I improved a couple of my J72s with the Mainly Trains chassis which now look very basic compared to yours! Will it be possible to fit the inside valve gear in an OO gauge chassis?

The cab of the J72 is very empty once the Bachmann motor lump is removed so a backhead and other cab details would be a welcome addition.

The improvement your Pug kit made to my ex-Dapol model is amazing, so I am eagerly anticipating this one.

Best regards,

Steve

Canada

Glad you enjoyed the pug Steve. The J72 instructions recommend a simplified version of the valve gear and if you choose to compensate in OO then the beam goes through the motion bracket where the valves are.

• 4 weeks later...

Chris

If we are all good little boys and girls and get our letters off early, what are the chnaces of this marvelous piece of work being applied to the forthcoming Hornby J15? I am staring at a pile of blank sandwiches of 0.022" nickel silver strips (you see when I was a good little boy I read Guy Williams articles...for it was a long time ago...) contemplating the completion of five J15 chassis. I promise to be kind to people I don't like and adopt stray animals if this is likely to become a reality....

Best,

Marcus

New Yor

Hello Marcus,

I've just had a look at a pic of the J15 and I'm not sure it would be a goer.

My last Great Eastern engine, the Y5, didn't exactly set the world on fire (relatively speaking) although it was well received by those who actually bough it. I'll keep my eyes and ears open and see what the punters' response is to the prospect of the model's release, but you're the first to mention it up to now.

Please,  do go ahead with all the other stuff on your list of promises and you'll be an inspiration to others...

Hello Marcus,

I've just had a look at a pic of the J15 and I'm not sure it would be a goer.

My last Great Eastern engine, the Y5, didn't exactly set the world on fire (relatively speaking) although it was well received by those who actually bough it. I'll keep my eyes and ears open and see what the punters' response is to the prospect of the model's release, but you're the first to mention it up to now.

Please, do go ahead with all the other stuff on your list of promises and you'll be an inspiration to others...

There was me looking for a short cut - J65 x 2 chassis on the bench, GER wagon decals in design stage and sourcing a means of producing a GER Dia 17 (+Dia 16?) to replace Danny Pinnocks long lost kits are keeping me busy right now. Then in an idle moment I cut a set of J15 frames, since they were on my mind...

I asked Brassmasters the same question and they seem to be planning one of their overlay type chassis for P4 for the J15, so that probably let's you off the hook.

I just need to clear those Parkside van bodies off the bench to get anything done!

Best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER

• 2 weeks later...

Im looking into coreless motors that could be used instead of Mashima motors with High level gearboxes, Ive seen some that look like they would be a good match with screw holes etc, Im wondering if anyone has looked into this already with regards suppliers.

Mike

Im looking into coreless motors that could be used instead of Mashima motors with High level gearboxes, Ive seen some that look like they would be a good match with screw holes etc, Im wondering if anyone has looked into this already with regards suppliers.

The German kit makers use a similar combination in their tender drives. Not very efficient with worms, though....

Mike

A Maxon?

15 mm dia. x 36 mm long. 10 mm centres for fixing holes.

Porcy

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just like to say what prompt service, ordered Saturday afternoon and received today in time for MrsB to give me it as a Christmas present.

It's always a pleasure dealing with Chris , helpful with queries and quick on dispatch .

• Like 1

Chris; If you design a new EM chassis for the old DJH Barclay I'll happily have your babies, mate! :derisive:

With all this talk of babies it's worth considering that Mr G may have had more than just a hand in the conception of the original DJH AB!

I keep suggesting a complete 14" 0-4-0 Barclay saddle tank to Chris  but he never rises to the bait.

But then... even if he did bring out an AB... would you buy a loco kit of this man???

post-508-0-52302500-1419422268_thumb.jpg

He he... I've been looking for an excuse to post that for ages...

Happy Christmas Chris...

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2