Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DaveF said:

We stay in Northumberland today to see some trains on the ECML at Acklington (where the station is still open) and Buston Barns.

Acklington benefits from  trains to Newcastle  at 07.35  and 19.35 and one from Newcastle arriving at 18.32.

David

That sort of service is a joke in very bad taste. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Steamysandy said:

I know I live north of Berwick but I think the shot of 45104 is a real rarity because 45s were never common in these parts ( especially one with a nameplate that size!).

That nameplate was a replacement which was fitted by Tinsley depot after the loco was transferred there from Toton in 1986, in the latter days of D59 / 45 104s service life, as part of a general "tart up" of the loco (it was displayed at Bounds Green open day in May 1987). The original, 1964 nameplate was a wider, two-line plate, with "THE ROYAL" on the top line and "WARWICKSHIRE FUSILIERS" on the bottom line. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chris116 said:

That sort of service is a joke in very bad taste. 

Acklington does indeed have a very limited train service, however in 2011 its population was 544; Most places that size do not have a train service at all ! The nearest towns, Alnmouth and Morpeth, have far better services.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

C9129 mentions Dorking, where Sherry and I were at skool. But I was born in Betchworth, where this loco worked, apparently. The chalkpits were 'the wrong side of the line' really, for a youngster in my primary skool days, but I had classmates who lived in the cottages there, and almost certainly their fathers worked in the quarries. And the substantial white scars of the quarries are visible to this day. Amazing what one learns in this thread, thanks, Dave! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

J7643, the second HEA from the left in bright railfreight red has different springs. It looks like pedestal suspension. Don't think I have seen a photo of one with that fitted before.

From LTSV wagon profile for HBA/HEA (https://www.ltsv.com/w_profile_023.php):

Two further suspension experiments involved the fitting of modified hangers to at least one wagon (361798), and a Gloucester Floating Pedestal type to another (360285). The former had been converted to an RNA (qv) by 1992 while the latter remained as a HBA but was withdrawn by early 1986.

So I suspect DaveF has captured 360285 as that looks like Gloucester Floating Pedestal suspension. As it is in the flame red Railfreight livery I would have assumed it had HEA coding, rather than HBA, but I'm often wrong in these matters...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Beamish photo’s which are so full of interest from an NER viewpoint. In particular J7137, of Rowley Station, with NER number 876, which became LNER and BR class J21. It makes a splendid sight in NER livery. I wonder if it will ever get steamed again. 

The Bottesford tracklaying photo’s are both delightful and educational. In J8112, with a class 37 and 31191, I would like to find out exactly what the track machine, in the foreground, was used for. Track alignment work?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I love the Beamish photo’s which are so full of interest from an NER viewpoint. In particular J7137, of Rowley Station, with NER number 876, which became LNER and BR class J21. It makes a splendid sight in NER livery. I wonder if it will ever get steamed again. 

The Bottesford tracklaying photo’s are both delightful and educational. In J8112, with a class 37 and 31191, I would like to find out exactly what the track machine, in the foreground, was used for. Track alignment work?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

876 is due for restoration, it has Lottery money to assist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, micklner. That is excellent news. I hope I might get to see it in steam upon it’s restoration. It’s such a key example of a typical NER 0-6-0 tender engine, and I’m a bit sad more were not preserved. So all the more important to get it back in steam, and I’m glad it will be in due course.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from Crawford, of the WCML in Scotland. It’s a scenic area, and there are some great trains in the landscape photo’s here. In C8998, with 85013, on a down service, I can’t help but notice how all but two carriages are all firsts. I wonder if it was either an ECS or a special service of some kind?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 09/06/2019 at 17:17, Market65 said:

I would like to find out exactly what the track machine, in the foreground, was used for. Track alignment work?

My 1984 Platform 5 Track Machines book has 74000 listed as a 1980-built Permaquip Mk3 ballast packer, allocated to Doncaster in the book. It describes it as having its own hydraulic lifting turntable to transfer it onto the track, after being delivered to site by "a standard 3 tonne lorry". It uses "a pincer motion to pack ballast with eight hydraulically-powered independent packing arms".

• Thanks 2

The formation of the Scotsman in J3113 is interesting, because it has second class at both ends of the train and the first class next to the catering vehicles, albeit 'towards' the London end. This is almost like the old LNER practice, rather than the modern idea of 1st class at the London end, 2nd at the country end and the catering separating the two. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the ECML at Swayfield which are full of interest and nostalgia. That’s a classic view of a HST at speed on a down express in the last photo’, in August, 1981, and to think they are nearly all gone from frontline ECML services, being replaced by the class 800’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photo’s which show different aspects of Scottish railways and scenery. In C8050 at Glen Douglas on the 11th October, 1986, you can see how the mountains tower over the railway, and in C8952, at Grangemouth, on the 14th August, 1987, a completely different scene with an industrial outlook. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 11/06/2019 at 19:24, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the ECML at Swayfield which are full of interest and nostalgia. That’s a classic view of a HST at speed on a down express in the last photo’, in August, 1981, and to think they are nearly all gone from frontline ECML services, being replaced by the class 800’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

No ECML HSTs have gone yet, just 3 MK4 sets.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Going back a couple of days, I agree that J3113 is 9006. The nameplate is pretty distinctive.

J3130 is Class 47 1578.

J3214 is intriguing. It looks like 9013 as number and the nameplate like THE BLACK WATCH. The absence of a crest also fits as the loco lost it very early. The other possibles (HA allocated single lined name) 9000, 9004 and 9016 still had their crests in June 1973. However, 9013 is recorded on Chronicles of Napier as being in Doncaster Works all of May, June and July 1973 for intermediate repair. 9013 is recorded as working 1S42 on 6 & 27 Jan. 3 Mar. 22 Sept. and 3 Nov. 1973 but all those dates are during the week.

EDIT: was looking at Chronicles of Napier of my phone and the pages were not showing correctly. The data for 9013 is for 1972.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Going back a couple of days, I agree that J3113 is 9006. The nameplate is pretty distinctive.

J3130 is Class 47 1578.

J3214 is intriguing. It looks like 9013 as number and the nameplate like THE BLACK WATCH. The absence of a crest also fits as the loco lost it very early. The other possibles (HA allocated single lined name) 9000, 9004 and 9016 still had their crests in June 1973. However, 9013 is recorded on Chronicles of Napier as being in Doncaster Works all of May, June and July 1973 for intermediate repair. 9013 is recorded as working 1S42 on 6 & 27 Jan. 3 Mar. 22 Sept. and 3 Nov. 1973 but all those dates are during the week.

Thanks once again Andrew for the information.

I've had a look at Dad's notes for J3214 to check the date, it really is June 1973, it was probably taken in the first few days of the month judging by the other photos he took during the month.  So I suspect we will never know which Deltic it is for certain.

David

On 09/06/2019 at 09:52, caradoc said:

Acklington does indeed have a very limited train service, however in 2011 its population was 544; Most places that size do not have a train service at all ! The nearest towns, Alnmouth and Morpeth, have far better services.

Though the village is small, there used to be a busy RAF base nearby, which I believe is now a prison. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, DaveF said:

Thanks once again Andrew for the information.

I've had a look at Dad's notes for J3214 to check the date, it really is June 1973, it was probably taken in the first few days of the month judging by the other photos he took during the month.  So I suspect we will never know which Deltic it is for certain.

David

I have edited my previous post, which is wrong. I was actually looking at 1972 although my phone showed otherwise.

In June 1973, 9013 worked 1S42 on Saturdays 2nd and 9th June.

• Thanks 1