Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

BRUTES are an important part of the history of railway operations; I hope one has been preserved by the NRM as part of the national collection.

British Railways Utility Trolley Equipment, and nowhere near as good as a traditional wooden trolley as seats for spotters!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

British Railways Utility Trolley Equipment, and nowhere near as good as a traditional wooden trolley as seats for spotters!

Lucky you amended that Johnster,  BRUT is something gentleman of a certain age remember fondly along with Matchmakers and Mateus Rose.... :)

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Bob Reid said:

...  BRUT is something gentleman of a certain age remember fondly ...

Some of us of that age still use it - on weekdays in my case, with Old Spice for weekends.

..... and I still get favourable comments from the ladies concerning my aroma !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Not quite.  Speaking as somebody who used to deal with daily BRUTE counts and balances (just like rolling stock balances including separately controlling those in special circuit workings) they were in fact -

British Rail Universal Trolley Equipment

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not quite.  Speaking as somebody who used to deal with daily BRUTE counts and balances (just like rolling stock balances including separately controlling those in special circuit workings) they were in fact -

British Rail Universal Trolley Equipment

Our lot used to spend an inordinate amount of time maintaining them (so they could run off at peculiar angles) 

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Bob Reid said:

Our lot used to spend an inordinate amount of time maintaining them (so they could run off at peculiar angles) 

And some of our used to do their level best to give you something to do by unloading them from vans without the use of bridging boards etc. (a 'technique'[?] sometimes referred to as 'bouncing').

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Did a fair bit of handling of them when I worked for the Post Office on Cardiff Central in the 90s; nasty sods, ineffective brakes and you had to put your hand in between trains of them to release the brakes.  And the wheels were too small for anything but the most perfect surfaces, contributing to the aforementioned steering issue.

We didn't bounce them, though, just unloaded mailbags direct from the train into one pulled up by the door mostly.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice shots today, Dave. I can’t help noticing that in the first two Deltic pictures you’ve skilfully managed to obscure the nameplates behind either a signal post or some line side undergrowth, thus increasing the challenge of Deltic identification. Well done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from north of Peterborough. All so interesting and nostalgic. I particularly like J2933 at 

Greatford, with a class 55 Deltic at speed on a down express in May, 1972. A really classic shot of a Deltic hauled express.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

Nice shots today, Dave. I can’t help noticing that in the first two Deltic pictures you’ve skilfully managed to obscure the nameplates behind either a signal post or some line side undergrowth, thus increasing the challenge of Deltic identification. Well done!

J2933 could be 9008. There appears to be a bit a red nameplate visible through the signal steps in a lower down position unique to The Green Howards.

J6656 is 55010 The Kings Own Scottish Borderers.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

J2933, J6655 - The Deltic identification game has one more degree of difficulty today. Hide the nameplates behind infrastructure and shrubbery... :)

EDIT: I see Western Aviator has beaten me to this observation... :(

Edited by talisman56
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Some strikingly short formations behind those deltics.

2 hours ago, Market65 said:

They are those Deltic plus eight formations with  the exception of the last one which has a catering car missing.

Best regards,

Rob.

Kings Cross - York and return.

Sweepers ISTR?

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/02/2019 at 16:41, eastwestdivide said:

Some strikingly short formations behind those deltics.

Indeed! Apart from the Trans-pennine workings, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a picture of a Deltic on only seven coaches before. Coincidentally, one of my trains home yesterday (IC2157 from Köln to Gera) was a BR101 loco with only four coaches (roughly equivalent to say, a class 87 on three coaches). Went like the clappers, it did.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Kings Cross - York and return.

Sweepers ISTR?

Mike.

Also, there was a period in pre-HST days where deltic + 8 formations were used to provide faster services where there was a commercial benefit (peak business trains to/from Leeds and Newcastle for example) .  Unlike the York trains of later years the earlier trains tended to run longer distances non-stop and were timed to take advantage of the deltic's capabilities on such a light train. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1