BRM June 2014 Issue

The June issue of BRM will be on-sale as a Digital Edition on Friday (May 2nd) and in shops from next Thursday, (May 8th). Here’s what you can expect from this issue…

3 stunning layouts

·      Fence Houses (2mm FS)

Bob Jones shows the benefits of modelling in 2mm scale on this superb layout set in the North East of England.

·         New Bryford (OO)
Mick Bryan brings his 25-year-old OO gauge layout bang up-to-date with the help of Spike Taylor.

·         Fen Drove (O)
John Hobden’s O gauge Midland & Great Northern outpost in the flatlands of Lincolnshire.

Practical BRM
·         Sprat & Winkle Couplers: Phil Parker’s step-by-step guide to adding these discreet couplings to your stock.

·         Better painting: Nigel Burkin offers ten top tips for achieving a high quality paint finish on your model.

·         Model a market stall: Richard Wilson shows how easy it is to create a market stall display for your layout.

·         Layout planning: Paul A Lunn provides four very different ways to model the Windermere branch.

News and Reviews
·         Reviewed: Graham Farish Class 55 ‘Deltic’ (N)
·         Reviewed: Hornby L1 (OO)
·         Reviewed: Bachmann Metalair PCA cement tanker and LNER fish van (OO)
·         Tried & Tested: Micromill
·         Tried & Tested: Redutex textured sheets & Poppy’s Woodtech laser-cut wooden fencing

Plus…
·         Q&A
·         Reader’s Layouts
·         Reader’s Letters
·         Prototype Inspiration: Blue Circle Cement Tanks
·         Prototype Inspiration: Short freight trips hauled Class 08/09 Shunters
·         Diary Dates

Remember, you can subscribe to the Digital Edition for just £26.99 for 12 issues, that’s just £2.25 per issue! Or, download a single issue for just £2.99. For more information, go to www.pocketmags.com/BRM or tablet users should download the British Railway Modelling app.

post-22012-0-31173600-1398766197_thumb.jpg

Guest bri.s

Looks a good issue , will have a good read of the fence houses and redutex articles , I've really liked the look of the redutex stuff .

Brian

• Administrators

There are a few articles this month I am really looking forward to reading

Is it Friday yet ?

Don't worry. The Digital Edition will be live very, very shortly.

Apparently in the shops tomorrow but no sign of my subscriber copy! Not good!

I suspect that the bank holiday may have played a part, mine normally arrives on a Wednesday but didn't this time around.

I received my subscriber copy to today and was less than impressed with the full page letter picking holes in my Glen Roy article.

I may have a few things wrong but so does almost every layout on the Exhibition Circuit and published in magazines.

Just waiting to see her layout published in BRM.

VERY disgruntled of swad.

I received my subscriber copy to today and was less than impressed with the full page letter picking holes in my Glen Roy article.

I may have a few things wrong but so does almost every layout on the Exhibition Circuit and published in magazines.

I didn't read this letter first time I read through the mag but have done just now

I am even more convinced now that a freelance railway layout will suit me best :-)

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, I hope she doesn't spot the Lotus Elan parked up on Summat Colliery ;)

• RMweb Premium

Oh b*gg*r - I hope no-one spots the London Transport bus stop signs on New Bryford.

Expect a two-page letter next month.

Cheers,

Mick

Oh b*gg*r - I hope no-one spots the London Transport bus stop signs on New Bryford.

Expect a two-page letter next month.

Cheers,

Mick

You naughty naughty boy, go to the back of the Class. You must NEVER NEVER show this layout again,

Actually just about to have a read through Mick, the pics look amazing.

All the best

I see very few layouts which are perfect in every single respect; there may be valid points on paintwork colours (I wouldn't know what's wrong or right without consulting references) but if I were building a Highland layout I wouldn't even think to look for a photo of a policeman to check if he's suitably attired! Anyway; at least the bus wasn't a Routemaster. ;)

Guest eddie reffin

Maybe the copper was a strip-o-gram waiting on a hen party off the train to give them a run in his heritage bus

I see very few layouts which are perfect in every single respect; there may be valid points on paintwork colours (I wouldn't know what's wrong or right without consulting references) but if I were building a Highland layout I wouldn't even think to look for a photo of a policeman to check if he's suitably attired! Anyway; at least the bus wasn't a Routemaster. ;)

Highland Omnibuses used ex LT double deckers at Thurso for several years, so I'd be OK on my layout... :senile:

• RMweb Premium

Fence Houses and New Bryford - wow!  Great pics and interesting write-ups...

Sad about the letter mentioned above; maybe Editors should forward any such missives on to the layout owner for comment/reaction first before publishing so prominently...

Makes me kinda glad my layout won't ever make the pages of a magazine!!

David

Is there anyway of finding out when a subscription runs out ?

Recieved last months nothing included re renewing in bag, believed last one is this months but nothing recieved so far. Recieved first copy of a years subscription last May as a birthday present.

Just picked up the new issue today. Very impressed with it & the last issue also. Really like the article on planning Windermere. Would like to see more of the same. Planing is almost a hobby in itself! Good to see diversity in the scales & models covered. Also really enjoyed Trebudoc & the Burton on Trent brewery. Got me thinking about 7mm. Keep it up. I may even have to subscribe if there arn't months when theres nothing that takes my fancy. Lol. BRM seems to be on the up for me at any rate.  :declare:

I think the writer is fully justified in her comments and IMHO you have failed on several more accounts.

1. The back scene colour of sky blue. When I last visited the Highlands the sky was never this colour, it was nearly always midge black (available from local stockists).

2. You have made no attempt to feature hot axle boxes by leaving any brake handles on.

3. I never saw telegraph poles with that many insulators on them, in fact most had been cut down when I was there and were being used at the Highland games.

4. And lastly where are the swarthes of burly, red haired, blue faced, sword bearing highlanders sweeping majestically across the highlands?

oh and 5. More lastly, where is the token drunk, swigging from a bottle in a brown paper bag?

Archived