High Level Kits

High Level Kits

On 24/08/2021 at 05:13, Jack P said:

Tom, 

Could you use a drivestretcher attached to a slimliner, or highflier to project backwards off the last axle and then go up and have the motor point forward into the boiler?

I had to do something similar with a 4-4-0 to avoid the motor sticking into the cab, or being seen under the front of the boiler.

51292852933_89e9c72b88_h.jpg

Lots options out there, but it does depend on how much space you've got to work with.

Jack

Hi Jack,

Is this one of Chris’ new core less motors you have used? 

J

14 hours ago, Down_Under said:

Hi Jack,

Is this one of Chris’ new core less motors you have used? 

J

Hey Mate,

It's not - but I have used one of his new coreless motors here:

51195644215_32f44ecb1d_h.jpg

It's really excellent.

The larger motor above is a 1330 from NZ Finescale.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’m sorry I haven’t been able to keep up with my own thread due to work, but have just noticed this discussion which suggests there might be a need for a ‘lanky’ gearbox, something with a bit more height to it. Have a look at the HiFlierPLUS, which was designed to elevate the motor. In the past, the LoadHaulerPLUS was used, in things like 9F’s but the ratios, especially when matched to a big motor, are too slow.

As always, I would encourage anyone trying to work out the best solution to use our planner in conjugation with scale drawings.

• Like 2

On 19/07/2021 at 09:26, High Level Kits said:

This isn't something we anticipated. Perhaps if you know the loco wheelbase and look at the shape of the kit for which they were originally designed, this might give you a good idea of feasibility. I've just updated this section of the site although I still have some work to do with prices etc...

Remember though, they're all really slow, so may be no good for a normal DMU etc. Sorry I can't be more help here...

Regarding quad drives for MUs and such...

You're right, i overlooked that, for these, a ratio somewhere between 15:1 to maybe 40:1 is really all i would want. Your worm drives are so efficient, with those coreless motors there is enough power and slow speed controllability, that they can be run at very low voltages most of the time, making for really quiet smooth drives.

Oh, and thanks for that ultra quick turnaround. 8 days between order and package-pulled-out-of-the-mailbox is stunning.

(I'm in the US).

C,-w

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on our the stock situation.

Some gearboxes on our site are currently showing ‘Out of Stock’. This is due to a shortage of one single component which is currently in production. This particular part goes in four of the boxes, and they are the most popular sellers… which is why we ran out of them!...

We knew these boxes (RR+; RRC+; HiFlier; HiFlier+) were the most popular, but didn’t realise it was by such a margin!

Just though it worth mentioning in case anyone thought things were on the slide and there were more serous problems. We’re now starting to get to grips with the site's software and will try to keep all items in stock, or as many as possible.

We’re also stocking up the parts for the first batch of production J50s, re-tooling the BEL2 to take a different motor, and working on a new design of 8’ 6’’ motor bogie.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MJI said:

After I bought 3 old ones

They're a while off yet Martin. The reason for the redesiegn is purely due to motor change.

19 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I think you've mentioned before, but are boxes still available to take Mashima motors instead of the newer coreless?

Ta :)

Yes, we spec'ed the new motors with the same screw centres as the Mashimas so they fit the existing boxes.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, High Level Kits said:

They're a while off yet Martin. The reason for the redesiegn is purely due to motor change.

Yes, we spec'ed the new motors with the same screw centres as the Mashimas so they fit the existing boxes.

The first one I bought is fitted to a GRCW 119 DMU.

My Swindon 120 can move under its own power one way, DMBC pushing, still have to fit buffers.

Hope to blue and grey it next week.

For other people I have 4 of them, 2 built with express gearing working 3 cars, I would not put more than 3 cars per motor bogie, the under construction WR Swindon Inter City (pre 126) is 6 car so getting 2 motor bogies. Will be cab ends of the IDMBTLs.

Originally I was hoping to wait for the new ones as 3 at once is a bit painful on the debit card!

They do like off vehicle running in.

I still need to order a motor and gearbox for my 2P!

However now I can produce Swindon pattern sides I am tempted by a 123 IC set.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, 5050 said:

Ordered 2 gearboxes and motors last Thursday, dropped through letterbox Saturday morning.  Great service, thank you Chris.

Thank you Mr 50... if we have the bits we try to turn the orders around pretty sharpish. There's a few problems with some parts, but nothing that's going to effect us long-term.

Chris

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another very satisfied customer. Ordered a gear box that arrived very swiftly. Then I managed to crush one of the axle bushes trying to get too snug a fit. I emailed High Level and a replacement (plus spare, they know me too well) arrived the next day FOC. Thank you for outstanding service. 

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

I had a very similar experience, placed an order and it arrived within a week and we were suffering postal delays in our area

Just to show how good these units are, some tome ago I bought a Road Runner + and a 1420  in a lot of mixed items, despite looking very battered the gearbox worked well. Rather than use a new RR+ that I bought I thought I would use this one as it would be quicker. All I needed to do was to switch the final drive carriage through 180 degrees. Well the previous builder had done a right bodged job, both sides were bent badly and one side half hanging off. Still straightened and soldered up and it works really well. It just shows how well they have been designed. Well done Chris

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I have some 12mm coreless motors where the distance between the motor fixing screws is slightly less than those on the etch.  Is it OK to make the slots slightly larger to accept them ? Its only a few thou as they fit another gearbox (which is unsuitable for the job) The screws go through the enlarged holes in the fret (these allow the screws to be fitted to the motor prior to fitting) so the issue is very slight

• RMweb Premium

I don't think that there should be a problem, but if you do get one, fill the holes with solder and redrill at the new spacings, start with a somewhat smaller drill and work up, as the solder will be softer than the nickel silver and cause the drill to wander.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...