Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bottesford photo’s which are full of interest. In particular I like J7385, with 37047, on a Parkeston Quay to Manchester service in May, 1981. A typical GE train still running in the early ‘80’s. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I was at Leicester Poly as it was in 1981 and there were plenty of weekends where St Pancras services were diverted to Euston from Bedford via Bletchley due to the BedPan electrification works, but I don’t remember any occasions of diversions to Kings Cross. They must have been rare - presumably only when the works were at Bedford itself and there was no access to the Bletchley line. Perhaps Eastwestdivide will remember better than me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I was at Leicester Poly as it was in 1981.....

Ha! I was there from 1982-83 (post-grad year). A handful of hours spent in the James Went building, most of it down by the railway!  :D

• Thanks 1

FYI, re J7528:  20 068 was recorded on "Jolly Fisherman" workings on several days from 19th to 25th July 1981 - but always paired with 20 073. Given that the trailing loco is disc-fitted, I'm pretty sure that you can be certain that that was what it was.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, dvdlcs said:

Suspect J7528 should be 20073 rather than 20273 as currently quoted. They stopped at '228 if nothing else...

Thanks.

It was a typing error, now corrected.

20 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I was at Leicester Poly as it was in 1981 and there were plenty of weekends where St Pancras services were diverted to Euston from Bedford via Bletchley due to the BedPan electrification works, but I don’t remember any occasions of diversions to Kings Cross. They must have been rare - presumably only when the works were at Bedford itself and there was no access to the Bletchley line. Perhaps Eastwestdivide will remember better than me.

I was a student at Leicester 80-83, and only remember a few occasions of engineering diversions into Euston via Bedford-Bletchley. Don't recall any instances of diversions into KX - perhaps it was out of term time and we weren't there, or a one-off for emergency purposes like a derailment at Trent Jn or somewhere strategic like that.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of Birmingham International and Birmingham New Street stations. All are full of interest and the first photo’, at Birmingham International of 86234 on a Birmingham to Euston service in October, 1980, J7259, shows a whiteish weathering on the underframe of the 86, and the Mk1 BG. I’m wondering exactly what the nature of it was. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of Birmingham International and Birmingham New Street stations. All are full of interest and the first photo’, at Birmingham International of 86234 on a Birmingham to Euston service in October, 1980, J7259, shows a whiteish weathering on the underframe of the 86, and the Mk1 BG. I’m wondering exactly what the nature of it was.

At a guess I would say from a rather wet bed, so liquid clay pumping up through the ballast somewhere.

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

J7267, is that a 310 in multi with a 304?

I've just had a look at the original scan and it is a 304 and 310 in multiple.

There were a lot of extra workings for people to get to the Motor Show, I think some 304s were brought down from the Manchester/Liverpool area to strengthen some workings and to provide extra services.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, DaveF said:

I've just had a look at the original scan and it is 1 304 and 310 in multiple.

There were a lot of extra workings for people to get to the Motor Show, I think some 304s were brought down from the Manchester/Liverpool area to strengthen some workings and to provide extra services.

David

I know I’m not the most knowledgeable on such matters, but assume the same applies to J7253, where a 312 is at BNS. I associate these units, then still fairly new, with GE services. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I know I’m not the most knowledgeable on such matters, but assume the same applies to J7253, where a 312 is at BNS. I associate these units, then still fairly new, with GE services. 

312s were also used around Birmingham - I can remember them from my trips to NS in the 70s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_312

Four units were for the West Midlands

Edited by woodenhead
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Hexham photo’s. They have captured so well the way the railway was back in the 1980’s. In C8601, at Dilston, with 143023, on the 5th July, 1987, in the background, you can see a telegraph pole leaning well over to the left. I hope it was safe leaning at such an extreme angle.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I can remember 304s being rostered for the Birmingham-Walsall circuit so they were usually to be found around Birmingham

6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

When I used to go BNS - Duddeston or Bescot in the late 70s it was always a 312/2, these being LMR units that seemed to be exclusively on the Walsall circuit.. All the other 312s were ER. The 304s were seen dwon to Rugby, maybe Northampton, but were rare further south IME.

Dave

• Thanks 1

310's staple units in Coventry with local services (I lived just down the road from Canley) and all the 304's made appearances at one time or another.....plush but lively ride and dusty seats! There were four 312's on the Mids section and all were regulars in Coventry. 

Regards

Guy

• Thanks 1

The 4 LMR Class 312 sets, 312201-204, were introduced in 1976 to provide additional capacity in connection with the opening of Birmingham International, and were allocated to Bletchley Depot along with the Class 310 units.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Still remember the two times I managed to see Tinsley Yard and hump shunting around 1982/3. If memory is right you had to catch a bus having walked through the Hole in the Road and it cost 2p or something daft even then for kids.

Sadly didn't have camera but still have the memories 36-7 years later.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Sheffield area photo’s which are all full of interest. The first photo’, at Woodburn Junction, Sheffield, GCR, in October, 1976, shows how coal was being stockpiled, presumably with future miners strikes in mind - unless it was a result of that long hot summer.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1