Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the latest Swayfield photo’s which are all full of interest. I think , as stated by keefer, in the post above, that in J2957, the train will be some kind of extra or excursion working. I recall being on a schools excursion train, and it was the same mix of liveries of the Mk1 stock. (We went to Alnmouth for a trip to Holy Island).

And I particularly like C1607 of a Deltic, from the side, on an up express train in May. 1974. A very nicely captured view of the train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

We used to get quite a few Merrymaker excursions from East Lincs, starting Cleethorpes or Lincoln, and the greater proportion had a Tinsley class 45 on the front.

Went to Margate, Brighton, Weston s Mare, Tenby, Ayr, Portsmouth, Whitby and Paignton behind them.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the new Cumbrian Coast Line photo’s which are all full of interest. C8401 of Maryport and the signal box on the 22nd April, 1987, really stands out as a superb shot. Indeed it is useful for anyone making a model of that box.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, great central said:

C17949, 153313 now with EMR nee EMT still has that old style overhead warning flash on the second man's windscreen!

Won't be with us much longer though, Abellio have said all single unit trains to be gone in the first six months of the franchise.

Oh, now then... they could rebuild the 153s into two car units by pairing them up.... errr...

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

Oh, now then... they could rebuild the 153s into two car units by pairing them up.... errr...

True but they would also need fitting with universal toilets and PIS screens to become PRM compliant. All before the end of the year as well.

Afraid it looks like an appointment with a gas axe before too long.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, great central said:

C17949, 153313 now with EMR nee EMT still has that old style overhead warning flash on the second man's windscreen!

Won't be with us much longer though, Abellio have said all single unit trains to be gone in the first six months of the franchise.

To be replaced by what,I wonder ?   The use of single units by EM is/was geographically wide ranging from Derby-Crewe to rural Lincolnshire and beyond.Noisy but characterful.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

To be replaced by what,I wonder ?   The use of single units by EM is/was geographically wide ranging from Derby-Crewe to rural Lincolnshire and beyond.Noisy but characterful.

Initially ex Anglia 156s with a few 170s from West Midlands I understand. The entire 15x fleet is to be replaced by more 'modern' units by 2022, all 170s we're told. They'll be getting on for 25 years old by then.

Awaiting developments.

Edit: the use of 153s was mandated in the original EMT franchise drawn up by the DFT under instructions from the government of the day. To say they were inadequate from day 1 wouldn't be unreasonable.

Edited by great central
Add last paragraph
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

So more castoffs for the Derby-Crewe line then. Thinking about it,the 153’s have worked this line on and off since Regional Railways days,interspersed with 156 and 158 occasionally.

Prior to that there was a period in the late 1980’s when,due to a shortage of dmu,a combination of pairs of class 20  hauling redundant diesel units was the norm. This led to official complaints from local authority council members.It redefined the term ramshackle.

• Thanks 1

The 170s may be cast-offs but IMHO they are extremely comfortable and pleasant units to travel in, the only issue when they are used on services such as Glasgow or Edinburgh to Aberdeen or Inverness (albeit not for much longer) being lack of capacity, which is not the fault of the sets of course !

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the Heatherslaw Light Railway, which is, like you said, a railway which I’ve not heard of before. Therefore the photo’s are most enlightening and I think it’s a delightful line which warrants a visit one day.

The Bottesford photo’s are all great shots and very nostalgic. What a scene in J7735, with a class 105 and 114 DMU formation on a Nottingham to Skegness service, in August, 1982. The guard, with his door open, and leaning out would have H&S in apoplectic fits if that had been today. Look at the open door incident on a GA class 321 EMU recently and how people are upset about it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Heatherslaw and Etal  went there and had a great morning the locos were impressive as was the terminus with loco shed station and even a model railway club. all in all good set up .The terminus up the line was basic but the castle interesting  is the line still in existence?

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

Heatherslaw and Etal  went there and had a great morning the locos were impressive as was the terminus with loco shed station and even a model railway club. all in all good set up .The terminus up the line was basic but the castle interesting  is the line still in existence?

Yes, it is still there.

If you have a look at the website using the link just above the photos in my post you can see what is happening now.

David

I like the pictures of Heatherslaw. We visited there when our younger son was about 19 months old. he was so upset that some of us walked back with him in the pushchair rather than on the train. That was before we knew he had ASD and his unsettled nature was distressing for us and him

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photo’s of the WCML around Abington. They are full of interest and some lovely Scottish scenery. In C16822, at Abington, with a class 86 on a down express passenger train on the  24th April, 1992, it’s surrounded by some lovely scenery. Amazing how the railway fits into the scene so well unlike roads which don’t often manage it somehow.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1