Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Severn Valley Railway photo’s which show how it has changed over the years, including the H&S changing much too.

It’s interesting to compare the two variants of the LMS livery on the two carriages in C3294 at Arley, with GWR 4566 , on a Bewdley to Bridgnorth train on the 11th April, 1977. I think the front carriage has the post war livery represented. I may be wrong.

The Tyne and Wear photo’s are full of interest, and that’s quite a change of gradient in C15596, at Backworth Junction, with Metro, 4057, on a service to St James, on the 18th February, 1991. And the sign on the left is presumably indicating a speed limit of either 80 kph, or 80 mph. I’m not too familiar with that part of the T&W Metro.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Severn Valley Railway photo’s which show how it has changed over the years, including the H&S changing much too.

It’s interesting to compare the two variants of the LMS livery on the two carriages in C3294 at Arley, with GWR 4566 , on a Bewdley to Bridgnorth train on the 11th April, 1977. I think the front carriage has the post war livery represented. I may be wrong.

The Tyne and Wear photo’s are full of interest, and that’s quite a change of gradient in C15596, at Backworth Junction, with Metro, 4057, on a service to St James, on the 18th February, 1991. And the sign on the left is presumably indicating a speed limit of either 80 kph, or 80 mph. I’m not too familiar with that part of the T&W Metro.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The Tyne and Wear Metro  uses kilometres for distance and speed.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Market65 said:

With warmest regards,

Rob.

48 minutes ago, keefer said:

C15596 - isn't that just the track curving round rather than a change in gradient?

I think it is mainly a curve, I think there is also a change in gradient, but not as severe as it looks with the zoom lens.

David

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

The Tyne and Wear Metro  uses kilometres for distance and speed.

David

During the "Sunderland Direct" project (extending the T&W Metro to Sunderland over "Railtrack" metals, and then on to South Hylton), for a period of time "dual" speed boards were used (on the "shared" bit of line between Pelaw and Sunderland), kind of a vertical elongated diamond shape, fluorescent yellow with black numbers, depicting 80 over 50. The "80" was the line speed displayed in kph for the T&W drivers, the "50" was the line speed displayed in mph for "non-T&W" drivers. I understand these signs have all been replaced for the (now) conventional signs of "black on white" for mph, and "white on black" for kph.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from Castleford, Huddersfield and Crigglestone. All are full of interest and expertly composed, capturing the subject so well. In C8162, at Crigglestone, of the MR viaduct on the 3rd January, 1987, that’s a photo’ which perfectly conveys the size and majesty of the structure. A beautiful design and it certainly has lasted so well.

C15387, at Huddersfield with 141119 on a Huddersfield to Leeds service on the 8th September, 1990, is a great portrait of that unit. It shows how the narrow bodied sets were really not suitable as a first generation unit replacement and that something better was needed. We all know how that went with 142’s and 144’s! Now they are having to slowly be replaced.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

C19460 is 86212 Preston Guild

Thanks very much for correcting the number.  It was my mistake - I typed the loco number from the wrong photo in my catlogue.

21 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

J6580.jpg - If that is the up train I would expect the first class to be behind the loco,   Also it would be quite unusual to have the Royal Scot formed of non airconditioned stock at that late date.

Jim

I would agree with that Jim, but it's one of Dad's photos and I only have his slide catalogue, not the notes he made at the time he took that photo - they have got lost.  He usually idenitified trains from timetables, so from time to time he got them wrong.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the WCML to the south of Carlisle. All are full of interest and nostalgia. I particularly like C18345, at Penrith, with 87025, on a Penzance to Edinburgh express on the 6th March, 1993. The 87 makes a fine sight from the three quarters view from the rear, and to think that such trains are now XC Voyagers.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the WCML to the south of Carlisle. All are full of interest and nostalgia. I particularly like C18345, at Penrith, with 87025, on a Penzance to Edinburgh express on the 6th March, 1993. The 87 makes a fine sight from the three quarters view from the rear, and to think that such trains are now XC Voyagers.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Unlikely that a Cross Country train would be formed of mark 3 stock and hauled by an 87, much more likely to be a West Coast working as cross country sets were normally mark 2F sets hauled by class 86 at that time.

The Summer Saturday Manchester to Paignton trains being the obvious exceptions being formed of West Coast mark 3 sets hauled by whatever was available at the time.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Radcliffe on Trent photo’s which are all full of interest. In the last one, C14278, with 150130 on a Grantham to Derby service, on the 10th April, 1990, you can see some of the paintwork has got worn away. Hopefully it would have received a repaint in the near future, for it just looked so uncared for.  Of course, Northern now have all 50 of the 150/1’s on lease, and all are being progressively refurbished.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle Central photo’s of which all are of interest.

The last photo’ of 47572 on a parcels service, on the 1st September, 1992 is a great portrait shot of that 47. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 15:08, DaveF said:

435816003_BayHorseClass8787031upRoyalScotJuly79J6580.jpg.7b153333daa4378b0ea0b33b033f1622.jpg

Bay Horse Class 87 87031 up Royal Scot?? July 79 J6580.jpg

David

According to the timetable the next up working to the "Royal Scot" would have been the 10:35 Glasgow Central - Liverpool Lime Street / Manchester Victoria (which conveyed a portion from Edinburgh which left Waverley at 10:21).

The Train Marshalling Circular of the time shows this to be composed of Mk2 Air Braked stock (not shown as air conditioned) so possible this was the working shown.

The full consist was given as BFK - FK - TSO - RMB - TSO - TSO - BFK - TSO - TSO - TSO - NEA

The next possible culprit was 11:23 Glasgow - Birmingham New Street (again with a Edinburgh portion) which was Mk2 Air Conditioned stock

The stock for the "Royal Scot" shows as Mk3 and was composed of NEA - FO - FO - RKB - TSO - TSO - TSO - TSO - TSO - TSO

Edited by SP Steve
Incorrect details amended
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SP Steve said:

According to the timetable the closest up working to the "Royal Scot" would have been the 11:23 Glasgow Central - Birmingham New Street (which also conveyed a portion from Edinburgh which left Waverley at 11:15).

The Train Marshalling Circular of the time shows this to be composed of Mk2 Air Conditioned stock so it's probable that this is what "Hal' O The Wynd" is seen heading.

The full consist was given as TSO - TSO - TSO - RKB - SO - FK - BSO - NEA - TSO - TSO - TSO - TSO - BFK

Thanks for working that out Steve, it makes sense so I've altered the caption.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Stirling photo’s which are full of interest. In the last one, with a class 158 on a Glasgow to Aberdeen service, on the 5th April, 1991, the unit is actually 158717, not 158716.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1