Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

I always love and enjoy catching up with your superb pics' and posts Dave, great to see the Hunslet saddle tank, was it ex' Bickershaw by chance? 

As far as I know the Hunslet "Cumbria" last place before preservation was the Shoeburyness Military Railway in Essex.

Here is a link to the loco's history:

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/hunslet-works-no-3794-wd194-no10-cumbria-0-6-0st/

Also this page:

http://www.furnessrailwaytrust.org.uk/othercumbria.htm

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Ilkie the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway photo’s, which show what a colourful railway it has been over the years. I particularly like C8896, at Linster Green, with a Hunslet called Cumbria, on the 9th, August, 1987. A particularly fine composition with the smoke captured perfectly.

The ECML photo’s between Peterborough and Grantham in the 1970’s are as always, so nostalgic. I love the foggy photo’, J3132, at High Dyke, with class 47, 1523 on an up service, in December, 1972.  A most atmospheric photo’ of the train powering its way through that fog.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Hi Dave, small correction to the caption of J6619. The loco on the left is Peckett 1925/1937 'Caliban' and the loco next to it isn't an Avonside, it looks more like a Hudswell Clarke although I cannot identify it at the moment.

Edit: The Hudswell Clarke is 1366/1919 'Renishaw Ironworks No.6'

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, avonside1563 said:

Hi Dave, small correction to the caption of J6619. The loco on the left is Peckett 1925/1937 'Caliban' and the loco next to it isn't an Avonside, it looks more like a Hudswell Clarke although I cannot identify it at the moment.

Edit: The Hudswell Clarke is 1366/1919 'Renishaw Ironworks No.6'

Nigel,

Many thanks.

I should have known Dad's notes were incorrect, the first loco looks nothing like a Barclay and I have seen Hudswell Clarke 1366 at the Tanfield Railway.

I really must remember to look closely at the images before I simply copy the notes from slide catalogues!.

David

More great pics Dave, wonderful stuff. The Brush Type 4 in J3132 looks like 1508 to me, one of the original 'generator' batch with the ETH gubbins mounted below the bufferbeam skirt, not 1523. Loving the fog...!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

"C7286 just oozes atmosphere."

I can see Dave using it for his Christmas card this year.

It would make an almost impossible 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle....

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Ulgham Lane crossing and Southside photo’s. They are all so full of interest and I like them all. In particular J7125 with an unidentifiable class 45 at Southside on an up service in August, 1980, makes a most impressive sight at the head of that train. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the York photo’s as always, and they help to bring back many and varied memories. In C8686, with 144001, on a service to Harrogate and Leeds, on the 13th, July, 1987, the headboard is of interest, and is something that I never saw at the time. It’s good to be able to see it now in that photo’. 

And yes, it’s been a long time since the introduction into service for that unit, far too long. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 18/03/2019 at 15:30, DaveF said:

519754721_Southside37134AlcanemptiesFortWilliamtoNorthBlyth12thAug86C7890.jpg.23a6bc9919998ba00460953caeeb951f.jpg

Southside 37134 Alcan empties Fort William to North Blyth 12th Aug 86 C7890.jpg

David

Just a question regarding the Grainflow PFA(?) covered hoppers mixed into the formation; does anyone know, were these used for the Alcan service after the grain finished, or were they simply mixed into the service for operating reasons?

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Just a question regarding the Grainflow PFA(?) covered hoppers mixed into the formation; does anyone know, were these used for the Alcan service after the grain finished, or were they simply mixed into the service for operating reasons?

Thanks,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

Yes - ex Grainflow hoppers used for Alcan traffic after Grainflow traffic ceased.

Loads of photos on web showing them in this use.

Having said that - I find I have only noted 4 wagon numbers being used but am ceratin that would just be bad timing on missing out others.

Edit

Toi add link to Paul's photo site

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brtgraincovhop/e22a99c0c

Thanks

Phil H

Edited by Scottish Modeller
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the WCML photo’s which are full of interest. In C9808, at Oxenholme, with 81011 and 85038, both coupled up and running down, light engine, on the 10th August, 1987, you can see much of interest, and it’s a good shot for those of us who have the Bachmann 85. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the latest Harrogate photo’s which bring back many happy memories. In J792, of a class 101 unit on a Leeds to West Hartlepool service on the last day of services over the Ripon line, in March, 1967, you can see, clearly, the two types of lining that the class carried over their time in the green livery.

And like you said, the last two photo’s give a most graphic demonstration of how the lineside can all too quickly get overgrown.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1