Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Love the Manchester Victoria pictures, especially the photo of the platform11 bridge. 

The pair of 37's wouldn't have been seen in my day (80-83) next to the Bury platforms, usually a Class 128 Parcels van would be in there. 

• Thanks 1

On 19/08/2019 at 18:45, iands said:

J6486. Looks like someone couldn't wait to get off - a door on the first carriage of the unit is already open, with only half the train in the platform!

Given that it is a Cravens, I can quite understand the pressing need to get out as quickly as possible. 

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

On 20/08/2019 at 22:45, Chris116 said:

As a guard on a heritage railway I regret that while we try to stop passengers from opening doors we are not always successful sadly. 

How do they get on and off the trains? 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Yorkshire Dales Railway photo’s which are very interesting. In C14290, that’s interesting ends on the gangways of those two Mk1’s. I’m guessing a special event was going on.

The Manchester Victoria station photo’s are full of interest, and the last one is a great photo’ of 37684, on the 18th March, 1989. I like the way the 37 is weathered, and is most useful for modelling reasons.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Yorkshire Dales Railway photo’s which are very interesting. In C14290, that’s interesting ends on the gangways of those two Mk1’s. I’m guessing a special event was going on.

I think those ends are an adopted Heritage Railway standard for propelling rather than top and tailling. They use them at the Bucks Railway Centre and also the Northampton and Lamport AFAIK.

They might only be allowed on shorter moves/lines, somebody in the preservation movement might confirm?

Dave

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Davexoc said:

I think those ends are an adopted Heritage Railway standard for propelling rather than top and tailling. They use them at the Bucks Railway Centre and also the Northampton and Lamport AFAIK.

They might only be allowed on shorter moves/lines, somebody in the preservation movement might confirm?

Dave

Used on the GC northern section between Ruddington and Loughborough. If it's the same there's only a brake valve and horn, used by the guard when propelled

• Thanks 1

An easy one to identify this time, it being the start of the season:  J7647 would be 20 173 & 20 187 on 31st May 1982, according to RailGen Archive - the pair actually worked an unidentified additional from Nottingham to Skeg and back.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steve4rosegrove said:

Absolutely not.  It was a wonderful place, so full of character and warm and welcoming.  I miss it so very much.

It is really strange, because whenever I went there it gave me 'the creeps'. Did someone suffer a gruesome death there at any time? Or maybe built on a cemetery? 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

J7323.jpg is a cracking shot, conveying the cold winters day.

In J8028.jpg, just wondering what might be going on in the background, field or building fire of some sorts?

regards,

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bottesford photo’s. They are full of interest, and the first two are so cool and refreshing on this boiling hot summers evening! Indeed, in J7323, with a class 47, on a Parkeston Quay to Manchester service in  February, 1981, the second vehicle is a Mk1 RMB. A bit of a walk from the rear carriage if refreshments were required.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

J7323.jpg is a cracking shot, conveying the cold winters day.

In J8028.jpg, just wondering what might be going on in the background, field or building fire of some sorts?

regards,

Dave

At first I wondered, so I looked at other photos taken there either side of that one.

It's just a bit of cloud which has become darkeneda bit more when using auto contrast in Photoshop.  

The sky is a more uniform dark colour on photos taken shorlt before and after that one.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Think the dark patch is something to do with exhaust fumes as the train is coming off a permanent speed restriction 

Quite surprised to see aircon stock on a skegness train of this period 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, russ p said:

Think the dark patch is something to do with exhaust fumes as the train is coming off a permanent speed restriction 

Quite surprised to see aircon stock on a skegness train of this period 

It was the first year they were used regularly. A number of the summer dated trains used sets spare at Etches Park on a Saturday from the MML roster. With the introduction of HSTs, the AC mk2 sets were cascaded down and replaced most of the remaining mk1s on second tier MML services, finding their way to Skeggy on a Saturday. The rest of the Skeggy trains, all weekday ones included, retained the mk1s dedicated to those services for a few years longer.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the ECML from the north of Grantham. All are of interest and full of nostalgia. I particularly like J5661, at Peascliffe Tunnel, with class 47, 47552, on a Bradford to Kings Cross express in April, 1977. It’s interesting to note that there are two Mk1 BG’s at the front of the formation.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 19/08/2019 at 18:45, iands said:

J6486. Looks like someone couldn't wait to get off - a door on the first carriage of the unit is already open, with only half the train in the platform!

Quite common at London Termini - I can always remember the almost choreographed opening of the 70 to 72 doors on an 8-Sub train on arrival at Waterloo...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

J5045 is a cracking pic of the 47 hard at work - especially since it looks like you were struggling with the (lack of) light!

Wondering if the headcode has been wound incorrectly (or slipped round), as according to http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/wtt75-76.htm :

There's 1E05 (10.00 Edin-KX, The Flying Scotsman) or 1E07 (10.30 Edin-KX) but no 1E06.

Presumably this train was at Grantham in the early afternoon, with the winter light already fading.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, keefer said:

J5045 is a cracking pic of the 47 hard at work - especially since it looks like you were struggling with the (lack of) light!

Wondering if the headcode has been wound incorrectly (or slipped round), as according to http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/wtt75-76.htm :

There's 1E05 (10.00 Edin-KX, The Flying Scotsman) or 1E07 (10.30 Edin-KX) but no 1E06.

Presumably this train was at Grantham in the early afternoon, with the winter light already fading.

It's one of Dad's photos, I don't have a photo of that train so it must have been taken when I was at home in Essex.  That means it was probably taken on the 10th or 17th, which were Saturdays.

Like you I had a look on the Napier Chronicles when I was writing the caption, hence the lack of detail on the working in my caption.

By the way, the level crossing is also known as Frinkley Lane crossing.

David

• Thanks 1