Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the SVR photo’s from 1972 to 1975, which are full of interest and nostalgia. The railway has certainly developed since those days, and I particularly like J3778, at Eardington with the GWR railcar number 22 on a Bridgnorth to Hampton Loade service in July 1974. The railcar makes a fine sight.

The Southern photo’s are a delight, and all are most interesting. I like the photo’ of J6015 at Hollingbourne station looking north west, in April, 1978. It’s a good example of a Southern station which survived well into BR days.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Photos from three visits to Carlisle for today, in 1986 and 1987.

I've no idea why I went there twice in eight days.

David

I'm pleased it's not only me that is surprised by my notebooks and why and how I was in some places and doing rail related photography and there again, or somewhere so distant that it is difficult to believe work was fitted in !

Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photo’s which once more show how important the railway was there and still is. I particularly like C8275, of 86213 on a Glasgow to Penzance express on the 14th April, 1987. I see the 86 has a distinctive set of covers over where the windscreen wipers are.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from north of Morpeth. They are as interesting as always, and in C5269, at Longhirst wth a class 254 HST on a down service, on the 17th January, 1981, it’s looking so freezing cold as well as snowy - the weather we have coming by the weekend.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Radcliffe on Trent photo’s. They are all so interesting, and I agree about that man being a pilotman in the last photo’.

I particularly like C3859, of two unknown class 20’s on a Nottingham to Skegness train, on the 29th May, 1978. A great photo’ of a classic train hauled by the two 20’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

A welcome 3.30 routine: cup of tea and a snack, and find this thread's latest update. 

Alphabet soup - I think J6004 is R stock (silver), and J6007 CO/CP stock (red). The Q stock as such had gone by 1978, although some Q cars were converted to run as part of the R stock.

I like the tail lamp in J6007 - always seemed incongruous on the underground.

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold

A welcome 3.30 routine: cup of tea and a snack, and find this thread's latest update. 

Alphabet soup - I think J6004 is R stock (silver), and J6007 CO/CP stock (red). The Q stock as such had gone by 1978, although some Q cars were converted to run as part of the R stock.

I like the tail lamp in J6007 - always seemed incongruous on the underground.

Thanks very much for sorting out the stock details.

As I can't even get BR emu and dmu stock right what hope do I have with LT stock.

David

• Like 1

Thanks very much for sorting out the stock details.

As I can't even get BR emu and dmu stock right what hope do I have with LT stock.

David

That's what we're here for!

Mind you, a lot of those steam engines look the same to me - only three types: pointy ones (rare, LNER), big ones and small ones. No, make that four: flat-sided ones (potted meat tins or something).

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the selection of L.T.& S.R. related photo’s. They are all very interesting, and do indeed show many aspects of the line. In J6007, at Barking, with London Transport CO/CPstock, on an Upminster to Richmond service, in April, 1978, not to nlybos there that tail lamp to see, but as the trains ascends the incline you can see the gentl curve in it unlike some model railways were you get an abrupt transition from level track to the track on the incline. I like that two aspect colour light signal too, which is somewhat different from those on the present day railway.

As always, PS Waverley makes a splendid sight in that last photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Mind you, a lot of those steam engines look the same to me - only three types: pointy ones (rare, LNER), big ones and small ones. No, make that four: flat-sided ones (potted meat tins or something).

Haven't you forgotten "Bath Tubs" but that's along time ago. :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s at Dry Doddington. They are all so full of interest and nostalgia. In particular just look at the magnificent parcels train in J5557, with a class 31, in December, 1976 - also the very cold and frosty weather. Brrrrr!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

At least one of the trains has featured before, but I cannot remember when.  This is a different photo though, being one of Dad's, the earlier one was mine.  I'll let you decide which photo I am referring to.

attachicon.gifDry Doddington Class 47 down Nov 70 C416.jpg

Dry Doddington Class 47 down Nov 70 C416

David

Presumably this is the train that has been featured before. I believe the C prefix pictures are your fathers and the J's are yours, so as this is the only C picture in the group...

• RMweb Gold

Presumably this is the train that has been featured before. I believe the C prefix pictures are your fathers and the J's are yours, so as this is the only C picture in the group...

I don't think that train has been seen before - at least I couldn't find what looked like another view of it in my uploaded file - but I could well be wrong.

The one I know has another photo  is the Class 31 hauled parcels.

By the way, "C" are mine, "J" are Dad's - even I forget which is which from time to time.

David