High Level Kits

High Level Kits

• RMweb Premium

The 64xx chassis is on it's (hopefully) final test build as we speak, another winner methinks. It's probably me that's held it up being so busy with other jobs but it's going together very well. Chris has allowed me to post some piccies if there is interest.

And, just to add, the gearbox in the 64xx is a new design at just 8mm wide but with a grubscrew final drive gear and slightly different ratio. Chris hopes to revisit some of the other gearboxes to add this new grubscrew fitting. It runs as sweet as a nut.

Dave Franks.

Any photos are gratefully received.

• RMweb Gold

It runs as sweet as a nut.

Whilst a testament to Chris and his design skills, that will also be down to your own skill as the builder, Dave.

Odd saying, though, for something as irregular and gnarled as a nut to used to describe something running sweetly.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hello, just been speaking to Dave Franks who's building the model for the stand. It'll be the 64xx variant. The reason I ask Dave to do the final model is because it's good to have someone work through the instructions afresh (who doesn't know them off by heart) plus, Dave makes a fantastic job of the model. So, I 'm also looking forward to the photos as well...

With regard to delivery dates, I realise things are well beyond the date promised for this kit, but there have been a few issues with delivery dates from etchers etc, plus, I decided to put a few castings in which extended the time, so apologies for that but hope you'll think it's worth it in the long run.

Cheers,

Chris.

P.S. Porcy, your obsession with my past is becoming slightly unhealthy. If you use up all my pictures on model railway forums, you won’t have any left for when you write my biography! 

• Like 3

There you go...

attachicon.gifChri-G-MTD3-copy.gif

Well you did say, "any photo's".

Recognise him Dave?

P

That really was unkind Porcy...

Axlebox, have you any piccies of Porcy?  Like when he was stuck on top of a Presflo.... A video... That would be even better....

Dave Franks

Waiting on the camera battery to charge up.

• Like 1

Porcy, your obsession with my past is becoming slightly unhealthy.

It's just part of my obsession for anything old with historic North East undertones. I feel I have a duty to show those pictures as it shows how things were in a long forgotten bygone era. Be flattered the images show how well you have worn.

If you use up all my pictures on model railway forums, you won’t have any left for when you write my biography! 

I've got that other Rock gods biography to finish first but I've got the Working Title for your volumes One & Two.

Confessions of a Railway Toddler. The Early Years., followed by: 31's not out. Rolling bogies.

P

That chassis looks great. Are the springs cast? If so will they be available separately?

Hi Snooper, no they are multilayed N/S etches, the last layer is part of the frames, they fold up like a Z and the edges are carefully filed down for looks as are the coupling rods.

Hope that helps,

Dave Franks.

Don't worry Chris, you are not the only one he's unearthed prehistoric pics of....

I'm just glad I've only known Porcy for about five years, I don't think I've changed that much.

Dave Franks

There were pictures of me Granda in the 'Chronicle' a couple of years ago though and I'm told I look quite like him now.

Dave/Chris

I'll struggle to get anything on Porcy in his younger days as by all accounts he was a bit of a 'looker' (according to my 2 sisters that went to school with him)...however I did find this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yurohd_fqj4

51 seconds in you get the return of the mullet...what you can't see is the African influence in his dress sense, most of which comes from here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz538x-CS44

...except when he does hoops, like here...

http://www.scalefour.org/scalefournorth/2015/blackgill/

...and yes I will probably regret this...

I'm just glad I've only known Porcy for about five years, I don't think I've changed that much.

Dave Franks

So have I, yet he found me in the depths of flickr taken around 1971.....I didn't even know I was there. So don't think you are safe......

Nice looking chassis build too Dave.

Edited by pete55

Dave Franks

There were pictures of me Granda in the 'Chronicle' a couple of years ago though and I'm told I look quite like him now.

It's been a good few years since I did any work for the Chronicle but I still have access to their photies so beware. BUT that doesn't stop yet another repeat showing of this gem:

https://youtu.be/ybT3s73lUhg?t=3m33s

and of course your most famous line:

post-508-0-67723700-1445384149.jpg

Dave/Chris

I'll struggle to get anything on Porcy in his younger days as by all accounts he was a bit of a 'looker'

As you know I would (and still do) duck & dive at the appearance of a camera and as I always relate when your sisters tell that tale, they kindly miss out the word, "ugly" and always get the first letter of looker mixed up with another consonant.

Dave/Chris

what you can't see is the African influence in his dress sense, most of which comes from here...

Nothing wrong with Safari jackets.

...except when he does hoops, like here...

Bang goes my anonymity. It's break out the disguise for future shows.

post-508-0-89112900-1445385397.png

...and yes I will probably regret this...

Probability doesn't come into it!

So have I, yet he found me in the depths of flickr taken around 1971

1971!

I thought The Modernisation Plan was but a pipe dream within some BTC planners St Bruno when that was taken.

It's good to share:

https://flic.kr/p/LJyUA

:blum_mini: to you all.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Now look, settle down, this wasn't how I envisaged the publicity for my new chassis turning out!!!

The kit will go under the Bachmann 64XX with larger wheels fitted, making it a 54XX. This just needs a bit of grinding for P4 and , I think, you may get away without any grinding for OO as the wheels are so far inboard; EM, not sure... Brakes are there for 54/64 and 7400s.

I was intending making the springs detachable but, when I looked at the instructions for the 3 types of engine, it was pushing the level of complication over the edge. I am running some tests on a few with a view to offering them as an after-market job, and I'm also looking into the possibility of separate valve gear frets, to detail other stuff.