Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Firstly about the upgrade to Windows 10, 1809. I’m a member of the AskWoody site which deals with all matters Windows related, and you don’t ever let your PC upgrade in that way. However, if you have, then the best advice is to turn off all the settings that you don’t either want or use, and then let it settle down for a week. If it’s 10 pro, then you can put off all updates and upgrades for six months, I think Im right in saying. Hopefully by then, the bugs will have been ironed out, and it will be much safer to upgrade and update.

Now I really like the Bressingham photo’s, which show how things were there in the early ‘70’s. I do like Royal Scott in the last photo’, which makes a magnificent sight in steam.

The GCR to Grimsby photo’s show how thecrailway has changed very a relatively short period of time. Quite remarkable, and I suppose needed too.

I can’t say the roof at Grimsby station is particularly good, very austere and clinical. Cold and uninviting. I suppose it’s good the station buildings managed to survive relatively intact.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Firstly about the upgrade to Windows 10, 1809. I’m a member of the AskWoody site which deals with all matters Windows related, and you don’t ever let your PC upgrade in that way. However, if you have, then the best advice is to turn off all the settings that you don’t either want or use, and then let it settle down for a week. If it’s 10 pro, then you can put off all updates and upgrades for six months, I think Im right in saying. Hopefully by then, the bugs will have been ironed out, and it will be much safer to upgrade and update.

Now I really like the Bressingham photo’s, which show how things were there in the early ‘70’s. I do like Royal Scott in the last photo’, which makes a magnificent sight in steam.

The GCR to Grimsby photo’s show how thecrailway has changed very a relatively short period of time. Quite remarkable, and I suppose needed too.

I can’t say the roof at Grimsby station is particularly good, very austere and clinical. Cold and uninviting. I suppose it’s good the station buildings managed to survive relatively intact.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Thanks Rob,

Things have settled down this evening.    When I was at work we often found that this sort of issue resolved itself over a weekend when no one was using the system. 

I've never really understood why but simply leaving a PC (or server) switched on doing nothing can solve all sorts of minor problems.

Now I just have a small issue with Photoshop, I should know the solution but cannot remember it, some reading may be called for.

As for Grimsby - its a place I knew well in the early 60s as we sometimes used the harbour there with Dad's boat, as did other members of the yacht club we belonged to.

I always thought it was a town which was simply shut at weekends, as there never seemed to be anything happening at all then - though the docks were fascinating to walk round.

In those days there were lots of sidings often holding wagons loaded with timber.

It was always interesting to go in and out of the harbour for a stop off when going up or down the Humber en route to somewhere else

David

• Like 3

Hi Dave,

Over the last few years, I have looked forward to viewing your pictures on a regular basis, they have always given me pleasure especially when viewing an era or location that still seems fresh in my memory. Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you so much for the time and effort you have put in, it is very much appreciated.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Firstly, I hope it all works out with this forum and that it will return as scheduled in two days time. I’ll miss your excellent photo’s each day, especially with the snow that is being forecast, they would have been particularly good to look forward to.

Well, I like tonight’s photo’s, from Workington, along the Cumbrian Coast Line. All so full of interest and so nostalgic. I like, in particular, C8386, of St Bees, on the 22nd April, 1987, and also the following photo’ too. A good array of buildings along with the footbridge. It would make a great model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, DaveF said:

First, I'm going to wait a day or so to see if the rest of the photos appear, if not I'll start to put them back - but it will take some time if I have to!

Today's photos are from the Blyth and Tyne, between Ashington and Lynemouth.

I think it will take me a few days to work out how to do this easily, especially adding the captions.  I think I know how to do it......

Meanwhile I hope the captions are in the right places.

565083917_SleekburnviaductClass101TheLynemouthLinkAlcanLynemouthtoNorthBlythSun21stSept86C8143.jpg.88072185502019476a971120a5e074ef.jpg

Sleekburn viaduct  Class 101 The Lynemouth Link Alcan Lynemouth to North Blyth Sun 21st Sept 86 C8143

1402457246_WoodhorntrackbedofNewbigginbranch21stSept86C8120.jpg.acead5d07ed3a423874990c3113aba39.jpg

Woodhorn trackbed of Newbiggin branch 21st Sept 86 C8120

159272905_LynemouthClass37downAug80J7113.jpg.c17da7538854d912679530e2189b9b88.jpg

Lynemouth Class 37 down Aug 80 J7113

1525413389_LynemouthNCBClass14No4andClass37downAug80J7115.jpg.e6b613920dd517e2802db5b80517b3c4.jpg

Lynemouth NCB Class 14 No4 and Class 37 down Aug 80 J7115

1432965178_LynemouthNCBwagonsandAlcanpowerstationAug80J7110.jpg.d0de10a973cb3370a75693eeaa469fab.jpg

Lynemouth NCB wagons and Alcan power station Aug 80 J7110

Edited to remove some unwanted bits added in error while I was copying and pasting the captions - nearly sorted it now.

David

Hi David, looks like your photos have worked OK on the 'new look' website! Love the picture of Sleekburn Viaduct! My brother-in-law lives in Morpeth and when visiting Northumberland I've tried to get a photo of the viaduct with a train for a number of years without success! He notes that his Dad used to cross the river using the viaduct when coming back from the pub 'back in the day!!

Thanks again for the wonderful photos, Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Sorry, but unable to ‘like’ your lovely photo’s in the usual way since I can’t access the ‘like’ button.  Please add on a definite ‘like’ from myself. 

All the Blyth and Tyne photo’s are so lovely andbring back happy memories. I like them all. In particular, the one of J7115, at Lynemouth, with the  NCB Class 14 number 4, and class 37 on a down train, in August, 1980, shows a great combination of the two locomotives, and just look at all the overhead wiring, which is something rarely seen on a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. Sorry, but unable to ‘like’ your lovely photo’s in the usual way since I can’t access the ‘like’ button.  Please add on a definite ‘like’ from myself. 

All the Blyth and Tyne photo’s are so lovely andbring back happy memories. I like them all. In particular, the one of J7115, at Lynemouth, with the  NCB Class 14 number 4, and class 37 on a down train, in August, 1980, shows a great combination of the two locomotives, and just look at all the overhead wiring, which is something rarely seen on a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Many thanks Rob.

You should be able to see the "like" button on the right hand side as a "thumbs up"  Clicking it gives a like, if you hover the cursor over it it expands to give agree etc.  It is opposite the yellow box with a plus in it for "Quote".

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Alcanman said:

Is the path that leads to the ECML at Plessey? I remember cycling from Blyth to Plessey back in 1966 when I was lucky enough to catch 60024 'Kingfisher' and 60835 'The Green Howards. The photos are poor, taken with my old Brownie 127.

It will eventually to take you to Plessey but I was standing just east of the end of Plessey Road in Newsham, at the side of Blyth golf course.

I like you photos.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, Dave. But no matter how hard and long I click the Like button, it is not reacting in any way. Please accept my Like for today’s photo’s, and let’s hope that problem gets sorted out very soon.

I really love the ECML photo’s which do bring back happy memories. In particular, I like the one at Ulgham Grange crossing, with a moody looking class  37 on a down permanent way train in July, 1980, J7047.

Again I like all of the lovely photo’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the lovely photo’s of the Tanfield Railway. They certainly had a good collection of stock back then. I particularly like C8320, at Marley Hill, with Barclay number 32 on the 19th April, 1987. Such a lovely little engine. Perfect for a small layout.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the lovely photo’s of the Tanfield Railway. They certainly had a good collection of stock back then. I particularly like C8320, at Marley Hill, with Barclay number 32 on the 19th April, 1987. Such a lovely little engine. Perfect for a small layout.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Rob,

I'm pleased to see your "Like" button is working again now.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1