Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Possibly Russel coal containers on 4-wheel container flats?

Yes, definitely Russell coal containers on FPA flats, but I’m not sure what the last but one wagon is. Another bogie steel wagon, perhaps?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to pick up on last Thursday's selection - the SLOA "Flying Scotsman" Diamond Jubilee trains:  I travelled on one and photographed the others. The loco on the support coaches (and which returned the trains from York to King's Cross) on all three weekends was 47 158 "Henry Ford", rather than 47 584, as captioned on J7832.

In view of the 21st century concern over trespassing on the track, with particular regard to steam specials and to this particular loco, I thought that you might like to see this (particularly poor - for which I apologise but it's the only one that I've got as an illustration) image that I took at Newark during the water stop on the weekend that I travelled (27th February 1983). The entire trackbed of the up and down ECML was awash with enthusiasts, services were brought to a standstill - so not a recent phenomenon at all!

P19830227021 4472 Newark.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

I'm not sure I'd want to travel from York to Manchester in a Class 142.

David

Until recently you could also do Newcastle/Sunderland to Carlisle in one.

Metrocentre to Central station was more than enough for me!

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of York. They are all so full of interest and nostalgia. I was only there last Saturday, and there are still 142’s in service to Harrogate and Hull. In C7856, on the 3rd August, 1986, you can see how weedy the tracks  in those bay platforms were and it would seem privatisation is not solely responsible for such things. But it hasn’t helped either. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photo’s which are full of interest. In particular, C9412 of class 90, 90004, on the 12th April, 1988. It’s a fine portrait of that 90 and provides some useful detail for the forthcoming Bachmann model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

An ex-works loco will pick up dirt on it’s first duty, especially in wet or very dry, dusty, weather, and in steam days it could get pretty mucky before it even left the shed!  This is the fun of weathering; you can apply it with a very light touch, go overboard, or anything on the spectrum. 

Happily, the days when RTR models were presented in shiny ex works condition, polished wheel rims and gleaming motion, are gone; most nowadays seem to look as if they’ve been in service a few days.  A light wash of your favourite weathering muck to take the sheen off still makes a big difference, though, IMHO.  One or two items in ‘out of the box’ condition will emphasise the point, especially for ‘era 4/5’ modellers when a lot of new and recently refurbished stock was about. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Clapham Junction photo’s and it’s a shame if they are the last ones. In the first one of a class 455, number 5909, on a down service, on the 21st, November, 1987, the unit is in blue and grey and looking quite smart apart from the connecting gangway on the cab front, which is looking quite grim and dirty. Quite a contrast to the class 442 in the last photo’ which is clean and modern. Admittedly it does not have the burden of a connecting gangway.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Clapham Junction photo’s and it’s a shame if they are the last ones. In the first one of a class 455, number 5909, on a down service, on the 21st, November, 1987, the unit is in blue and grey and looking quite smart apart from the connecting gangway on the cab front, which is looking quite grim and dirty. Quite a contrast to the class 442 in the last photo’ which is clean and modern. Admittedly it does not have the burden of a connecting gangway.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The 442 is looking clean and modern because it's brand-new and may not yet have begun revenue service. They were first introduced in 1988, the year of the photo. The 488s do have connecting gangways, but it's clean on this example as it's new …..

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle line photo’s which are most interesting and nostalgic. The second photo’ at Dilston crossing, C8718, with class 143, 143023, on a Hexham to Newcastle service, on the 1st August, 1987, shows a wet spot on the other track, which was there just under a month earlier in C8626 with V2 Green Arrow. Also, in those two photo’s is a bit of a curiosity. From the right are two wires/cables. They appear to end in mid air! I could be seeing  things - my eyes are not getting any younger. If anyone can provide an explanation I would be most grateful.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle line photo’s which are most interesting and nostalgic. The second photo’ at Dilston crossing, C8718, with class 143, 143023, on a Hexham to Newcastle service, on the 1st August, 1987, shows a wet spot on the other track, which was there just under a month earlier in C8626 with V2 Green Arrow. Also, in those two photo’s is a bit of a curiosity. From the right are two wires/cables. They appear to end in mid air! I could be seeing  things - my eyes are not getting any younger. If anyone can provide an explanation I would be most grateful.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Rob,

The wires actually drop into the undergrowth, I presume they then run along the ground.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Dave for your reply. It seems a bit of a strange situation only I cannot recall a location where wires drop down to the ground in that way. I think they usually are routed down the pole in question before making  their way along the ground in trunking. I’ll be looking carefully at some other photo’s to see if I can find any others.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Market65 said:

Thank you, Dave for your reply. It seems a bit of a strange situation only I cannot recall a location where wires drop down to the ground in that way. I think they usually are routed down the pole in question before making  their way along the ground in trunking. I’ll be looking carefully at some other photo’s to see if I can find any others.

Best regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Given the angle of the photo I assume it was taken from Dilston overbridge. It looks to me that the pole/cable route "is between jobs", i.e. the pole route has partly been done away with, but the surface concrete trough route hasn't yet been installed. it looks like the aerial cables (the two thicker black ones) are still on the pole route to take them over the road crossing Dilston overbridge. When the SCT is installed, along the track and "through" the bridge, the aerial cables will be replaced with other cables in the SCT and the two poles (out of shot) will be recovered (cut down). Dave's photo captures a "temporary" state of the cable infrastructure, however, we all know what that in railway terms "temporary" can mean days, weeks, months or even years!

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, iands said:

Hi Rob,

Given the angle of the photo I assume it was taken from Dilston overbridge. It looks to me that the pole/cable route "is between jobs", i.e. the pole route has partly been done away with, but the surface concrete trough route hasn't yet been installed. it looks like the aerial cables (the two thicker black ones) are still on the pole route to take them over the road crossing Dilston overbridge. When the SCT is installed, along the track and "through" the bridge, the aerial cables will be replaced with other cables in the SCT and the two poles (out of shot) will be recovered (cut down). Dave's photo captures a "temporary" state of the cable infrastructure, however, we all know what that in railway terms "temporary" can mean days, weeks, months or even years!

Hope this helps.

Hi Ian, 

I can confirm it was taken from Dilston overbridge.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, DaveF said:

This morning's photos are once again from Sewstern and Market Overton, beyond the end of the High Dyke branch on ex British Steel lines.

D2381 was one of Bill McAlpine's locos.

341366486_Sewstern03D2381withFlyingScotsmanspareboilerJuly73J3237.jpg.fee4bd4c2ad4ad0ea6b9c50b2c9bca1b.jpg

Sewstern 03 D2381 with Flying Scotsman spare boiler July 73 J3237.jpg

514736341_SewsternA34472FlyingScotsmanOct73C1433.jpg.ea4bd518e89a7c6397e7bb3a0d5d37f4.jpg

Sewstern A3 4472 Flying Scotsman Oct 73 C1433.jpg

1893945040_Sewstern03D2381shuntingBarclayHarlaxtonandLMSvanOct74J4054.jpg.dd0bd21282994dd4eabe0ffd4dc863df.jpg

Sewstern 03 D2381 shunting Barclay Harlaxton and LMS van Oct 74 J4054.jpg

555621685_MarketOvertonSmithRodleysteamcraneOct73C1417.jpg.4cec5c39a117d08b468696887825757a.jpg

Market Overton Smith Rodley steam crane Oct73 C1417.jpg

73601621_MarketOvertonA34472FlyingScotsmanOct73C1437.jpg.8d40af6705cf38b5b19344af21911648.jpg

Market Overton A3 4472 Flying Scotsman Oct 73 C1437.jpg

990885059_MarketOvertonAvonsideFredOct73C1419.jpg.fb0c811ec1dca796c5e47287daf8fab3.jpg

Market Overton Avonside Fred Oct 73 C1419.jpg

David

Yet more stunning photos Dave, once again many thanks for sharing your considerable archive with the rest of us. So much interest and history.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

This morning's photos are once again from Sewstern and Market Overton, beyond the end of the High Dyke branch on ex British Steel lines.

D2381 was one of Bill McAlpine's locos.

341366486_Sewstern03D2381withFlyingScotsmanspareboilerJuly73J3237.jpg.fee4bd4c2ad4ad0ea6b9c50b2c9bca1b.jpg

Sewstern 03 D2381 with Flying Scotsman spare boiler July 73 J3237.jpg

What happened to the second wagon, I wonder? It's a Flatrol WLL/ELL, originally built to transport the M6 'Super Sherman' . The tank never went beyond prototype stage, but quite a few wagons were built. The BSC plant my father worked at (Landore Foundry) used them to transport the largest ingot moulds (weighing about 65 tons) to Llanwern and Ravenscraig. Others were used in conjunction with Transformer wagons to carry components for power stations.

• Thanks 1