Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Clapham Junction photo’s which are fascinating and so nostalgic. The last one, C9574, of class 423, 3053, on a down service, on the 27th July, 1988, is a great photo’ of the unit. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Clapham Junction photo’s which are fascinating and so nostalgic. The last one, C9574, of class 423, 3053, on a down service, on the 27th July, 1988, is a great photo’ of the unit. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

And the signal - it's looking a bit distressed.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, DY444 said:

That one's a Class 423 or 4VEP in old money :good_mini:

Thanks, I'm not sure how that one slipped through - I ought to know emus by now!

I've corrected the caption.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Strathspey Railway photo’s which are full of interest. In the first one, with the LMS Class 5 5025, and the Caledonian Railway tender of 828 and the tender of 2-6-0, 46464, on the drawbeam of 828’s tender, you can see the offset three link coupling which surprises me a bit. I thought it would have centrally positioned if nothing else.

The photo’s of the ECML at Ulgham Lane crossing are fantastic and a further excellent reminder of how it was before electrification.

In, C11886, with HST comprised of power cars 43074 and 43044 on an up express on the 27th May, 1989, you have captured a beautiful scene with the oilseed rape, the train and the blue sky. Just such a beautiful scene and one which is crying out to be transformed into an oil painting. Indeed, it’s the kind of scene that cannot, and I’m somewhat laying down the gauntlet here, be recreated in a model. Only a painting.

And in the last photo’, those gates would, in true NER tradition, open outwards to the road, not over the railway, when the crossing was required to be used by road users. It was that arrangement at Kilnwick crossing between Beverley and Driffield, back in June, 1976, which led to a tragedy with a class 101 DMU and a car crashing into each other. I believe it was that crash which woke BR up and those crossing had to, finally, be changed to AHB’s or open crossings.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, beast66606 said:

And the signal - it's looking a bit distressed.

That's because WF38 is a new signal. A junction has been removed immediately in advance of it; the feather belongs to an OOU signal, I think, which was for that junction. The photo was taken while the Waterloo Area Resignalling Scheme was in progress. Less than 5 months later, the terrible "Clapham Junction" collision occurred, during the next phase of the scheme.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 62613 said:

That's because WF38 is a new signal. A junction has been removed immediately in advance of it; the feather belongs to an OOU signal, I think, which was for that junction. The photo was taken while the Waterloo Area Resignalling Scheme was in progress. Less than 5 months later, the terrible "Clapham Junction" collision occurred, during the next phase of the scheme.

I realise the connection has been removed and the feather has been bagged as has what appears to be a post mounted shunt. I can't see an aspect in WF38, so I think the signals are the other way around, the one behind WF38 is still in use but due to be replaced by it.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, 62613 said:

Interesting to note that it looks like a set of points has been removed (just beyond WF38), but the 3rd rail is still in-situ and presumably still carrying current - again presumably it was, at the time, the easiest/quickest way to keep the traction supplies connected during track alterations, without the need for re-cabling everything, especially if any such cabling would only be "temporary" until all track modifications had been completed.

Edited by iands
spelling correction
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Glasgow and South Western photo’s at Ayr and Kilwinning, which ate full of interest. In C13967, at Kilwinning, with 156437 and 156434 on a Glasgow to Stranraer service on the 17th February, 1990, you can see that the drivers cab door is open on that rear unit, 156434. I wonder what was going on?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, 62613 said:

The photo was taken while the Waterloo Area Resignalling Scheme was in progress. Less than 5 months later, the terrible "Clapham Junction" collision occurred, during the next phase of the scheme.

And I think it was during those months that the project manager, who had worked for me in previous times, told me confidently that the scheme was going really well.......

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Market65 said:

In C13967, at Kilwinning, with 156437 and 156434 on a Glasgow to Stranraer service on the 17th February, 1990, you can see that the drivers cab door is open on that rear unit, 156434. I wonder what was going on?

That door is also the passenger door for that end of the saloon. Yikes!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

25 minutes ago, Market65 said:

But on the wrong side of the train the door should be closed or the train not in use. I can only assume there was an incident or a door fault.

Best regards,

Rob.

Look closer, there is the Guard looking out and suggests it may have been locally opened!

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, DaveF said:

The Glasgow and South Western at Ayr and Kilwinning today in February 1990.

That weekend a group of us stayed at a hotel in Ayr to visit the Glasgow exhibition.

For some reason I don't remember much about the weekend except that when I got home I had a very upset stomach, I think it was the kippers I ate for breakfast.

David

5 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Glasgow and South Western photo’s at Ayr and Kilwinning, which ate full of interest. In C13967, at Kilwinning, with 156437 and 156434 on a Glasgow to Stranraer service on the 17th February, 1990, you can see that the drivers cab door is open on that rear unit, 156434. I wonder what was going on?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

4 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

3 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Look closer, there is the Guard looking out and suggests it may have been locally opened!

Is it possibly related to Dave's 'dodgy kipper' stomach - I think the guard is reporting something 'foosty' in the carriage and is airing it before departure so the passengers can be free of the bouwfin smell.

• Funny 3

21 hours ago, DaveF said:

The Glasgow and South Western at Ayr and Kilwinning today in February 1990.

That weekend a group of us stayed at a hotel in Ayr to visit the Glasgow exhibition.

For some reason I don't remember much about the weekend except that when I got home I had a very upset stomach, I think it was the kippers I ate for breakfast.

Sadly you won't be able to stay in that hotel any more as it is literally falling down, sheathed in protective scaffolding and plastic it has an extremely uncertain future.

Jim

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Sadly you won't be able to stay in that hotel any more as it is literally falling down, sheathed in protective scaffolding and plastic it has an extremely uncertain future.

Jim

Presumably, that's the one that caused 'operating difficulties' to the adjacent railway recently?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1