High Level Kits

High Level Kits

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, davknigh said:

I’m not sure that I actually *need* one of these but if I did for sure I would want the compensated version. From my experience with the HighLevel drive unit in the Judith Edge Ruston 48DS they work brilliantly well both in terms of pickup and traction. When a 65 g engine can pull six wagons of mixed ancestry it has to have all wheels doing their share of the work.

Cheers,

David

I think a range of motor bogies based on the Quadriver principle would sell well, the compensation system we use in our kits is very easy to build and easily adaptable to any wheelbase. The key to its simplicity is that the drive to the second axle is well off centre and allows for a knife edge rocker, there's enough flexibility in the drive system to allow enough movement - most compensation systems allow far too much.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I would like alternate motor bogies. I  not into the replace the rtr model yearly thing.

There is the Replica chassis when available.

Anyway my current need is 3 x 8ft6in motor bogies

9 hours ago, High Level Kits said:

That's the spirit...

In the meantime, a bit of market research - the more replies the merrier...

The LoRider has been a good, steady seller over the years, but now that our supplies of Mashima 1420s have almost dried up, is there a need for a replacement, especially in view of massive improvements to RTR performance since the unit was introduced back in the early 90s?

If you envisage having a use for an 8ft 6ins motor bogie, what would you be motorising ?... 

If yes, would you prefer a simple rigid unit or be happy to do the extra work involved in building a compensated unit?

I've got quite a few kit built EMUs in the pile (and my wishlist) that could do with 8'6" motor bogies (not to mention 8'9" and 9').

In the past I'd have used Black Beetles for this job, as these were quick and easy to fit, so I'd definitely be interested in some simple to assemble motor bogies. Compensation would be good if it didn't add much effort. 

After the demise of the BullAnt, there's a need for a motor bogie with some serious grunt.   I have a NuCast Sentinel Railcar in my kit pile and I know the kit has been released again.   The recommended Spud isn't anywhere near man enough and the one I built with a Black Beetle was very disappointing and barely drags itself along.  On the other hand, my own with a BullAnt in it will pull several coaches.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, High Level Kits said:

That's the spirit...

In the meantime, a bit of market research - the more replies the merrier...

The LoRider has been a good, steady seller over the years, but now that our supplies of Mashima 1420s have almost dried up, is there a need for a replacement, especially in view of massive improvements to RTR performance since the unit was introduced back in the early 90s?

If you envisage having a use for an 8ft 6ins motor bogie, what would you be motorising ?... 

If yes, would you prefer a simple rigid unit or be happy to do the extra work involved in building a compensated unit?

8ft 6ins and 8ft 9ins - compensated, please!

• RMweb Premium

A gruntier motor would be nice as well as I am not sure of longevity hauling 3 cars around.

Considering dual motoring, if it cooks.

Thanks for all the valuable information about your preferences and uses for the bogies. Keep them coming as it all helps to build a picture of what’s needed…

Mark, we’ve started an high level kits Instagram, is it okay to stick your photos on there? Fowler kis, especially built ones, are rare. You’ve done a smashing job on it. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, High Level Kits said:

Thanks for all the valuable information about your preferences and uses for the bogies. Keep them coming as it all helps to build a picture of what’s needed…

Mark, we’ve started an high level kits Instagram, is it okay to stick your photos on there? Fowler kis, especially built ones, are rare. You’ve done a smashing job on it. 

Yes, 8'6" please (sprung, preferably) - and some other wheelbases would be nice too, for example to suit some of the bogie locos in the Judith Edge range.  

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, High Level Kits said:

Thanks Chris. Yes feel free to use the pictures as you like.

• RMweb Premium

I’d like a kit that would allow me to change the Bachmann first generation DMU Derby/101/105/108 power bogies, and get rid of the huge weight that encroaches into the passenger compartment. 

If you need an example of each to research I can help out.

• Agree 3

12 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Yes, 8'6" please (sprung, preferably) - and some other wheelbases would be nice too, for example to suit some of the bogie locos in the Judith Edge range.  

Mike usually request a custom-designed bogie for his range if he thinks there's a need. These are tailor-made and often the drivetrain is tucked up to prevent it being visible.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, High Level Kits said:

Mike usually request a custom-designed bogie for his range if he thinks there's a need. These are tailor-made and often the drivetrain is tucked up to prevent it being visible.

We have requested custom designed drive units for three of our kits, in the case of the Rustons it was more a matter of getting drive to both axles of a chain drive loco, for the LSW Bo-Bo electric it was a matter of finding some way of driving it at all. A similar solution might be required if we ever get round to Harton No.9 but I still think a more general motor bogie design is possible using our compensation system. All it would require is an inside frame with swinging arms for one axle to rock under a knife edge, the exact wheelbase is just a matter of arranging the intermediate gears. Incidentally the wheelbase of all the Quadrivers is adjustable to a small extent by angling the motor and first stage drive.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

... just a matter of arranging the intermediate gears... 

It's quite a big "just", though, Mike. I don't like the idea of having to precision plot holes (for the intermediate gear cross shafts) in bits of brass. I'd rather have the holes precision etched - whether done by yourself or by Chris. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

No, Chris does that bit in the drive units, our etch just locates the axles.

But there's still nothing available from Chris for, say, your NER bo-bos, is there?