Bachmann - why price increases are necessary

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

That's an interesting area that I have learnt a lot about. I tried to get some of my n gauge kits assembled rtr in china. Despite sending them samples the conversation was a bit like verbally herding cats! It made me look hard at what I had been doing and I felt that we in the kit side of the industry had got it wrong. A kit is only an unassembled rtr model and should be treated as such.

But then, I usually leave fitting chips to my son, but I decided to do it myself. There's a pile of screws and a complete Bachmann 08 on my workbench. If it's that difficult to take apart, it must be hideous to put together! Yes the answer is, the cost of assembly should be built into the original design.

I have looked into tampo printing and the Chinese price was not huge.

If you look at older rtr models they had relatively simple construction, all they need is a modern level of detail. One interesting little nugget when I discussed manufacturing from my own cad drawings is the minimum tool they use is the same as me!

Roger

• RMweb Premium

How do you mean?

The rather bad act making the unemployed work for em for nothing, or that some people want a lifestyle their talents cant underwrite?

Neither allowing Tesco pay them so little they have to be subsidised by tax credits. And who says they don't have talents that would underwrite their lifestyle if the had the opportunity? It's a very dangerous thing to judge your fellow men and women from a position of superiority.

Roger

Archived