Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

The shot with the sentinel is a beauty

Must be a lot of fish in the area,

going by the heron on the bonnet.

I've often wondered why there was a plastic heron on the bonnet.  Perhaps it is there to scare the fish away - some of the ironstone quarries did have water in them.

David

there appears to be some kind of heightened action in this photo. looks like a war reporter under fire? :D

OK - so I'm ignorant of advanced photo manipulation - but what has been done to this image?

Everything appears excessively 'sharp' - the running / ducking chap seems to be wearing a 'rug'; (perhaps he is).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

OK - so I'm ignorant of advanced photo manipulation - but what has been done to this image?

Everything appears excessively 'sharp' - the running / ducking chap seems to be wearing a 'rug'; (perhaps he is).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

HI John,

I did wonder about putting this image on RM Web, the explanation follows.

The photo looks oversharp because it is oversharpened in Photoshop, the original slide was not as sharp as it might have been so it needed a "generous" application of "Smart Sharpen".  It was also a "cheap" brand of film, I think from Supasnaps when I was rather short of cash and it did not keep well even in a slide box which excluded light.  

The man running and ducking was wearing a garish woolly sweater and he was ducking as he had just realised that a group of us were trying to take a photo as he came into shot.  I could have removed him but I prefer to keep my photos on here as record of what was actually there on the day.

I hope this answers your question, sadly the more interesting photos I have taken are often technically the worst.  I don't think anyone else who was there that day has put a photo of Eastgate station on the web, and there can't be all that many photos of it with any sort of passenger train as it was closed to passengers in 1953 and to all goods traffic in 1980 after which the only traffic was the cement trains from the cement works at Eastgate.

David

HI John,

I did wonder about putting this image on RM Web, the explanation follows.

The photo looks oversharp because it is oversharpened in Photoshop, the original slide was not as sharp as it might have been so it needed a "generous" application of "Smart Sharpen".  It was also a "cheap" brand of film, I think from Supasnaps when I was rather short of cash and it did not keep well even in a slide box which excluded light.  

The man running and ducking was wearing a garish woolly sweater and he was ducking as he had just realised that a group of us were trying to take a photo as he came into shot.  I could have removed him but I prefer to keep my photos on here as record of what was actually there on the day.

I hope this answers your question, sadly the more interesting photos I have taken are often technically the worst.  I don't think anyone else who was there that day has put a photo of Eastgate station on the web, and there can't be all that many photos of it with any sort of passenger train as it was closed to passengers in 1953 and to all goods traffic in 1980 after which the only traffic was the cement trains from the cement works at Eastgate.

David

David,

Thanks for that - very interesting!

Weardale is one of my favourites; Eastgate, Westgate, St. John's Chapel (good pub), etc.

We stayed in St. John's for a week on a surveying course when I was at college, and I discovered the trackbed of the former mining tramway just above the village.

post-2274-0-76805900-1400502263.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 8

David,

Thanks for that - very interesting!

Weardale is one of my favourites; Eastgate, Westgate, St. John's Chapel (good pub), etc.

We stayed in St. John's for a week on a surveying course when I was at college, and I discovered the trackbed of the former mining tramway just above the village.

attachicon.gifSt. John's Chapel Lead Mine Tramway small.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John,

Was this the same tramway that ran parallel to the road towards Rookhope and beyond? I remember seeing old boundary markers around there.

John,

Was this the same tramway that ran parallel to the road towards Rookhope and beyond? I remember seeing old boundary markers around there.

No, it was only a short, horse-drawn affair serving a small opencast operation.

post-2274-0-35388600-1400507827.jpg

Regards,

John.

PS. Superb swimming pool below the waterfall next to the quarry - it was baking hot when we were there! The beer kept cool in the water, too.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Gold

A few more for this evening, all taken yesterday 18th May 2014.  I visited the new Aln Valley Railway at Alnwick Lionheart station.  This was a greenfield site just over two years ago, in due course the line will be extended onto the old line from Alnmouth to Alnwick.

On the way there I stopped at Buston Barns, just south of Alnmouth and at Alnmouth station.

post-5613-0-21876400-1400527114_thumb.jpg

Buston Barns 43302 down

post-5613-0-28746900-1400527118_thumb.jpg

Alnmouth 43320 up

post-5613-0-67430400-1400527122_thumb.jpg

Alnmouth 43313 up

post-5613-0-02471100-1400527106_thumb.jpg

Alnwick Lionheart Drewery shunter Drax

post-5613-0-69493800-1400527101_thumb.jpg

Alnwick Lionheart Class 11 12088 and p w train

post-5613-0-46385900-1400527091_thumb.jpg

Alnwick Lionheart Barclay ex NCB Whittle colliery and brake van

post-5613-0-90381400-1400527109_thumb.jpg

Alnwick Lionheart from the brake van

David

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hi DaveF, what a further great selection of photo's you've posted today. I particularly like the DMU - Dundee to Edinburgh - a good example of a mixed formation( I've taken the motor out of one of my class 105 DMBS cars so that I can run a like formation). The views at Alnwick Lionheart are good. It is good to see the development of that line progressing as well as it is, and it will good if they are able to get through to Alnmouth.

Great to see that you had a good day out yesterday.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

I like that last one.

4 wagons of at least two varieties followed by 3 (Three) brake vans and the rest of the train.

The "it never could have happened" brigade would be apoplectic!

Keep up the great work.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1

I like that last one.

4 wagons of at least two varieties followed by 3 (Three) brake vans and the rest of the train.

The "it never could have happened" brigade would be apoplectic!

Keep up the great work.

Regards

Ian

OTOH the "there's a prototype for everything" crew should be overjoyed. :jester:

Cheers,

David

What a good photo of Lowdham station - I alighted here many hundreds of times in my childhood (family lived across the other side of the village). As a child I always thought the station far too "chocolate box" for a railway. It was quite small inside and too frilly.

Great photos once more. Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi, DaveF, that class 25 hauled coal train is great indeed. I also noticed the mis-formed class 104, the TCL should be the other way around - these things happened often on the first generation units. More photo's please.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

A few from the ECML at Swayfield, just south of Stoke Summit.

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 25 D7503 down parcels Aug 71 C673.jpg

Swayfield Class 25 D7503 down parcels Aug 71 C673

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 31 5601 down empty sleepers and mail April 72 C868.jpg

Swayfield Class 31 5601 down empty sleepers and mail April 72 C868

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 40 257 down ex pass Oct 72 C1153.jpg

Swayfield Class 40 257 down ex pass Oct 72 C1153

attachicon.gifSwayfield 31157 down freight April 74 C1588.jpg

Swayfield 31157 down freight April 74 C1588

David

What lovely tidy embankments. Are you watching, Network Rail?

EDIT - thanks to 96701

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Premium

This thread consistently engages my interest, despite very few of the photos being of my areas of interest - it is just such a great record of how things were, I am really, really enjoying the photos, please keep them coming!