Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Cardiff boy, old enough to remember trolleybuses but not old enough to remember trams, Brian.  I'm 67, and not quite sure how that happened...

T'other way round in Brum

Although Birmingham was an early adopter of trolleybuses the trams which they were supposed to replace outlived them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland photo’s between Skipton and Carlisle. All so interesting and full of nostalgia. In J249, at Selside, with Stanier Black 5 on a down freight train in August, 1965, judging by the boiler, it must be an early example of the class. There’s no dome. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Bell Busk Britannia 70023 down vans Oct 67 J1168

Lovely realistic back scene, but those trees are a bit inconsistant seasonally.....

Not at all, there's one in full leaf, one that's turned and lost half its leaves and one that's completely devoid of leaves. A typical October scene in the north don't you think?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Leander said:

Not at all, there's one in full leaf, one that's turned and lost half its leaves and one that's completely devoid of leaves. A typical October scene in the north don't you think?

You missed the sarcasm, a prototype for everything. Generally you wouldn't model trees like that, full leaf, falling or bare, but not all three.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Ah...

They were all BR Sulzer Type 2 Bo-Bo diesel electrics in pre TOPs days, and in my Combined Volume.

Gateshead had an allocation of 25s so would not be unusual, plus aa already mentioned they would work in from Carlisle and occasionally from the north, not unknown to come up from the York area.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 45125 said:

Gateshead had an allocation of 25s so would not be unusual, plus aa already mentioned they would work in from Carlisle and occasionally from the north, not unknown to come up from the York area.

In addition Haymarket had an allocation of class 25s.One of them got to York on a Mystery  Tour ( destination Scarborough) from Edinburgh after the rostered class 40 failed just before departure from Waverley 

I was on board but how I got home is another story!

Edited by Steamysandy
Additional information
  • Thanks 1

On 27/05/2019 at 09:22, Chris116 said:

Which we would all like to hear

Right you asked.The train was booked for a 40 but the 25 lost out on accelerating away from checks.  I realised we were going to be late back into Edinburgh and I was going to be stranded but there was a long section on a Saturday night between Dunbar and Drem so I thought we might get held at Dunbar which was only five miles from home. Dunbar came and went ---.

A few minutes later the brakes went hard on and the train came to a stand so seizing the moment,I opened the door ,and jumped out saying Good night to the Guard as I passed his coach. It was only a mile and a half to get home so I walked it!

Years later two friends who were on the train met the guard and he told them that a cattle lorry had crossed the line right in front of the train at Beltonford Level Crossing.The driver slapped on the Anchors and the train came to a stand but initially they'd thought I'd pulled the communication cord but it was confirmed by the driver when they reached Waverley.

The level crossing was a known black spot being user operated with a blind approach from the south and there was one particularly bad accident some years earlier with loss of life

It was later replaced with a new road which didn't cross the railway.

Photo J3989 on page 553 is approx half a mile east of the one time crossing.

Edited by Steamysandy
Additional info
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave, I like the photo’s of Birmingham New Street and International stations. They are all full of interest. In J7266, at Birmingham International, with class 86’s on an up service in October, 1980, on the cab front of the leading class 86, there is the tired remains of a paper headboard ending in ‘special ‘. I cannot make the rest of the lettering out.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mookie said:

Love those Birmingham New Street and International photos. Apart of my old stomping ground, in my day. Never seen an 86 double header though.

Thanks.

BNS was great for the sheer volume of loco exchanges and reversals for the NE/SW services plus for me class 50s on the Paddington services as I'd missed them being allocated in the Northwest and didn't go south of Birmingham very often.

Edited by woodenhead
spelling
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s from between Newcastle and Morpeth. Soon all those trains will be history, for in addition to the long gone Metro Cammell DMU’s and class 142 and 144 Pacer railbuses, the HST’s will be history too as far as the ECML is concerned. J7063 at Damdykes crossing with a class 254 HST on a down express in August, 1980, is a fine view of a classic train. 

The latest about the Pacers is that it is now suggested they are turned into village halls. There is a story on BBC news about it. Here’s the link. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-48434379

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mookie said:

Love those Birmingham New Street and International photos. Apart of my old stomping ground, in my day. Never seen an 86 double header though.

Thanks.

I don't think that's a double-header - the second 86 is 'pan down'...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Some lovely shots today, Dave; perfect timing on the Deltic shot (seems like a short formation for an Aberdeen, though), some nice roof colour variation on the Class 40-hauled train and a splendid Stratford duff in the last picture. Ace.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

J7816 - are they using Peco track cleaners to ensure a good electrical connection between the track and trains

I think they are ultrasonic rail defect detectors.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 2