High Level Kits

High Level Kits

• 2 weeks later...

It would be bad form to post pics of High Level engines on Hattons’ thread for their new product, but here’s one to illustrate what ‘nothing’ under the boiler looks like. This Black Hawthorn (built by the late John Hayes) illustrates it pretty well.

I've e mailed Hattons to ask about the possibility of buying bodies only, but I would imagine they're pretty busy at the moment.

John built a few High Level kits which I can post pictures of if anyone’s interested?...

post-16143-0-54038500-1505465039_thumb.jpg

Edited by High Level Kits
  • Like 19

I've e mailed Hattons to ask about the possibility of buying bodies only, but I would imagine they're pretty busy at the moment.

Maybe they'd be open to supplying you with (unpainted?) bodies for resale, possibly with assurances that you wouldn't cannibalise 00 sales?

The Nim.

More news on the Fowler 70HP 0-4-0 DM...

The photos show the final product which will be on display at Scalefourum this year. We’ve just taken delivery of etches, lost waxes are due, so about three weeks from now would be realistic for delivery.

All castings are brass, as are the body etchings, with the chassis in slightly thicker, nickel silver.

The mechanism is unorthodox, with the jackshaft coupled to the rear wheels, and also gears driving the front wheels, so they can run without any crankpins to avoid clearance problems. The gear ratio is 108:1 for super-slow running, although 80, or even 60:1 can also be supplied on request. The kit is priced at £110, which includes the gearbox. We can supply the 1020 motor and Alan Gibson Y9 wheels are needed to finish off the loco.

You can place your order, register your interest, or make enquiries at Scalefourum, where the model will be on display, or drop us a line at enquiries@highlevelkits.co.uk

post-16143-0-00948400-1505477212_thumb.jpg

post-16143-0-51596600-1505477236_thumb.jpg

post-16143-0-66629700-1505477255_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

This Black Hawthorn (built by the late John Hayes) illustrates it pretty well.

Hard to believe this is 4mm scale...stunning 

I'd be down for a couple of etched Barclay chassis (both 14'' and 16'') if they were in the offing.  

Paul A. 

I'd also be interested in a Barclay chassis (even if the body isn't available separately)

Depending on the construction methods used by Hattons, would adding parts for the earlier curved cab side sheets be possible?

I'd also be interested in a Barclay chassis (even if the body isn't available separately)

Depending on the construction methods used by Hattons, would adding parts for the earlier curved cab side sheets be possible?

I would certainly consider extra bits to cover more variants although the NCB cabs look tricky to fold up...

+1

Doing both sizes would make sense.

Maybe they'd be open to supplying you with (unpainted?) bodies for resale, possibly with assurances that you wouldn't cannibalise 00 sales?....

I think that the Class 14 and the Beyer-Garratt episodes have shown that spares, never mind spare bodies, are not necessarily a strong point for Hattons.

I think that the Class 14 and the Beyer-Garratt episodes have shown that spares, never mind spare bodies, are not necessarily a strong point for Hattons.

Hattons' Dave replied to my mail and said that Hattons aren't really geared up for handling spares and only receive complete locos from the supplier, so bodies-only are pretty much ruled out.

In spite of this, the body looks so good, and the response to a possible chassis kit has been very encouraging, so it's still a possibility...

• Like 2

Hattons' Dave replied to my mail and said that Hattons aren't really geared up for handling spares and only receive complete locos from the supplier, so bodies-only are pretty much ruled out.

In spite of this, the body looks so good, and the response to a possible chassis kit has been very encouraging, so it's still a possibility...

Or, in other words, 'about time we had a crack at that 0-16.5 effort' we have been muttering about, 'cos it looks like a chassis the narrow gauge community will snap up if its offered post-High-Level replacement...

Yes please, Chris. I'll only end up scratchbuilding if you don't.

Adam

What are you planning on doing for a mechanism Porcy?...

Well, there's this gadgee lives just up the road from me and when he put his mind to it, he can design a canny chassis & gearbox (and the odd industrial loco). I'll be relying on him to come up with something a little stronger than this.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126141-announcement-andrew-barclay-14-16-0-4-0st-in-oo-gauge/page-12&do=findComment&comment=2857108

Seriously this is just a test chassis to see how the gearbox and motor performs. As I said in the linked post I don't expect it to be very durable. I'll weight the chassis with lead and use a belt to drive the second axle to save farting about with quartering.

post-508-0-75525900-1506074067.jpg

P