High Level Kits

High Level Kits

Quick question.

I have a High level drive stretcher to assemble. It comes with a 2mm ID brass top hat bush (in addition to the parallel 2mm bush/space) - should I be reaming out the idler gear ot take this bush or is it superfluous?  Circled in red with question mark. Or does it act as a spacer for the idler ?

957125499_HighLevelDriveStretcher.PNG.177a3b55f23c060b8254c5cd83d55f39.PNG

Thanks in advance

J

Edited by Down_Under
Spelling

In my experience of HL products these two will be spacers for the idler (and normally reduction gear, too) . I have not built the drivestretcher but there should be no reduction across it. In order to understand the use of the spacers and the orientation I would assemble the feeder gearbox first and build forward from this, adding each gear in sequence. From this you should be able to tell where and if the spacers are applicable. Certainly do not ream out or otherwise tamper with the gears provided - they should move freely on the 2mm steel rod. 

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Thanks 1

That spacer is used to take up the gap if the D2 Stretcher is used with the LoadHauler Compact Plus as this box is wider than the RoadRunner Compact plus. If you have the latter, you shouldn't need it.

This diagram should clarify things. If you need a copy send me a mail...

spacer.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

Thank you all for the replies. I'm not sure what I've done with the instruction for that particular part.

I was going to use it to replace the short final carriage as supplied with a Load hauler compact+. So judging by that image it might not actually be required.

Thanks for the image Chris - I've sent a email (along with an order for some other parts)

Thankyou from Australia everyone.

J

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/11/2018 at 10:07, High Level Kits said:

Incidentally, we have a good stock of motors at present.

Chris,

It's about the right time of year for me to make up an order for collection at EM-North -- including motors -- but ideally I'd need access to the website. If not, could you email me a copy of your current price list?

Thanks,

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, davelester said:

Chris,

It's about the right time of year for me to make up an order for collection at EM-North -- including motors -- but ideally I'd need access to the website. If not, could you email me a copy of your current price list?

Thanks,

You're on RMWeb, so there should be no problem accessing the website:

http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/

:huh:

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Rhb Simon said:

I dont suppose you've every thought of doing the Stephen Lewin engine from Seaham harbour have you? A quirky loco local to you.

Yes! yes! the little old Lewin would be top of many people's lists (including mine) and who better to conjure  one up than the Wizard of Wearside?

Steve

Since we’re here asking questions, any update on the replacement frames for the Hatton’s Barclay?

Cheers,

David

Edited by davknigh
Edited to correct silly mistake, I typed Neilson but meant Barclay. Right country, wrong company.

13 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Another vote for the Lewin here - and (if we're staying local) the Doxford tanks! 

There is (was) a kit for the Doxford crane loco, I think it was Backwoods Miniatures, but I believe they are not currently trading, there was talk of the range being passed on but I have no other knowledge on that.

Steve

5 hours ago, steve howe said:

There is (was) a kit for the Doxford crane loco, I think it was Backwoods Miniatures, but I believe they are not currently trading, there was talk of the range being passed on but I have no other knowledge on that.

Steve

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Backwoods Miniatures crane tank kit was scaled at 3.5mm:1ft (HO) rather than 4mm:1ft.

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, 2mm Andy said:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Backwoods Miniatures crane tank kit was scaled at 3.5mm:1ft (HO) rather than 4mm:1ft.

Andy

Yes, the RM drawing was scaled at 3.5mm (I can't remember whether or not the RM clearly indicated that at the time) and Backwoods copied it. So even if the range is passed on, the Doxford is a dud. Also, according to the previous owner, it had bespoke gears which were "impossible" to get hold of. 

I have considered doing the Lewin and did some preliminary work to confirm that a motor and rive train could be fitted. I may return to it but need to sort out that I'm doing this year.

The full-on kits are selling in smaller numbers these days so I have to think carefully before committing to the amount of work involved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/01/2020 at 16:03, Daddyman said:

Yes, the RM drawing was scaled at 3.5mm (I can't remember whether or not the RM clearly indicated that at the time) and Backwoods copied it. So even if the range is passed on, the Doxford is a dud. Also, according to the previous owner, it had bespoke gears which were "impossible" to get hold of. 

One of these going for over £217 on eBay just now.  I wonder if they realise it’s scaled at 3.5mm

On 01/03/2020 at 16:05, Daddyman said:

Yes, I was watching in horror... 

Indeed - but happy days for the seller...however I do wonder if there might yet be a sting in the tale, as it were, because the listing clearly states 4mm scale...