Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

C9079 and C9495 - what are the two cylinders on top of the stone construction?

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Looks like water cylinders so the loco can get a top up whilst running round a train.

24 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Yes, water tanks, probably recycled from some other use.  A coaling platform is next door, to the height of the bunkers, again recycled from old sleepers by the look of it.  

The two cylinders are indeed the water tank which is at the north end of the platform.  The hose for filling loco water tanks is at the far end and is used all the time.

The wooden construction in the first photo was temporary, I think it was there to load spoil into wagons for disposal elsewhere on the railway as the roadway (now partly cobbled) on the right to give access to the station had to be excavated out of the cutting side.

There is now a coal area at the far end of the tank, again regularly used for topping up loco bunkers during the day.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, uax6 said:

In C8260 is that a Mark One with the LMS lettering on it? I presume its a private owner..

Andy G

It is either the support coach or one of the SRPS coaches - offhand I can't remember which.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Tanfield Railway photo’s as taken at Andrew’s House. So very interesting, and in the second photo’ with Judy, Alfred and No2, on the 8th September, 2013, I’m intrigued to know how anyone can drive and fire Judy and Alfred with their cabs being so tiny. There’s certainly no standing room in those cabs.

The BR photo’s of the Newcastle to Carlisle line are full of interest, and I particularly like C8621 at Hexham on the 5th July, 1987. The buildings, water tank and gates are all crying out to be modelled.

The coach visible in the last photo’ is a BR Mk1 BSK. You can tell from the space between the door and the first of the side corridor windows. Opposite to it is the toilet. You can see the toilet water pipes on the roof. I believe the coach was owned by those who owned and ran 5305.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

It is either the support coach or one of the SRPS coaches - offhand I can't remember which.

According to Platform 5 1986 edition, 5305 was from the Humberside Locomotive Preservation Group, which would mean the coach was ex Mk1 BCK E21214 running as HPLG 99420, based at Hull Dairycotes.

Andrews House Hawthorn Leslie 2 28th May 88 C9495.jpg - the size of that Cowpen wagon compared to the loco......

Hexham 5th July 87 C8621.jpg - I think that the inclusion of that car mirror bottom right is the only giveaway to the year.

Regards,

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

Saw quite a few in the eighties. Quite often on a failed 101 drag from Carlisle.

Yes I agree re Class 25's. They were always rare in the North East when I started out in 1978 and into the 1980's but you did get the odd one or two every now and again. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave 

More from my home territory today. The three at Bilsdean are just off the A1 which is on the seaward side of the line and the bridge was the old A1 which had a bypass and a new Bridge built over Dunglass Dean in the 1930s I think

C7930 shows the now disused sidings but originally the sidings were over on the left where the swingpark (just visible) is. I'm virtually housebound nowadays so I haven't been along there for years -its about three miles away.

C7907 - the line was realigned immediately west of the platforms due to mining subsidence about twenty years ago and the fields above the train are now full of houses.

Only C7930 is not draped in catenary nowadays.

Once again many thanks for publishing these

Edited by Steamysandy
Update
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Sorry to be so late, but I got caught out by the server issue. The site still seems slow at times this morning but lets hope it gets better soon.

Yesterday’s Scottish photo’s are delightful, and it’s really good to see all those HST’s. In C8942, at Bilsdean near Torness with 43161 on a down express on the 11th August, 1987, the power cars smoke deflector doesn’t seem to have been doing such a good job. Either that or cleaning of the cab roof had not been carried out so good.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the Midland line between Nottingham and Loughborough. They are all full of interest, and I particularly like J7808, of Ratcliffe on Soar, with a class 45 on a down ballast train in February, 1983. It’s hauling a good rake of ballast wagons, and it would be good to reproduce that train on a layout. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I’m very sorry to hear about your Mum’s health, and I hope she can recover back to full health very quickly. So, she must come first, your lovely photo’s can wait until things improve with your Mum’s health. 

I love the York photo’s which are so nostalgic. In C7849, with a class 141 Pacer railbus, car numbers 55520 and 55540 on the 3rd August, 1986, you can see the Tightlock coupler and the jumpers above it very clearly. It is those that until they were replaced with BSI couplers, that prevented the class 141’s from being able to couple in multiple with any other second generation DMU.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

David, while we all enjoy your pictures your home life is far more important.  

Hope things improve for your mum

Great to see York as a proper railway today. I've actually just got back from York I took the network rail saloon there yesterday with 37402

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1