High Level Kits

High Level Kits

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone had any contact with High Level recently? I know they have been closed, but the rest of the country is now opening up and I wonder why High Level can't now reopen? I have emailed them a couple of times but have had no reply.

I have an order outstanding with them and it would be good to know when they might be shipping again.

1 minute ago, Daddyman said:

The national furlough scheme, yes. But has Chris said anything to you to indicate he'll be on furlough that long? 

I am assuming this is his own business and if you had the opportunity for the Govt to pay you to stay off work would you willingly go back early of your own accord?  I have been wondering whether he would attend any exhibitions in September or leave it to the very end.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Brassey said:

I am assuming this is his own business and if you had the opportunity for the Govt to pay you to stay off work would you willingly go back early of your own accord?  I have been wondering whether he would attend any exhibitions in September or leave it to the very end.

Based on what evidence? If this is just an assumption then it's not doing Chris any good (and is slightly insulting, suggesting he'd want to live on government handouts), and not helpful to customers either. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

32 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Based on what evidence? If this is just an assumption then it's not doing Chris any good (and is slightly insulting, suggesting he'd want to live on government handouts), and not helpful to customers either. 

Based on the post of 3 March. A business decides whether it wants to furlough its employees not the Government and this decision was thus taken by the business. Furlough has been a lifeline for many during this pandemic. I work in hospitality and I agree that being shut is not helpful to customers. 

• RMweb Premium

I thought the furlough scheme was one you could use, or not, as needed, with no fixed time period. Exit individual employees upwards as/when required. I also understood HL had run out of parts and needed to spend some time building up stocks as they could be obtained, suppliers also perhaps being furloughed, to be able to reopen and supply all the demand.

Want 3 Roadrunner+ at present myself so I would hazard a guess HL may be quite busy when the restart happens......

• Agree 6

2 hours ago, Daddyman said:

I am certain if Chris could trade he would, sadly many like him are struggling to obtain parts from suppliers. I doubt if furlough is anywhere near as rewarding as trading. I think Chris stated he is using this time to both update his website and several products.

Agreed it would be nice to know when he plans to reopen, but he may well be hostage to when his suppliers can supply his outstanding orders. An update would be helpful but the situation is what it is

• Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Brassey said:

I agree that being shut is not helpful to customers. 

Whoah! I didn't say that. What I said was that idle speculation on a September reopening was not helpful to customers. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Has anyone had any contact with High Level recently? I know they have been closed, but the rest of the country is now opening up and I wonder why High Level can't now reopen? I have emailed them a couple of times but have had no reply.

I have an order outstanding with them and it would be good to know when they might be shipping again.

Chris did say in his post of 9th March that he was having problems with emails not getting through so that might explain why you haven't had a reply.

Andy

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, hayfield said:

I think Chris stated he is using this time to both update his website and several products.

I thought that furlough meant you couldn't work. In general terms, if a company furloughs its staff, then it's staff shouldn't be working on new products or developing a website....

4 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

I thought that furlough meant you couldn't work. In general terms, if a company furloughs its staff, then it's staff shouldn't be working on new products or developing a website....

I may have got the new products part wrong, and the website is probably a third party, my niece is something to do with making company websites and she has never been so busy 

I haven't been following this topic, but surely Chris is an assembler of parts - etchings, turnings, gears and so forth - and not the manufacturer. In his case is it not the possible that component supplies is the root of the problem that prevents him from currently trading.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

15 hours ago, ikcdab said:

I don't think he's staff though....

I think there is a misunderstanding of what furlough is.

Furlough is so that you can still get some wages whilst not working your full hours. It was a way that people could get paid without everyone suddenly being unemployed. They aren't stopping you from doing parts of your job if that would harm the viability of the job. Just not working forty hours in Tesco and still claiming.

It's virtually paid leave. But you don't get the full amount and if you normally rely on things like overtime to make up your wages then you are stuck as you just get the basic rate and the hours in your contract.

I first heard the term in a film a few years ago where soldiers are due to leave for the front and the war ends, so they are put on furlough and spend the time causing mischief. But they are still soldiers so can't just down tools and go home, as that would be desertion.

I'm currently furloughed. But I'm still expected to carry out certain duties such as picking up mail, answering emails and checking up that the shop is still there. But we aren't opening yet as social distancing would be virtually impossible due to the layout of the shop.

Jason

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, 5050 said:

Any news?  Getting to need some 'stuff' to finish projects - as I guess a lot of people are. 

Hope you're OK Chris.

Chris’s return to the fray is dependent on a number of other suppliers and contractors who in turn will be dependent on others so I suspect it’s far from a quick, easy return.  But with that in mind, we can be safe in the knowledge that Chris will be back as soon as he can do it safely.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks for such a prompt response Chris.  Hope it all works out OK.  Will you be at Expo EM North in September?  I'm presuming it is still on but I haven't heard from anyone for a while.

• RMweb Premium

As soon as you open you are going to be inundated.

I already need a Low Rider, plus a loco motor and gearbox for a converted from tender to loco drive steam loco.

And then another matched pair of Low Riders.

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, High Level Kits said:

Martin,

I do have some LoRiders, but I'm considering replacing the design in the near future, simply due to the fact that the 1420s it's designed to take are running low. 

No need to panic though,

Chris.

I will need a 1420 for my Swindon 120 as it will work similar services to my Gloucester 119, but the next ones are in side form only. So not urgent but will want a matching pair.

Please reserve me a bogie and motor for when you reopen.

Found out the original Swindon Inter City sets are same profile and windows as the 120 so I am building an early 6 car WR set.

I did work out what I needed for my 2P but forgot the gearing! That will get the biggest motor I can squash in.

The J50 is now pretty much done.

Anyone can view the instructions (or any others) on the downloads page of the new site highlevelkits.co.uk

...or you never know your luck, this link might take you straight there:

27e471_f9a5b66c35de4dba8e9ae48aa1cb69cd.pdf (filesusr.com)

Note that the J50 instructions cover part 2, 3 and 4 locos, but if you come to build one you only need to concentrate on that particular variant.

Edited by High Level Kits
add link
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1