Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

No. The famous snow event was June 2nd 1975, and resulted in the tv footage of the snow covered cricket ground at Buxton.

The test matches in 1976 were later in the season, because the inaugural ODI World Cup took place in June that year.

No you don't sit corrected, Mr controller. I'm afraid it is I who have got that second part wrong.

The inaugural World Cup was 1975 according to Cricinfo.

Sorry.

(And apologies to DaveF for hi-jacking your excellent photo thread with weather and cricket).

Edited by jonny777

first test 3 - 8 June 76 at Trent Bridge (so possibly we should move this part of the thread to the East Midlands miscellany thread).

Must haev been school hols (whitsun) because I remember watching the first day's play on telly -

Guest B Exam

Lovely photos.

Pilot scheme Class 20 in the Belvoir Jn photo. Oval buffers and solid fluteless equilising beams on the visable bogie.

The Class 47 at High Dyke is more likely to be hauling the 11:30 Kings Cross-Harrogate. This was an 8-coach so-called "high speed" set - formation 3TSO(Mk2a), RB(Mk1), RU(Mk1), 2FO(Mk1), BFK(Mk2a). The reporting number was 1N13, so maybe the 1 has been wrongly set as a 5.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi, DaveF, another excellent selection of photo's, many thanks for posting them. The class 40, 40 257 on the down express passenger, October '72 is interesting in that the crew of the 40 may have made an error with the discs. There are three open, when, of course, it should just be the bottom two, one above each buffer. And yes the emu in the snow is a great photograph. Thanks again, and look forward to more photo's.

Allt the best,

Market65.

• Like 1

I recall seeing some distant railway shots looking down on a Railway goods yard in the 1960 film Saturday Night And Sunday Morning, can anyone confirm its the Nottingham Midland Goods Yard in the film

• Like 1

Finally a Class 45 on the Midland at Ratcliffe on Soar in an early version of BR blue, but where are the arrows of indecision?

attachicon.gifClass 45 probably D50 Kings Shropshire Light Infantry up ex pass Sheffield to St Pancras Ratcliffe on Soar September 1967 J1135.jpg

Class 45 probably D50 Kings Shropshire Light Infantry up ex pass Sheffield to St Pancras Ratcliffe on Soar September 1967 J1135

David

Those two 45s look as if they are some of those painted in 'Not Rail Blue', probably at Toton. Some of them apparently carried the BR crest (Merchant Navy namelate shape).

p.s. Second reference should have been D52 at Nottingham. Got lost in the 'Multiquote system.

Edited by Poor Old Bruce
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Personally, I'd go for tablet catcher fitted D5672.

Mike.

Mike,

On looking at it closely you are right.  Many thanks.

I should have known as I do have several photos of D5672 in the area.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, DaveF, what excellent photo's these are. I see in the one of class 40 D276, that it still has the bogie mechanical lubricator fitted. I love all that snow!

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 1

Finally a Class 45 on the Midland at Ratcliffe on Soar in an early version of BR blue, but where are the arrows of indecision?

attachicon.gifClass 45 probably D50 Kings Shropshire Light Infantry up ex pass Sheffield to St Pancras Ratcliffe on Soar September 1967 J1135.jpg

Class 45 probably D50 Kings Shropshire Light Infantry up ex pass Sheffield to St Pancras Ratcliffe on Soar September 1967 J1135

David

Excellent pictures as ever David.

Nobody seems to have pointed out that the cooling towers on Ratcliffe PS hadn't been completed by this date. Take a look at the one furthest left as it's still under construction.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, DaveF, excellent selection of photo's. The HST reminds me of summer Saturday's on the Hull to Scarborough line, in 1991, when in spite of some tight curvature on that line, an HST service ran over the line. I think it was from Kings Cross, but I stand to be corrected on this. The ballast train reminds me of reballasting work at Beverley in late 1983, were a class 40 - unidentified - ran over the newly relaid down line between the station and Cherry Tree crossing - it was groaning and really moving up and down the relaid track which had not yet been tamped! The 40 kept on the rails in spite of that.

Memories come forth from your wonderful photo's, please post more of them. Many thanks.

All the best,

Market65.