Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Yes, happy birthday, and i can report that life does not end at 70.

I don't think I would bother going anywhere to photograph zoomers, not even Swayfield, but people seem to do so. I agree that going back to places is not always a good idea. Even six years can see a lot of change both in the place and in yourself.

Swayfield was evidently a very good place to photograph trains, but i wonder if you could actually see them through the undergrowth these days.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know exactly what you mean, David, about not revisiting places. I have never revisited any of the properties that I have owned - and only viewed my old childhood home when visiting erstwhile neighbours of my parents.

Recently I retraced a journey that we used to make several times a year, to the coast. Not living in the area any more, it was fascinating to see how the road network has changed (at times I had only the faintest idea of where I was, with all the bypasses etc.). A number of the places that we used to look out for, as children, were still there but much had changed on the journey. Likewise, many of our old railway haunts.

Like you, I spent many happy Saturday or Sunday afternoons on that stretch of the ECML, although usually further south at Little Bytham, Greatford or Tallington (as per my avatar, which was one of my father's photographs, although I would have been with him). I've observed them from the railway many times in recent years but I don't recall having been to any of those locations by road since the early 1980s. That's why your (and your dad's) photographs bring so much pleasure.

Anyway, congratulations on clocking up another decade. You are marginally my senior and so I doff my (metaphorical) cap to you and send you my best wishes. Take care of that shoulder!

Edited by 35A
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I know what you mean about not going back again to places like Swayfield. It would indeed come as a bad shock to see all the changes that have taken place over the years. I think these lovely photo’s are the best way to revisit places and help to recapture memories. There’s really no need to physically visit such places when such excellent photo’s exist.

So these Swayfield photo’s are all excellent, and it’s always good to see the ECML at that location in those heady days of Deltics, 47’s and even the HST’s in original condition. 

I particularly like J5817, with class 47, 47430, on a Newcastle to Kings Cross express train in September, 1977. It looks like the third carriage is a griddle car, but I’m only too happy to be corrected if it is not.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Many happy returns Dave, hope you have a lovely day (despite the shoulder).

As Rob says, J5817 shows a dia.30 Griddle car. IIRC E1102 was an ECML regular and the last of the type in regular use. 1100-2 were converts  from dia.16 RFs.

The dia.31 Griddles (1103-5) were, by this time, all in Scotland (Glasgow/Edinburgh-Aberdeen/Inverness services)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Many Happy Returns for the day Dave.

I really like this thread particularly the North East items as i originate from Northumberland

and being employed on the railway everything else is interesting too.

Regards,

Trev.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Many happy returns.

I know what you mean about returning to places, although some have improved. What has changed is that back then we went and photographed what turned up, as no-one knew what was running on a particular day, whereas these days with opentrains and realtimetrains you know what to expect.

I only wish that I had more pocket money back in the day, but even with Tru-print, I had to selectively take photographs compared to todays digital freedom.

Regards,

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a note to say thank you to everyone who wished me a Happy Birthday yesterday, also for the good wishes for the speedy recovery of my shoulder.

They are very much appreciated.

Now I must get on with sorting out the next batch of photos!

David

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A belated Happy Birthday Dave, thank you so much for sharing the photo's with us. Really like the last lot, a little bit out of my rail watching period but I love the different liveries around at that time. The pics of 37 051 and 26 032 are just mouth watering! 

Steve.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy Birthday Dave..... Sorry about the shoulder though .... speedy recovery.

Photos are the bee's knee's especially the Carlisle one's....

Carlisle 86401 and 86416 up coil 27th Oct 89 C13829.jpg

Health & Safety..... What was he thinking about???? .... Great capture

Jim

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photo’s which are full of interest. Although the sun may not always shine there, the railway more than helps to make up for that. The photo’s show that very clearly.

I particularly like C13830, the last one, with 26032 on an up light engine movement, on the 27th October, 1989. It’s a great portrait of the 26 and shows some good weathering effects too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Great weathering effects on several of the locos.

Those phones do seem to be in places where the users would be vulnerable. Not so much the driver's attitude to H&S but those who put the phones there.

In answer to the specific question i suspect the answer is "When for Pete's sake am i going to get home for tea?"

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jcarta said:

Happy Birthday Dave..... Sorry about the shoulder though .... speedy recovery.

Photos are the bee's knee's especially the Carlisle one's....

Carlisle 86401 and 86416 up coil 27th Oct 89 C13829.jpg

Health & Safety..... What was he thinking about???? .... Great capture

Jim

58 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Great weathering effects on several of the locos.

Those phones do seem to be in places where the users would be vulnerable. Not so much the driver's attitude to H&S but those who put the phones there.

In answer to the specific question i suspect the answer is "When for Pete's sake am i going to get home for tea?"

Jonathan

About those phones.

At that point there are four tracks, the outermost ones are platform roads (the two through roads under the main station roof).   The other two tracks (the one with the 26 and the one to its right) are now used as goods lines and are fully signaled.

Before the goods avoiding line was closed after the Freightliner runaway the loops were, I believe, used for stock stabling, shunting etc.  I think the telephones date from then and were left in after the lines started to be used for through traffic on a regular basis.

I am sure other RMWeb members who live in the area will know far more than me about this.

David

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, DaveF said:

About those phones.

At that point there are four tracks, the outermost ones are platform roads (the two through roads under the main station roof).   The other two tracks (the one with the 26 and the one to its right) are now used as goods lines and are fully signaled.

Before the goods avoiding line was closed after the Freightliner runaway the loops were, I believe, used for stock stabling, shunting etc.  I think the telephones date from then and were left in after the lines started to be used for through traffic on a regular basis.

I am sure other RMWeb members who live in the area will know far more than me about this.

David

Belated Birthday Wishes Dave, hope the shoulder is on the mend.

Regarding the SPT the driver is using in C13829, I'm a bit surprised he is using that particular phone as his train is in the platform and effectively stood at a different signal to that which the phone he is using is associated with - unless of course he tried the other phone (presumably on the platform) and found it faulty, so he is using the next available working SPT.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1