Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Continuing eastwards from Sleaford we come to a number of smaller stations on the way to Boston.  No trains in sight this evening, just like the real line for much of each day!

attachicon.gifnb Wyberton level crossing Sunbeam Rapier on crossing Feb 73 J3145.jpg

Wyberton level crossing Sunbeam Rapier on crossing Feb 73 J3145

Note that only 3 of the crossing gates have lights on them.

David

Signal box long gone but the board (I suspect) is still nearby on the wall or fence of a house with a narrow gauge line running round the garden, easily visible from passing trains.

Edited by great central

• RMweb Gold

Hi DaveF, the view of those 20's is also reminiscent of summer extra's on the line to Bridlington in the 70's. The photo of Wyberton crossing is a image of the type of crossing that is, mostly, long gone - but it is one which makes me want to have a go at making a model of it. This such good stuff that you are spoiling us with! Thank you.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, DaveF, terrific views. I like the point-rodding that can be seen in the class 31 photo's as well as the signal. Interesting details for all modellers. Please post more when you can. :)

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the b/g RF has the maroon-era 'restaurant car' on the side, but can't quite tell if it's upper case or not? There were lots of variations in bodyside lettering at the time on the new b/g livery

• RMweb Gold

Looks like the b/g RF has the maroon-era 'restaurant car' on the side, but can't quite tell if it's upper case or not? There were lots of variations in bodyside lettering at the time on the new b/g livery

I've had a look at the original scan and it is probably lower case, but I cannot be certain.  The original slide was to far "gone" to keep, the scan was a triumph of modern technology!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, DaveF, the class 114 DMU in early B.R. blue looks good. These are without doubt wonderful photo's indeed. Many thanks for them and hopefully more to come.

All the best

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Great photos ,is that a somersault signal at Boston Docks to the rear of the photo ? Skeggy to Sheffield in a class 114 is a mind boggling thought bad enough KX to Wood Green on one BR were sadists.!!!!!!

I believe it is a somersault signal.  If you do a Google (or other search engine) search you will find images of them from other photographers. 

As for the 114 journey try a trip from Manchester to Derby on a Class 105!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi DaveF, that photo of Nottingham Midland  goods yard 1951 is indeed a good example of how much the carriage of freight has changed over to road over all these years -  that photo is most thought provoking. The summers of '75 and '76 were indeed somewhat different, in that there were some notable thunderstorms in '75 - one of which produced snow (quite famously) over a part of London.

All the best,

Market65.

'75 was a good summer, but not as hot as '76.

Yes but 75 didn't end in one of the wettest winters ever - which 76 did. Wasn't it more that 75 was very hot and dry, so 76 started in a very bad place and got worse, until mid September when it began to rain - and it rained well into February 77. We had a holiday in Iran in the late spring of 75 and I remember thinking that the grass on the journey from Heathrow in early June 75 looked drier than Ahwaz - just as in the photo.

Paul

• Like 1

Yes 75 was hot, we moved back from Singapore that year so not too much of a culture shock. But there is a picture in Wisden of the West Indies cricket team being amazed by the snow in I think Buxton. I assume that they were over for the first cricket world cup because 76 was the start of them thrashing England regularly, Tong Greig grovelling, the beer can rhythm, Brian Close being battered, Viv Richards etc etc

• Like 3

Great photos ,is that a somersault signal at Boston Docks to the rear of the photo ? Skeggy to Sheffield in a class 114 is a mind boggling thought bad enough KX to Wood Green on one BR were sadists.!!!!!!

You travelled from Kings Cross to Wood Green in a class 114??

When was this? I never knew 114s got much further south than Peterborough.

Pedantic edit: Except for when E50000 & E56000 went to Stratford a couple of years after their official withdrawal.

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1

Hi DaveF, that photo of Nottingham Midland  goods yard 1951 is indeed a good example of how much the carriage of freight has changed over to road over all these years -  that photo is most thought provoking. The summers of '75 and '76 were indeed somewhat different, in that there were some notable thunderstorms in '75 - one of which produced snow (quite famously) over a part of London.

All the best,

Market65.

I think you may be referring to the Hampstead storm of 14th Aug 1975.

There were large quantities of rain (some estimate 200mm in just over 2 hours), although the nearest rain gauge to the storm centre at Hampstead recorded 171mm.

There was also copious amounts of large hail which would turn the area white, but as the afternoon temperatures had risen to 30 C there could not have been any snow I'm afraid. It is scientifically impossible at ground level.

• Like 1