High Level Kits

High Level Kits

Chris

This is at the top of the gearbox instructions...

These instructions cover the basic gearbox assembly sequence. For additional information, hints and tips you can refer to our Guidance Section (see brackets). Note: If this is your first High Level Gearbox we recommend you read all notes thoroughly.

I assume the guidance section contains additional notes for the gearbox assembly. I can't see this on the new website anywhere. Have I missed it, or has it not been uploaded yet?

Pete

5 hours ago, Brassey said:

According to a message on Facebook, this is cancelled 

Well, it that's right then Braynerts Sidings will be spending another few months in the loft!

3 hours ago, swampy said:

Chris

I assume the guidance section contains additional notes for the gearbox assembly. I can't see this on the new website anywhere. Have I missed it, or has it not been uploaded yet?

Pete

Apart from using a fret saw to cut the 2mm steel rod, what’s wrong with the instructions. You appear to be able to secure the lay shaft with epoxy, cyAno or the blue stuff.  What more is needed, there are no further words of wisdom needed to make these.

11 hours ago, High Level Kits said:

I can imagine the lack of gearboxes and hornblocks is holding other projects up and I do greatly appreciate your understanding. Moving the tooling to another moulding firm is now in progress and the toolmakers are trying to get some test shots done so they can assess the operation of the tool to see if modifications are need. Hopefully, they won’t be, which would save some time. In any event, as soon as I have the gears I’ll be back up and running.

Thanks for the update Chris, appreciate that it's been a difficult time. I'm sure i'm not the only one chomping at the bit for some HL goodies, you will probably see a surge of orders come through when you re-open!

• Agree 3

17 hours ago, swampy said:

Chris

Pete

Well noted swampy. It refers to the Hints and tips which I've not yet uploaded. I may even tag them onto the end of the individual instructions. Glad you mentioned it.

The idea of having them separate is a sort of 'read what you need' approach - you're not overloaded on the basic instructions and only need to read the sections you don't already understand but if you are a total beginner then the info's there...

I've attached the file to this message.

Gearbox Hints and Tips.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

I am currently putting pickups on an MJT 34mm wheelbase bogie ready to go under my Swindon 120 DMBC, the other end of the floor is cut away ready for the one different bogie.

It helps to do DMUs in pairs that way I do not waste an MJT bogie. The partner is under the cab end of my Gloucester 119 DMBC.

• RMweb Premium

Thankyou for the tips, I have struggled with gearboxes and stayed with old fashioned motor mounts as a result. Your text has helped me to understand where things went wrong and why. Now to build a gearbox using the tips you have done. 

• RMweb Premium
On 30/04/2021 at 13:56, High Level Kits said:

I am sorry as I know the lack of gearboxes may be holding your own projects up, and I will update you as soon as I can give you some reliable information. I'm going to have another go at the moulders next week...

Hi Chris,

No need to aplogise, I'm sure you are doing your best to resolve the issues that are holding things up. It's just that we all miss you and your motors and gearboxes (and whatever else)!

Looking forward to your return and those wonderful coreless motors. The gearboxes are just great too. Maybe make an announcement on here when you are back?

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hi Chris,

Glad to see that you are staying safe.

Any word on the replacement chassis for the Hatton's Barclay or are you still having computer/ drawings  issues? 

Cheers,

David

Edited by davknigh
Correction
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, davknigh said:

Hi Chris,

Glad to see that you are staying safe.

Any word on the replacement chassis for the Hatton's Barclay or are you still having computer/ drawings  issues? 

Cheers,

David

Thanks David, hope you're well.

I made a start on the Barclay when the lockdown started last year but then got sidetracked. It was looking quite complicated. I'll get back onto it, but not sure when...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, High Level Kits said:

Thanks David, hope you're well.

I made a start on the Barclay when the lockdown started last year but then got sidetracked. It was looking quite complicated. I'll get back onto it, but not sure when...

Thanks Chris,

Second Covid shot tomorrow so things are looking up. 

No rush, I have other projects ongoing but I’m still very interested.

Cheers,

David

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My 120 is comng along well, and will need a similar setup to my 119, but for the IC set I will probably get two of the new design ones.

1 minute ago, hayfield said:

Thanks Chris for the update, look forward to spending a few £'s with you

That's the spirit...

In the meantime, a bit of market research - the more replies the merrier...

The LoRider has been a good, steady seller over the years, but now that our supplies of Mashima 1420s have almost dried up, is there a need for a replacement, especially in view of massive improvements to RTR performance since the unit was introduced back in the early 90s?

If you envisage having a use for an 8ft 6ins motor bogie, what would you be motorising ?... 

If yes, would you prefer a simple rigid unit or be happy to do the extra work involved in building a compensated unit?

I’m not sure that I actually *need* one of these but if I did for sure I would want the compensated version. From my experience with the HighLevel drive unit in the Judith Edge Ruston 48DS they work brilliantly well both in terms of pickup and traction. When a 65 g engine can pull six wagons of mixed ancestry it has to have all wheels doing their share of the work.

Cheers,

David

Good to see you're still plugging on, Chris.

For my part I've been flying under the radar, getting my gaff sold and finding a new one, whilst circumnavigating all the other brown stuff of the last few years!

I should be moving in a few weeks now so not long till I start badgering you for those Barclay etches I kept banging on about! :P

All the best, mate.

Davy 

So pleased to find you here Chris. I posted on NGRM snd was signposted here, I don’t often visit. 
I for one will be swamping you for gearboxes ASAP , so hope the new source is going to work out. I also hope that you have lots of those lovely newish coreless motors, I shall be wanting half a dozen motors and gearboxes., with six projects stalled!! 
With the website still on hold, I can see that I will be one of many keeping watch on your progress. I hope as all goes well and you can ship out to our most unpronounceable Welsh address before long. Can I get onto your backlog list somehow? 
paul