Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Small correction to the photos of Gunby, she is a member of the Hunslet 50550 class and not an Austerity tank. Whilst there are similarities and the 18" classes of 41850 and 50550 can certainly be looked on as precursors to the Austerity tanks there are a number of detailed differences in the designs, such as split brass side rod bearings, deep buffer beams, sloping bunker back and cast steel wheels instead of cast iron used on the Austerity tanks.

• Thanks 1

The thread that just keeps on giving! I notice in your shot of 'Clun Castle' at Fenny in '72 that the old S&MJ line bridge is still in place, there's just a gap between the brick abutments now.

It must be at least a couple of years since I wrote in here that I was worried the thread may die one day once the supply of photographs runs out, but here we are on page 645...!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Southside 37112 down freight 20 20 17th June 87 C8560.jpg   The second wagons is one of only 9 side tippers, I assume one of the five for Thompson Magnesium lime

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/sidetippta

Southside sidings NCB wagons Aug 80 J7122  A nice photograph which shows how, with a little care, wooden bodied and framed wagons could remain in good condition - rather different to the appearance of steel wagons in similar use after a few years.

Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of Southside. They are all full of interest, and I particularly like C8551, with 47407, on the 19.23 Berwick to Newcastle service, on the 17th June, 1987. I’m guessing that it would have been a DMU replacement working.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hmrspaul said:

Southside 37112 down freight 20 20 17th June 87 C8560.jpg   The second wagons is one of only 9 side tippers, I assume one of the five for Thompson Magnesium lime

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/sidetippta

Southside sidings NCB wagons Aug 80 J7122  A nice photograph which shows how, with a little care, wooden bodied and framed wagons could remain in good condition - rather different to the appearance of steel wagons in similar use after a few years.

Paul

There are two of Thompson's wagons in that view; the rest look like the Procor PSAs on hire to Steetley. They went to Montrose, elsewhere in Eastern Scotland, and occasionally Stranraer Town, carrying Dolime that was used to correct a deficency in grazing pastures.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

C8560. Interesting to see what appears to be a stay wire holding the signal vertical - or at least stopping it from leaning too far towards the four-foot. Had a few similar problems with OLE masts and D&I sites across Fenham Bog.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s going north from Darlington. All are of such interest and oozing with nostalgia. The first one, at Darlington, with 37513 and 37507, on an up light engine movement, on the 26th February, 1987, shows the two 37’s off so well despite the gloomy weather. The second  photo’, C8209, with 143009, on a Bishop Auckland to Saltburn service, on the 21st February, 1987, has an interesting sign on the left proclaiming, ‘This is not an authorised walking route’. I haven’t seen too many such signs.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Grantham to Nottingham photo’s, at Bottesford, which are all so full of interest. I particularly like J7508, with 45129 on a diverted St Pancras to Sheffield service in June, 1981. The Peak looks most imposing at the head of that long train of Mk1 carriages. Interesting to see relaying work taking place in J8087, with 31324, in October, 1983. You can see a big 2 on the platform in the foreground where two cars DMU’s had to stop by.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the fascinating Scottish photo’s which are all full of interest. In particular, C7032, at Prestonpans, with a three car class 101 DMU, on a North Berwick to Edinburgh service, on the 21st of August, 1086, shows that the leading DMSL has retained the four lamp cab end, but in the last photo’, C7933, the rear DMSL, has had the top and bottom middle lamps removed. Quite typical of how the cabs were treated on these units.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave

Truly familiar territory for me today  I was born at Drem and we lived in a farm cottage there till I was about 2.69 years later I m still watching trains but now at Longniddry! 

The footbridge the photo was taken from is now at Settle being sent there when the Electrification clearance bridge was installed.

C7912  The area of overgrown grassland on the left is the trackbed of the Monktonhall Junction to Wantoon Walls line. Today this is the exact location of Musselburgh Station and the area is now a car park while he field is now occupied by the Queen Margaret University.

C7932   The train is approaching Meadowmills Bridge and is passing over the crossover giving access to Blindwells Loading point from the up line.Blindwells was beyond the bridge behind the photographer and is now to be covered with housing.

C7933 Looking west towards Prestonpans Station with the Bridge carrying the A198 over the entrance to the sidings for Cockenzie Power Station on the right

Thank you for letting us see them

Edited by Steamysandy
Additional info
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Interesting pictures as ever David.

I can't quite reconcile how the Peak + Mk1s (#7508) would be a St Pan - Sheff train going via Bottesford. Might it not be a train to/from Skegness? I think nearly all the St Pan - Sheff workings by this period were Mk2a/c stock.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I can't quite reconcile how the Peak + Mk1s (#7508) would be a St Pan - Sheff train going via Bottesford. Might it not be a train to/from Skegness? I think nearly all the St Pan - Sheff workings by this period were Mk2a/c stock.

Peter,

I have to admit I wondered about that too.

I don't have my slide catalogues handy at the moment, but I think it was a day when there were some diversions as well as loco hauled trains to and from Skegness, so I could have got it wrong.

David

Hi Dave

On looking again at C7932 I've got it the wrong way round.

The top of the Blindwells Loading plant is visible above the bridge making it the  west Meadowmill Bridge and your location is the bridge into the Sports complex

On the far side of the bridge were at once time the remains of the bridge where the Tranent and Cockenzie wagonway crossed the mainline .

This is the site of the Battle of Pfestonpans

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I had exactly the same thought last night. Having dug around in Railway Observers for that period, however, I did discover that there was a landslip on the Midland main line south of Leicester at the beginning of June 1981, which resulted in several Sheffield services being diverted to/from King's Cross. There's a photograph in the August 1981 Railway Observer of a 'Peak' on a down Sheffield service, climbing Holloway Bank, on 2nd June. Perhaps that's the answer?

Edited by 35A
Comma in the wrong place!
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

15 hours ago, 35A said:

I had exactly the same thought last night. Having dug around in Railway Observers for that period, however, I did discover that there was a landslip on the Midland main line south of Leicester at the beginning of June 1981, which resulted in several Sheffield services being diverted to/from King's Cross. There's a photograph in the August 1981 Railway Observer of a 'Peak' on a down Sheffield service, climbing Holloway Bank, on 2nd June. Perhaps that's the answer?

I've had a look at Dad's notes and he says the 45 was on a diverted St Pancras to Nottingham train and that  the diversion was due to the landslip near Desford.

Although he didn't write the date in full, he just put June, it was the first photo he took that month, so 2nd June seems likely.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the York photo’s which are full of interest and nostalgia. In the first photo’, of a class 47, D1514, on a Leeds to Newcastle train, in August, 1965, J242, the fifth Mk1 from the 47, carries the coaching stock roundel, with Restaurant Car lettering, which surely makes it an RSO. You certainly don’t have trains like that on that service anymore. A single class 185 on Transpennine Express these days.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the York photo’s which are full of interest and nostalgia. In the first photo’, of a class 47, D1514, on a Leeds to Newcastle train, in August, 1965, J242, the fifth Mk1 from the 47, carries the coaching stock roundel, with Restaurant Car lettering, which surely makes it an RSO. You certainly don’t have trains like that on that service anymore. A single class 185 on Transpennine Express these days.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Along similar lines, I love the caption on C7868; ...."extra Derby to York 3rd Aug".... wonder when last time 'extra' services were run?

Best wishes, Andy

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DaveF said:

I've had a look at Dad's notes and he says the 45 was on a diverted St Pancras to Nottingham train and that  the diversion was due to the landslip near Desford.

Although he didn't write the date in full, he just put June, it was the first photo he took that month, so 2nd June seems likely.

David

Could Desford have been Desborough? There was a landslip there around that time.

I left school on the 20th June and remember spending an afternoon watching the passenger services diverted over the Corby line from a spot in the former station yard next  to the goods shed. It lasted a couple of days if I remember, but earlier in the month would have been in the exam period so I could have been on study leave when it happened. What better way to do that than to study history in the making, everything I’d have viewed that day bar for the former down line platform is now history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1