Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Livery on the 108  at Dalston looks very smart any idea why it had those embellishments ?

Looks like an attempt at the original DMU livery but with a yellow panel.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carnforth, going north along the Cumbrian Coast line photo’s which are full of interest. Good shots of class 108’s and in the last one at Dalston with the green class 108 unit on a Carlisle to Whitehaven service on the 22nd April, 1987, you can see how they wrongly painted cream whiskers over the small yellow warning panel. It was always either or, but never both at the same time. Indeed the whiskers were first to be applied and then, in 1962 came the small yellow warning panels. Finally full yellow cab ends from c1965.

Now, Daisy is the preserved class 101 unit, the class 108 was sadly scrapped after withdrawal from service. Daisy can currently be seen at work on the NYMR and I had a ride in her in early April pf this year.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Photo 14393:- this looks as though it could be almost all the Procor PSA in one train; I think only 30 or so were built.

The Capper Pass PSA's were working to Leeds Balm Road (now the Freightliner maintenance depot)  as a block train, later replaced by Tiphook  ferry boxes.

Mark Saunders

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Peak District photo’s which are all most interesting. They convey, perfectly, how, in particular, it was at Peak Forest in April, 1990. The last photo’, C14420, with 37680 and 37686, show a good plume of exhaust as they power the up train through. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from south of Stoke on the ECML. They are all very interesting and full of nostalgia. In J3153, at Burton le Coggles, with Deltic class 55, 9019, on an Edinburgh to Kings Cross express in March, 1973, you can see how majestic the Deltics were at the head of such an express. The HST in the last photo’ at High Dyke, in February, 1983, is beautifully composed and captures the sleek lines of those trains. Soon they, like the Deltics, will be but a memory over the ECML.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

J3153: is that three catering vehicles? Looks like an RFO + RU and an RMB further back. 

That's what I think too.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Heaton Norris Junction and Manchester photo’s. They are all full of interest and nostalgia. In C14069, at Manchester Oxford Road, on the 3rd March, 1990, the class 104’s DMSL cab end, below the cab windows, shows the characteristic markings from repeated banging from the air pipe when it comes off it’s dummy  socket, and the adjacent track has quite a dogs leg, at a joint in it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Fabulous photos. I vaguely remember Manchester Oxford Road and Piccadilly from the mid-1980s as a kid, with the 304 EMUs, 104 DMUs on the Buxtons not to mention the 85,86 and 87s humming away under the roof.  One of those all time abiding memories if I ever had the space to model it!

Following along with interest on the photos!  Thanks for posting.

Rich

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/08/2019 at 20:39, Western Aviator said:

J3153: is that three catering vehicles? Looks like an RFO + RU and an RMB further back. 

Quite common in the '70s on the ECML.

Depending on the service, you could have RU+RB or RU+RMB. I think the RKBs tended to run 'solo'.

The seated dining coach is likely an RUO, 8 bays of 2+1 loose seats, as the ER favoured these. 

• Thanks 1

Just a note, re: J2838.

D1628 was the unfortunate loco that ended up on its side at New England North Junction in 1974, whilst (as 47 046) attempting to take the turnout from the ECML down fast to the Stamford lines at speed. Later to go on and be reengined as the test bed loco for both the Class 56 (as 47 601) and the Class 58 (as 47 901).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1