Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 43110andyb said:

Could be a MK2 1600 Ghia? as both RS2000 & 1600 Sport had brandings on the rear panels I seem to remember. My pure (or poor) guess work unfortunately.

-Andy

No rear spoiler on the Ghia, could be a Mexico. I've asked a mate who used to rally Mk2s and had several RS versions.

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

No rear spoiler on the Ghia, could be a Mexico. I've asked a mate who used to rally Mk2s and had several RS versions.

Thanks Beast! Ps- It looks like the owner fancies a rally look with the rear spot & oversize mud flaps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

To my mind the best looking of FR liveries for both locos and coaches.  But it coincides with my own days of volunteering on the railway and this may explain my fondness for it.  It particularly suited the 'modern era' L & B inspired coaches.  I find the current liveries a bit twee and gaudy, though I'm sure the tourists love 'em.

• Thanks 1

On 18/06/2019 at 10:34, woodenhead said:

Or maybe so close to the end of steam they thought people may confuse the preserved railways with BR who wanted to project a modern efficient railway.

Not just BR. When Lambton numbers 5 and 29 left Philadelphia, they had to have 'NCB' painted out on the side tanks. That would be 1969 I think.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Ffestiniog Railway photo’s which are very atmospheric and the first one at Porthmadog, with Fairlie Merddyn Emrys, on the 6th August, 1979, is a great side view of the engine. 

The Grantham to Nottingham line photo’s show, once again, some of the double headed class 20 trains that ran to and from the Lincolnshire coast, and the one in the first photo’ is actually displaying the Royal Train disc headcode. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I had to look up Cotham as in my mind it was Gotham that was in that area. Gotham being near the gypsum works at Hotchley Hill, but I found Cotham, it being just south of Newark alongside the misleading River Devon and off the beaten track.......

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave

The location of today's photos is just North of the former portal of the now sealed tunnel.

Eric Treacy took photos fairly close by .In one of them a lady and her son and dog were standing trackside as an A4 passed on an up express and he referred to her in the caption of the photo.

I took the book to show it to a relative of mine who lived nearby and while we were discussing it a car drew up outside and it turned out to be the woman's other son!

His mother could remember the Minister taking the photo !

Edited by Steamysandy
Error
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 16:17, DaveF said:

This afternoon we travel westwards along the Grantham to Nottingham line, with a short detour along the line from Bottesford to Newark to see the works near Cotham.

1346121430_SewsternLanecrossing20070andanoDerbytoSkegnessJuly83J7999.jpg.ca20c7f880afe9ae07c1fe4589011f9b.jpg

Sewstern Lane crossing 20070 and ano Derby to Skegness July 83 J7999.jpg

For some reason this level crossing is shown as Sewerston Lane in the ER Sectional Appendix, Sewstern Lane is correct (it is also shown as Sewstern Lane on Google Earth).

In the latest ER SA (LN3635 Seq. 001) it is shown as Sewstern Lane (at 110M 69Ch). However, The Quail Map and the 5-Mile Diagrams both show it as Sewerston Lane, whilst the LNE LXings database has it listed as Sewerstern Lane but with an alternative name listed as Sewstern Lane. So between them they've got just about all the spelling combinations sussed - except "Sewsturn/Sewersturn" perhaps.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, iands said:

In the latest ER SA (LN3635 Seq. 001) it is shown as Sewstern Lane (at 110M 69Ch). However, The Quail Map and the 5-Mile Diagrams both show it as Sewerston Lane, whilst the LNE LXings database has it listed as Sewerstern Lane but with an alternative name listed as Sewstern Lane. So between them they've got just about all the spelling combinations sussed - except "Sewsturn/Sewersturn" perhaps.

Thanks for this Ian, I think the spelling has always been a problem.

I used to live in the next village to Sewstern (on the Lincs/Leics border), where the lane is supposed to lead to, even the locals therecouldn't always agree on the pronunciation of it, hence I suppose the various spellings.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Penmanshiel photo’s which are full of interest and show the diverted line. In particular, C8947, of HST with 43158 leading, on an up express, shows it’s accelerating well with a good flurry of exhaust. And in C8948, you have a perfect one vehicle freight train for those short of space on a layout, with 37226 and one van on an up train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

Thanks for this Ian, I think the spelling has always been a problem.

I used to live in the next village to Sewstern (on the Lincs/Leics border), where the lane is supposed to lead to, even the locals therecouldn't always agree on the pronunciation of it, hence I suppose the various spellings.

David

Hi David,

The local misspelling or mispronunciation isn't just confined to place names. Some distant relatives of mine are buried in Wykeham churchyard. The surname on one of the headstones is "Jennings", and on the other headstone (for the grave immediately next to the first) is his brother whose surname is engraved as "Jillens". Local "dialects" seemed to differ not only from area to area, or even village to village, but within the same family!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

That metro train going over the ECML in J7957 looks so out of place in the countryside.

It's only a tiny bit of countryside just there.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Sorry to be late tonight but I’ve just got home from a railway slide show in Hull.

The photo’s north of Newcastle are full of interest, and the first one, C13952, at Heaton Depot, with HST, 43038, leading, on an up express passenger service, going away from the camera, on the 20th January, 1990, confirms that I prefer the Swallow livery to the Inter City livery. I just think it is more restrained and classy.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1