Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Loughborough Central photo’s. So good to see the variety of stock, and especially the D11, number 508 in C1998, on the 26th April, 1975. 

And that’s a fantastic set of ECML photo’s in Northumberland. In the first photo’ at Morpeth, 56129 makes a splendid sight at the head of a down MGR empties train, on the 10th April, 1985.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

It could either be a 46 not working the air con or a loco covering for a failure, or a NE/SW train formed of the stock.

Sadly we will never be sure as I don't have any more details of the photo.

It puzzled me which is why I was vague about the loco.

David

It is probably 45114 a little off the beaten track. A thread here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108118-why-Bachmann-class-45-45114-livery/

leads us to 45114 due to the lack of bodyside stripes.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Thanks once again Dave for some most interesting photos. Notwithstanding that the area might now be converted to colour-light signals (I haven't personally been over that route for a few years), but I think that these days the Signal Sighting Committee might have something to say about the "clash" between the signal and footbridge in C7387.

Regards, Ian?

Thanks once again Dave for some most interesting photos. Notwithstanding that the area might now be converted to colour-light signals (I haven't personally been over that route for a few years), but I think that these days the Signal Sighting Committee might have something to say about the "clash" between the signal and footbridge in C7387.

Regards, Ian?

The view from the footplate is most probably not as bad as it looks in the photo. I came across much worse during my time as a driver. Strong backlightinh behind a semaphore was the worse, especially at night, as you jusst couldn't see them against any intense lighting behind them. Obstructions in front of a signal didn't pose a great problem, as then could usually be sighted at some point on the approach. if the distant/previous signal was on, you just approached slowly until you got a clear sight of the signal. Spottinh semaphore signals against a cluttered background was all part of route learning, and some of the ruses to get yourself to look at the right spot in the distance, where quite imaginative.

Paul J.

Regards, Ian?

The distant is still there and is for Milton Levl Crossing Box.

• RMweb Premium

Regards, Ian?

Hi Ian

I think it is the angle of the photo, as Paul mentions. The same signal can be seen towering above, well higher than the bridge in C7620

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s. A great set and so full of interest. In J3351, at Low Row, the class 101 DMU, on a Carlisle to Newcastle service, in August, 1973, is actually a mixed formation. You have a three car 101 set, DMBS, TSL and DMCL. Then a two car class 108, Derby Leightweight set, DMBS and DTCL. You can nicely see the difference on enlarging the photo’, for the cab windows are much deeper on the 108 DMBS, and the passenger saloon windows are both deeper and set lower down. Finally the roof vents are shell rather than Greenwood and AirVac on the class 101 roofs.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Regards, Ian?

The semaphore at Wymondham was almost totally hidden by the footbridge. Driver could see it ok when stopped but guard for despatch had to really look hard, specially after dark, the lights weren't very good. Replaced on resignalling with LED below the bridge. But oddly Thetford had a double arm semaphore because of being hidden by the platform canopy

Regards, Ian?

The semaphore at Wymondham was almost totally hidden by the footbridge. Driver could see it ok when stopped but guard for despatch had to really look hard, specially after dark, the lights weren't very good. Replaced on resignalling with LED below the bridge. But oddly Thetford had a double arm semaphore because of being hidden by the platform canopy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian

I think it is the angle of the photo, as Paul mentions. The same signal can be seen towering above, well higher than the bridge in C7620

Many thanks Clive, I should have scrutinised C7620 a lot closer.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

This shot taken April this year from another angle. It does look a bit difficult to see perhaps.

post-8314-0-12684000-1533585991_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

This shot taken April this year from another angle. It does look a bit difficult to see perhaps.

From a lot further back, the distant would have been a lot easier to see. That was more important to a driver when spotting a distant signal. I knew a few places where I wanted to know if the Distant was on or off long before I got to it, on accout of the stopping distance being a bit tight for some types of trains at speed. Stopped at a station in the photo and spotting the distant was not important, as you would have a slow start away, and not be up to much speed before you reached the 1st home signal the distant was acting for. I would be more worried on the encroachment of the trees to the left of shot, especially when they had leaves on.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

From a lot further back, the distant would have been a lot easier to see. That was more important to a driver when spotting a distant signal. I knew a few places where I wanted to know if the Distant was on or off long before I got to it, on accout of the stopping distance being a bit tight for some types of trains at speed. Stopped at a station in the photo and spotting the distant was not important, as you would have a slow start away, and not be up to much speed before you reached the 1st home signal the distant was acting for. I would be more worried on the encroachment of the trees to the left of shot, especially when they had leaves on.

Paul J.

I checked my other pics and the platform is dead straight - I had thought that if it curved slightly then the signal may be more visible because of the angle of the steps. However I do agree that it would be more visible further back on the line and, also, on the simple principle that it would have been changed by now if it was a real problem (hopefully).

Back to the main subject of this thread - great to see all of these pictures from all over the rail system which allow us such comparisons and discussion. Thanks again Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Nottingham electrification exhibition train Oct 71 J2784

What kind of joke exhibition was this - it's now 2018 47 years later and still no mainline wires in Nottingham just the trams with are also only in the last decade.

Nottingham was just getting rid of household accumulators and going over to the mains!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Nottingham Midland photo’s, which are full of interest. I particularly like the last photo’ from October, 1971, with a 47 on a train of Mk1 stock on a down service, 1D07. Some stock was still in maroon that year, and it would be a while longer before it all was repainted into blue and grey.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

That's not the same signal.

If you look closely the original has been replaced.

Originally (on Dave's pictures) it was a distant on a post that had originally had a home above it.

The later pictures show a different post with just a distant near the top and an elf & safety ladder.

https://goo.gl/maps/mfXLpjMZF4x

keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Nottingham electrification exhibition train Oct 71 J2784

What kind of joke exhibition was this - it's now 2018 47 years later and still no mainline wires in Nottingham just the trams with are also only in the last decade.

It had probably turned up late for the promotion of the woodhead electrification from Rotherwood to Whitemoor!

That would have been fantastic if it had happened

• RMweb Premium

The coaches converted to form it are interesting, the van at this end could be an exL&Y brake, with the others being slab sided, so possibly Syphons?

Andy G

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

The exhibition train is very interesting as I have not seen these vehicles used in any other exhibition train. At that time they were being run by Trainex (Exhibitions on the Move) and Rea Mobile Marketing and I don't remember any stock like this, though the two further vehicles could possibly be ex LNER vans, could they?. Neither the train nor the venue is in any of the lists (see my articles in the HMRS Journal if you really want to be bored to death on the subject). Do you have any other photos of it?

Jonathan David

Edited by corneliuslundie