Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

On 10/02/2019 at 15:01, DaveF said:

I suppose this afternoon's photos could be described as being around the West Midlands.

1229032338_SouthamRoadandHarbury47375upfreightAug80J7178.jpg.64889d41ec417039a1d0641f2f971252.jpg

Southam Road and Harbury 47375 up freight Aug 80 J7178.jpg

So much in this photo to look at. The location cabinet with signal combined, wet spots in both roads, warwells and ventilated vans without ventilators. What are the vans?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

So much in this photo to look at. The location cabinet with signal combined, wet spots in both roads, warwells and ventilated vans without ventilators. What are the vans?

I've seen a picture of a van similar to the first one, with the end vent plated in, in one of Dave Larkins' wagon books which, at the moment, I can't find.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Unicorn1 said:

Hello Dave

The S&KLR photos took me back to the time when I volunteered there in the early '70s. as a member of the LCGB .

My one visit was in 1975, when a chap I knew slightly called Malcolm was guard for our (special) train. I was told he was LCGB Member No 7!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bottesford photo’s, which are full,of interest and nostalgia. In particular, a down parcels train, in February, 1981, with most likely 25056 hauling it. What a good selection of vehicles which make up the train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 73c said:

The DMU in J7328 looks like it's been 'off roading '  across a field!

It, somehow, never looks quite right on a model if weathered in that way, just as if someone has carelessly sprayed paint across the chassis catching the lower part of the body. But, as that lovely photo’ confirms, it looks so right on the prototype. Perhaps it’s a question of scale, Im not completely sure.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 62613 said:

I've seen a picture of a van similar to the first one, with the end vent plated in, in one of Dave Larkins' wagon books which, at the moment, I can't find.

Three types of 'BR Standard' van didn't have end vents:-

10t Insulated Meat Van

12t Vanwide with additional side vents (only 6 built)

12t Banana Van.

The most likely would be the latter; a number found employment either as 'fitted heads' or Barrier wagons.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

J7322 can't be 25256, which had the later body style. Since 25156 was the same, I suspect it's 25056.

Agreed. If you look at the following image that I found (from Richard Davies' collection on Flickr), taken from the same end, the scratch above the secondman's side buffer and the wear to the paint below the middle windscreen match in both photographs.

25056 Llandudno Jn

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of Birmingham International. They are all so full interest, and all show off so well how things really were back in BR blue days. More please.

I particularly like J7257, of 85024 on an up service. Such a long train of blue and grey Mk1’s! 12 - 13 coaches?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

C7953 - Pretty sure that green 40 was a regular performer on the Leeds/Settle/Carlisle runs around then.

Certainly I photographed it in 1987 and there are plenty of flickr and other photos too

It was usually seen on the S&C workings, it also used to work along the Cumbrian Coast.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photo’s. They bring back many happy memories. I particularly like the first one of the celebrity class 40 D200/40122, on a  Carlisle to Leeds train on the 26th August, 1886. What a fine sight the 40 makes as it powers away from the station. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

J7274. What was Southall based Pressed Steel DMU set L421 doing at Leicester, I wonder? Where were they overhauled?

To add to that, it's a 117 rather than a 115 as per the caption.

I'd guess a London area (Reading rather than Southall by then?) DMU might have made it to Birmingham on a relief or something, then got stabled at Tyseley and then got chucked out on a Birmingham-Leicester local.

I've a photo somewhere of a 3-car DMU in the Oxford/Reading area substituting for a missing or very delayed inter-regional (what's now CrossCountry) between Birmingham and the SR.

Later edit: come to think of it, that photo might be the other way round, a Tyseley 3-car reaching Reading on a relief for a late-running southbound Poole or Brighton service. Either way, the precedent is there.

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Hi Dave - the NLS side by side maps show the narrow gauge line and the corresponding present day view, it may be possible to work it out from there

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=52.8471&lon=-0.8564&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Jim

Jim,

Thanks very much for the link.  

I can now say that the line ran from left to right across the field in the foreground, according to the map it terminated at the hedge on the right but I think that at some time it went a bit further into the next field.

There has also been some landscaping of the fields in the photo to sort out ground levels since the photo was taken - which has been done in a lot of the old iron orequarries, so the bank in the distance at the back of the field is now lower. It has often been done to improve drainage.

By the way, I've driven along that road probably over a hundred times during the 1970s so I shouldn't have forgotten it!.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Leicestershire photo’s. All of which are full of interest and nostalgia.

I particularly like J7274, at Leicester with a class 31 on a Birmingham

to Cambridge service and a class 117 DMU L421, in October, 1980. 

With warmest regards ,

Rob

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

J7274 classic 80s BR blue, can just imagine myself there!

Loco ticking over on a rake of mk1s and the DMU gently smoking away until it moves, when you'd get clouds of blue exhaust all over the place

• Thanks 1

To echo, the Leicester photos are very evocative, especially as I was based there a couple of years later - by which time very little had changed. It was the year that HSTs started to appear in place of the 45s and stock. There was also the nightly appearance (weekdays) of a class 50 on a freight from Lawley Street, that dropped off at Leicester and went onto the fuelling point, not to mention the summer delights of pairs of 20s on the "Jolly Fisherman". Happy days!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1