High Level Kits

High Level Kits

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MarkC said:

Indeed - but happy days for the seller...however I do wonder if there might yet be a sting in the tale, as it were, because the listing clearly states 4mm scale...

Yes. But the seller has sold it in good faith: many people don't know it's to H0 scale. The bad faith belongs to Backwoods. When I was trying to get one out of him a couple of years ago and he was stringing me along telling me he'd definitely ordered the gears, and then finally after two months admitted that he hadn't in fact ordered them, he never once mentioned that it was to 3.5mm scale. Once the relationship had soured I did point that out to him but I can't remember his answer. 

13 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Yes. But the seller has sold it in good faith: many people don't know it's to H0 scale. The bad faith belongs to Backwoods. When I was trying to get one out of him a couple of years ago and he was stringing me along telling me he'd definitely ordered the gears, and then finally after two months admitted that he hadn't in fact ordered them, he never once mentioned that it was to 3.5mm scale. Once the relationship had soured I did point that out to him but I can't remember his answer. 

Thanks for that. I'm just pleased I never bought one some years ago - but I was sorely tempted, with it being something <different>...

Mark

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, MarkC said:

Thanks for that. I'm just pleased I never bought one some years ago - but I was sorely tempted, with it being something <different>...

Mark

Me too - on both counts. I went so far as to scale the RM drawing up to 4mm on a photocopier with a view to scratchbuilding, and I took lots of detailed photos at Beamish and the Tanfield (if Chris wants them!), but I was stuck on how to do the big steampunk cog under the crane proper; the valve gear is something of a cat's cradle too. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, MJI said:

Looks like we had a spate of postal theft, lost are 2 light shades from Amazon and 2mm steel rod from High Level.

I have also had a small packet with a couple of replacement parts go missing from High Level, Chris is on it and I have another gearbox on order, so all will get sorted eventually

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, High Level Kits said:

It's looking increasingly likely that we're going to be stuck inside for a good while now.

With no shows in sight, I'm finally squaring up to the Hattons Barclay. This will be a chassis for the 14 inch only, EM, P4... not sure about OO (anyone actually want one in OO?)

I don't suppose Hattons would ever consider making the body-only available? Like with the Hornby Peckett, it seems such a wasteful way of getting a P4 loco.

Steve

2 hours ago, High Level Kits said:

It's looking increasingly likely that we're going to be stuck inside for a good while now.

With no shows in sight, I'm finally squaring up to the Hattons Barclay. This will be a chassis for the 14 inch only, EM, P4... not sure about OO (anyone actually want one in OO?)

Excellent! No rush, I’ve still got a few other things to fix but I’m very pleased to hear that you are on it.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, steve howe said:

I don't suppose Hattons would ever consider making the body-only available? Like with the Hornby Peckett, it seems such a wasteful way of getting a P4 loco.

Steve

There are three options, flog the redundant chassis, save it to use when and if you have running rights on an 00 layout or do like some industrial companies did and save the old one to cannibalize for parts.

Cheers,

David

18 minutes ago, davknigh said:

There are three options, flog the redundant chassis, save it to use when and if you have running rights on an 00 layout or do like some industrial companies did and save the old one to cannibalize for parts.

Cheers,

David

Ebay is one way out, another is my alter-ego of 7mm 0-16.5 narrow gauge. However my stock of redundant 00 chassis is accumulating and there's only so many semi-freelance NG locos one can get away with!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, steve howe said:

Steve

I asked Hattons' Dave this when the model was first released and he said no.

There's no harm in others pestering now it's been out for a while - maybe they'll sell you the non-runners for half price rather than throw them in a skip?...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, High Level Kits said:

Good (but no rush) - the Hattons  '16 inch' is basically (and wrongly) a 14 inch with oversize cylinders and some additional footplate* - you may find that there is some market from OO modellers (though mine will be EM) as the Hattons gearing is a bit on the Smokey Joe/dragster end of the spectrum and yes, it will run well, slowly, and yes, I know about DCC, but...

Adam

* It should be about 10 percent bigger all round...

• Like 1

I'd be interested in a chassis kit for OO. The attraction to me is that there would be space freed up in the body and also between the frame plates for the fitting of DCC sound equipment, not to mention that it'll have the sort of gearing that High Level locos are known for.

What's the situation with wheels? AFAIK the only Barclay wheel that Alan Gibson produces is 3ft. 8in, where these are something like 3ft. 5in.

My arm could be twisted for one in 00 gauge, definitely.

The crossheads would need to be included though as the ones on the Hattons model look nothing like the typical slender Barclay pattern ones. 

Paul A. 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ruston said:

I'd be interested in a chassis kit for OO. The attraction to me is that there would be space freed up in the body and also between the frame plates for the fitting of DCC sound equipment, not to mention that it'll have the sort of gearing that High Level locos are known for.

What's the situation with wheels? AFAIK the only Barclay wheel that Alan Gibson produces is 3ft. 8in, where these are something like 3ft. 5in.

Markits do a smaller Barclay wheel (for the BR 01), 3'3" 7 spoke. As far as I know this and the Gibson one are the only Barclay wheel centres of this sort of size - small variations in diameter would be in the tyres.

• Informative/Useful 2

23 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Markits do a smaller Barclay wheel (for the BR 01), 3'3" 7 spoke. As far as I know this and the Gibson one are the only Barclay wheel centres of this sort of size - small variations in diameter would be in the tyres.

Markits have now put the old catalogue back up.

http://www.markits.com/

There are a few Barclay wheels listed.

3'2" 10 spoke

3'3" 7 and 10 spoke

3'6" 10 and 13 spoke

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1