Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Teesside photo’s which have much of interest in them and show how things were at the time the photo’s were taken. Things are today undergoing quite a change.

The first photo’, at Middlesbrough, with 142535, on an up service, on the 5th December, 1992, will soon be history with the demise of the 142’s. Also the unit number was changed back to 142035 later on after the photo’ was taken. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Re the last two photos yesterday, is it my eyes deceiving me or has light reflected from the scenery given an orange-yellow cast to the sides of the train?

Beautiful photos.

Jonathan

It's simply that the film had changed colour and I didn't manage to remove all the colour cast in Photoshop.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Darlington to Chester le Street photo's which are all full of interest. In C18084, at Chester le Street, with class 158, 158805, on a  Liverpool to Newcastle express service on the 27th Octotber, 1992, you have a great portrait shot of the unit, one of the original three car sets, which is looking still quite new and shiny.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, dvdlcs said:

C21830 - unlike earlier coaches, I don't recall seeing many pictures of Mk4 rakes with mixed liveries, although it obviously happened at least once.

I have a number of photos of mixed livery Mk4 rakes in the earliest days of GNER, though it didn't last for very long.   More common to start with was a GNER liveried Class 91 on an Intercity livereied set of coaches.

It also often happend with HST ses, both GNER and Virgin for a time.

As and when I use them other mixed rake photos will appear in this thread.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Glasgow Central photo’s which all full of interest and capture the essence of the station perfectly. In particular, C16708 is a fine portrait shot of 90018, on the 29th February, 1992. That livery suited them so well in addition to the Inter City livery.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

When you look back to this time the liveries were so much better than the swirly awful ones of today, they actually matched the vehicle they were applied to rather than just putting lines all over them into matching any of the lines on bodywork 

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

On 09/09/2019 at 15:26, DaveF said:

Today we visit Scotland again, this time on the West Coat Main Line around Abington.

933290920_AbingtonClass87upfreight24thApril92C16819.jpg.094fffc604d85f2f354a7d20404dbdfd.jpg

Abington Class 87 up freight 24th April 92 C16819

David

That's a 90 in mainline livery rather than an 87 :good_mini:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s which are fascinating and capture ambiance of the line so perfectly. I particularly like C16595, at Brampton, with class 56, 56128, on a westbound coal train on the 22nd October, 1991. It’s a beautifully composed shot with the bridge framing the 56 perfectly.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

C9311 - that'll be a cl.116 rather than 119. It has a high-density (suburban) door layout and I don't think the 119s ever got to Scotland/NE England.

An interesting formation anyway, by the late '80s the ScR was using anything they had that still worked, testament to the fitters who maintained them.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the ECML taken at Ulgham Lane Crossing from the late 80’s and early 90’s, which are full of interest. In C13899, of a class 37 on an empty alumina working from Fort William to North Blyth on the 29th December, 1989, on greatly enlarging the photo’ it is possible to just make out the locomotive number. 37051 is what I make it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

C18135 the train isn’t listed on Six Bells Junction but another train with the central and lower right headboards, hauled by 86247, is listed for 12/12/92 running WCML between Northampton and Edinburgh. Wonder what this one was...

I've had a look at the original scan, two of the headboards read "Rail" and "The Capitals Express".

David

C9311; I wonder what a Scotrail DMU was doing any further south on the ECML than Drem ?! It must have been a good set to have got that far; One of its sisters, 101321 (known, not affectionately, as Dusty Bin) was notorious, so much so that the Queen St Controller spent all their time trying to send it to Edinburgh, and the Edinburgh Controller would promptly send it back !

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lmsforever said:

It was good when you could wander round the shed interesting to get up close to locos and talk to the people working on them ,but health and safety is the great god now.

I agree it was nice to walk round the sheds, even in the early 80s most of the visitors who would do that were probably enthusiasts who at least knew locos were heavy and could move.  However, many of them didn't think to look and listen while they were getting into position when taking their photos.  Nowadays many visitors don't realise that locos may need to move and that drivers have a very restricted view.

In the mid 1960s, when I was I was a teenager, I spent a lot of time at Cadeby where Teddy Boston had his railway and traction engines.  Even back then it was hard to get people to stay out of the way of Pixie, and even harder with traction engines.  When I started to drive them I soon learnt how little a driver can see right in front of him and spent a lot of time shouting at people to get out of the way.  Driving a traction engine at a Traction Engine Rally can be quite frightening when you see the antics of the general public.

At Sewstern and Market Overton in the early 70s it could be hard to make sure that people were kept out of danger, even a lot of enthusiasts get very engaged in what they are looking at and don't have much awareness of what is going on around them.  One of the nearest misses I saw was when a lorry driver was watching his lorry being loaded with sleepers and he simply wasn't watching what the crane driver was doing.  A few loud shouts and he ducked under some concrete sleepers which were being loaded just in time.

2 hours ago, caradoc said:

C9311; I wonder what a Scotrail DMU was doing any further south on the ECML than Drem ?! It must have been a good set to have got that far; One of its sisters, 101321 (known, not affectionately, as Dusty Bin) was notorious, so much so that the Queen St Controller spent all their time trying to send it to Edinburgh, and the Edinburgh Controller would promptly send it back !

At the time Heaton were very short of dmus - the new Pacers had a terrible reliability record.  They substituted a number of diagrams with Class 31 and Class 47 hauled 3 coach Mk1 sets, they also borrowed anything they could get hold of from other areas.  It made photography very enjoyable for a few months as you never knew what might turn up.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, caradoc said:

A number of DMUs were switched around over the years and Haymarket for a time had some ex Chester 108s so looking at this 101,it's coupled to a Suburban (117?) ,coach.

My favourite from about the same time was an ex Haymarket Gloucester RC &W  class 100 power car on a Manningtree to Harwich local!

• Thanks 2