High Level Kits

High Level Kits

Errm.....it's interesting. Three-way split: smokebox and saddle; boiler/ tanks, cab and bunker; footplate/buffer beams and steps.

That's all good as being able to take it apart means its easier to fettle and super-detail. On the GWR stuff I put a firebox front in and, on the RTR models, this is usually too far forward to accomodate their mechs. Getting the footplate off will make it easier to cut the excess material away. My biggest worry is dodgy wheelbase!...

I've just got my hands on a bodyshell and initial impressions are encouraging. The front and mid splashers seem to be the correct distance apart (rear wheels have no splashers) and splasher sizes are almost to scale. Overall quality of mouldings looks very crisp, which I wasn't expecting based what I'v seen of the original chassis.

With the footplate off, I can't help but notice how similar it looks to a 1500 class, but I think the work needed to make such a conversion puts it just the wrong side of the line, at least, for most people.

...... I can't help but notice how similar it looks to a 1500 class, but I think the work needed to make such a conversion puts it just the wrong side of the line, at least, for most people.

The 94s and the 15s did share the same no.10 boiler as the 2251.

A conversion may be possible - Jim Smith-Wright has started one, and so have I, but we are using different methods. We have both shortened the tanks, but that is the only common ground. Jim has grafted the cab of the old Hornby Pannier onto his, whereas I have kept the Lima cab, because I believe its roof arc to be closer to the 15xx than the Hornby moulding, but I have shortened its length as well as the depth of the bunker.

If a modern 15xx chassis could be produced (and especially by you!!), that would take a lot of the pain out of the equation and would leave the builder free to use his/her own methods to convert the body.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

B

With the footplate off, I can't help but notice how similar it looks to a 1500 class, but I think the work needed to make such a conversion puts it just the wrong side of the line, at least, for most people.

Hmm, a full15xx kit would be nice...

• Like 1

Is there any evidence that a 94XX is a tank version of a 22XX Collet Goods?

There are plenty of references: the Russell book of drawings is just the start. See also Irwell Press's "Pannier Papers" relating to the 94xx. Then there's GWRJ no.69 and 70, I think.

Common to both classes was the Standard no.10 boiler and the cylinder block.

Edited by Horsetan

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's now over a month ago that there was an update on 64xx chassis, is there a forecast for it's release date yet? or is Dave Franks still doing the test build.

No pressure, yesterday is fine.

Edit for a senior moment.

Edited by Siberian Snooper

No pressure indeed, the 64xx is happily whirring away on the rollers as I type, the new style gearbox is getting a good workout and the display model will be handed over to Chris this weekend at the NE Blyth show as arranged. I must admit it is very nice, smooth and slow running. I'll post pictures when I've put the final parts on, these being the alternative balance weights.

I'm sure Chris will be along soon to update the timescale for release of the kit.

Hope that calms your worries SS.....

Dave Franks

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No pressure indeed, the 64xx is happily whirring away on the rollers as I type, the new style gearbox is getting a good workout and the display model will be handed over to Chris this weekend at the NE Blyth show as arranged. I must admit it is very nice, smooth and slow running. I'll post pictures when I've put the final parts on, these being the alternative balance weights.

I'm sure Chris will be along soon to update the timescale for release of the kit.

Hope that calms your worries SS.....

Dave Franks

Sorry Dave I had a senior moment and I was partly right, the post is duly amended and thanks very much for the update. It looks as though it will be the new year now before I can start my 2021.

SS

No pressure indeed, the 64xx is happily whirring away on the rollers as I type, the new style gearbox is getting a good workout and the display model will be handed over to Chris this weekend at the NE Blyth show as arranged.

Would that happen to be this coming weekends NE Blyth show that doesn't happen to be in Blyth but is taking place a few miles to the South East between West Moor & Benton?

P

Donning hat and sprinting for the nearby disused nuclear bunker that happens to be in near bye Kenton!

So Porcy, would you be promoting another show in the Nor East like.

If they give me and the team the contract.

I do like the sound (or lack of) of this new style gearbox.

Notice the quick sidestep there to get back on topic (track) with two puns thrown in at once and a little bit of subliminal marketing for which there will be no charge to Mr Chris.

P

It won't take long to implement any changes resulting from the 3rd party build (Dave) but, realistically, my etchers won't deliver anything this side of Xmas, and Xmas itself is always a problem. My lost waxer's not answering his phone (not uncommon) but he's in Carlisle so maybe has good reasons. There should be plenty of time to catch up with him and get the castings (sandboxes and brake journals) for some time in the New Year, so say, mid to late Jan for delivery.

In the meantime, I'm cracking on with a 94xx based around the Lima model and that seems to be going nicely up to now.

So, as stated above, next and final show of the year is Railex North East...

• Like 1

I do like the sound (or lack of) of this new style gearbox.

Notice the quick sidestep there to get back on topic (track) with two puns thrown in at once and a little bit of subliminal marketing for which there will be no charge to Mr Chris.

P

Well, he does let you post on HIS thread....

Dave Franks

Well, he does let you post on HIS thread....

... but he gets twisty about it.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85210-high-level-kits/page-4&do=findComment&comment=2060759

and than has the audacity to go way off topic and ask for bridge pics.

Anywez, likely I'll see you some time at the weekend. Hope Mr Twist has plenty of stock and motors to satisfy demand and as the sun is shining brightly on his his house as I type this: I trust he is smiling and doing some research into Pecket chassis.

P

• RMweb Premium

In the meantime, I'm cracking on with a 94xx based around the Lima model and that seems to be going nicely up to now..

Don't forget Bachmann have announced a 94xx; I'm sure that will provide some custom for you as well?

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96640-Bachmann-branchline-announcements-for-20156/?p=1802013