High Level Kits

High Level Kits

Quiz question.

I am looking to buy the horizontal minimiser gearbox and put it in a chassis with romford axels and wheels. However it is the only gear box which has some notation next to it about some width of axel. Living in the states I can not ask in person at a show. So can I buy this gearbox and run it with romford wheels or have I got to find another type to go in a small 2-4-0 tank loco ?

Any help or advice from those more familiar with these as I want to avoid getting it all here to find it does not work.

Many thanks

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Quiz question.

I am looking to buy the horizontal minimiser gearbox and put it in a chassis with romford axels and wheels. However it is the only gear box which has some notation next to it about some width of axel. Living in the states I can not ask in person at a show. So can I buy this gearbox and run it with romford wheels or have I got to find another type to go in a small 2-4-0 tank loco ?

Any help or advice from those more familiar with these as I want to avoid getting it all here to find it does not work.

Many thanks

Richard

Richard, apologies, I missed your question...  all the gearboxes can be supplied with 2mm, 3mm or 1/8in final drive gear, but the MicroMiser is 2mm only. If 60:1 is a big enough ratio, try the RRC+ for size...

• 1 month later...

Things being the way they are these days,with longer delivery times on most of the services we use, the few Fowlers left in stock will be the last ones available before Christmas, so if any may be needed to go off to Santa then best to order soon.

We also have some 1420s motors - these are particularly useful for mounting vertically in fireboxes on engines where you don't want to cut through the boiler.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Re possible Peckett chassis. Having just pre ordered a Peckett for delivery next year, I would definitely be interested in a replacement chassis kit please Chris.

Arthur

I think you will find Chris talked about a Barclay chassis. I am working on a chassis for the Peckett.

Gordon A

I think you will find Chris talked about a Barclay chassis. I am working on a chassis for the Peckett.

Gordon A

Sorry, came to this thread late via the Scalefour forum and obviously got wrong end of stick! Anyhow, put me down for a Peckett chassis kit when you get it to market please.

Arthur

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just dragging this one to the top to say I recently bought something from High Level for the second time and the customer service was totally faultless, same as the first time  :)

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well thank you. I do my best, but sometimes circumstances, long delivery times for parts etc, get in the way. 

You're more than welcome :) You're also very patient with people who haven't got a clue what they are doing (i.e. me!).

I've always found the service and product excellent.

Ordered a couple of motors only last week and a reply within seconds confirming the order and whether I needed any worms etc. 

I await the postie as I type.

Oh that would be so easy!  :laugh:  :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

I've always found the service and product excellent.

Ordered a couple of motors only last week and a reply within seconds confirming the order and whether I needed any worms etc. 

I await the postie as I type.

My mum tells me I drank a bottle of kitten worming fluid when I was a nipper so I'm worm free.

Technical Bulletin:

Anyone who’s bought a gearbox over the last 18 months will almost certainly have a new, modified version (Unless it was a SlimLiner or MicroMiser, which are unchanged).

A 23 tooth ‘hybrid’ gear (brass centre, nylon teeth) is now used at the axle and this allows a grubscrew fixing throughout the full range of boxes.

Previously, the Loctite fixing required on the axle gears was the most requested change for the gearboxes and, for many, a major influence in their choice of box. This new gear required a re-design of the boxes (although the range is basically the same) and this included re-working the boxes, tightening up tolerances and taking care of sideplay within the units to make a more precise job. The 23 tooth (instead of 20) means the old ratio’s have increased by 12%, so 40:1 becomes 45:1, 54:1 is now 60:1 etc.

The instructions have all been redone in a more user-friendly format. Anyone needing info can, on request via e-mail, view any of the instructions in PDF form.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I think a couple of the boxes I just bought were showing as having loctite on the planner so it was a pleasant surprise when they were all grub screw :)

But thinking back to the first one I bought mid last year I think you said at the time some ratios had changed so you probably said then anyway!

I think a couple of the boxes I just bought were showing as having loctite on the planner so it was a pleasant surprise when they were all grub screw :)

But thinking back to the first one I bought mid last year I think you said at the time some ratios had changed so you probably said then anyway!

Yes, you've reminded me, on the 'to do' list is the gear planner. It's not too urgent as the profiles are the same within 0.5mm but I still need to get onto it at some point. One day, I'll get around to flywheels!...

Technical Bulletin:

Anyone who’s bought a gearbox over the last 18 months will almost certainly have a new, modified version (Unless it was a SlimLiner or MicroMiser, which are unchanged).

A 23 tooth ‘hybrid’ gear (brass centre, nylon teeth) is now used at the axle and this allows a grubscrew fixing throughout the full range of boxes.

Previously, the Loctite fixing required on the axle gears was the most requested change for the gearboxes and, for many, a major influence in their choice of box. This new gear required a re-design of the boxes (although the range is basically the same) and this included re-working the boxes, tightening up tolerances and taking care of sideplay within the units to make a more precise job. The 23 tooth (instead of 20) means the old ratio’s have increased by 12%, so 40:1 becomes 45:1, 54:1 is now 60:1 etc.

The instructions have all been redone in a more user-friendly format. Anyone needing info can, on request via e-mail, view any of the instructions in PDF form.

And a great improvement they too, brill!