Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, DaveF, I particularly like the photo of the class 15. Also the class 306 EMU shows some good weathering on the cab end. The photo's really are showing how the railway was on a day to day basis - warts and all! More please.

All the best,

Market65.

The class306 was a lovely train to ride on they built up a swinging motion at speed the seats were well upholstered and the units had an air of plenty of room unlike the units that followed ! At Stratford watching everything that went through was a good way to spend a day as the variety of locos guaranteed happiness plus if you ventured across to the main line platforms a view of the loco could just be had.Thanks for the photos.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, DaveF, absolutely great photo's of the High Dyke branch. Although I did not get to see the branch, seeing these photo's is like being there all those years ago. Many thanks.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, DaveF, another great selection of photo's. Good view of a Fowler tender - is the 'brown' bits of wood or paper I am wondering? Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, DaveF, another great selection of photo's. Good view of a Fowler tender - is the 'brown' bits of wood or paper I am wondering? Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

It might be paper or some form of brown material, it doesn't look like wood to me.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, DaveF, I also like the V2 in the snow. It is oozing atmosphere. The class 47 and class 20 in the rain at Retford are, for me, very much of their times as well. So, great photo's again and please keep them coming.

Also thanks for helping to clarify, what I thought was the case with that 4f tender.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, DaveF, I love the LT train views. I always thought that those units were very classy in their appearance. Good nostalgic photo's and please keep them coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Great photos! The "Jinty" is not 47431 though, it's a Johnson 3F so it must be 47231, 47431 would have the sandbox "keyhole" on the tank side.

Cheers,

Edward

Edward,

Many thanks for pointing that out to me, it certainly is 47231, it's quite clear on the photo.  I must remember to look at the actual photos not just my photo catalogues and indexes when I do the captions.

David

Edited to add a missing word.

D

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Ah Guy Norris - certainly a name from the past. Musht've got some stock by mail order from him.

Nice pics again David. You've captured one of those LTS EMU's with the luggage trailers for Tilbury workings.

That 308 taking the Tilbury line looks rather unusual. Is it one of those which were converted for parcels use?

I thought they were a later development.

The photo is of a  Class 308/2 emu, set numbers 317 to 321.  They were built with the motor luggage vans in 1961.

The original intention was that the 308/2s would only be used in the very early morning and late evening when more mail and parcels would be carried and fewer passengers, but that didn't really work out.  

Originally sets 313 to 316 also had MLVs but there were problems with overcrowding as the sets were effectively only 3 cars for passengers.  In 1971 sets  313 to 316 had the cars rebuilt as MBSO, becoming Class 308/4.

I do have more photos of both variants which will turn up here at some time in the future.

David

The 116 on the Kentish Town to Barking reminded me of a story a friend of mine who'd worked at Cricklewood in the 80s used to tell. A woman had approached one of his colleagues who was sat in the cab of a unit at Kentish Town and asked, "is this the Barking train?". His reply of, "no madam, it goes toot toot like all the rest" was to attract a complaint and a subsequent disciplinary!

• Like 1

Ahh, Barking. But wot, no freight trains? There always seemed to be a steady stream of 31s, 37s and 47s on oil tanks and more when we went.

I suspect the silver underground R stock might have been the District line rather than the Metropolitan. They didn't have long to go when you photographed them, being replaced by the D78 stock from 1978-ish onwards. 

And on the motor luggage vans, was the extra provision connected with Tilbury as a departure point for big ships?

The photo is of a  Class 308/2 emu, set numbers 317 to 321.  They were built with the motor luggage vans in 1961.

The original intention was that the 308/2s would only be used in the very early morning and late evening when more mail and parcels would be carried and fewer passengers, but that didn't really work out.  

Originally sets 313 to 316 also had MLVs but there were problems with overcrowding as the sets were effectively only 3 cars for passengers.  In 1971 sets  313 to 316 had the cars rebuilt as MBSO, becoming Class 308/4.

I do have more photos of both variants which will turn up here at some time in the future.

David

Thanks David. I never knew that, and it is amazing what snippets I can discover after all these years. I think that by the time I ventured to that area the rebuilt versions were operating. 

• RMweb Gold

Ahh, Barking. But wot, no freight trains? There always seemed to be a steady stream of 31s, 37s and 47s on oil tanks and more when we went.

I suspect the silver underground R stock might have been the District line rather than the Metropolitan. They didn't have long to go when you photographed them, being replaced by the D78 stock from 1978-ish onwards. 

And on the motor luggage vans, was the extra provision connected with Tilbury as a departure point for big ships?

I never saw a freight train at Barking, but most of my visits were on Saturdays which might explain that.  

I'm not sure whether the MLVs in the 308s were just for the Tilbury traffic, there was also a lot of parcels traffic to/from Southend East, I think a number of mail order companies were based there at one time.

Thanks for the point about the R stock, my notes I made that day were not very detailed.

David